SF49erFaithful's 2008 NFL Mock draft (january edition)

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by SF49erFaithful, Jan 10, 2008.

1. SF49erFaithful

SF49erFaithful Crabtree FTW

1. Miami - Chris Long

2. St. Louis - Jake Long

3. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan

4. Oakland - Darren McFadden

5. Kansas City chiefs - Glenn Dorsey

6. NYJ - Vernon Gholston

7. New England (from SF) - Mike Jenkins

8. Baltimore - Malcolm Jenkins

9. Cincinatti - Sedrick Ellis

10. New Orleans - Dan Connor

11. Buffalo - Ryan Clady

12. Denver - Keith Rivers

13. Carolina - Malcolm Kelly

14. Chicago - Desean Jackson

15. Detroit - Antoine Cason

16. Cardinals - Aqib Talib

17. Minnesota Vikings - James Hardy

18. Houston Texans - Kenny Phillips

19. Philidelphia - Derrick Harvey

20. Tampa - Xavier Adibi

21. Washington - Jeff Otah

22. Dallas (from Cleveland) - Felix Jones

23. Seattle - Jonathan Stewart

24. Pittsburgh - Sam Baker

25. Tennessee - Early Doucet

26. NYG - Pat Sims

27. SD - Chris Williams

28. JAX - Gosder Cherilus

29. GB - Martenellus Bennett

30. Dallas - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

31. SF (from Indy) - Quentin Groves

32. Forfeited pick (from NE spygate)

Round 2

1. Miami - Kentwam Balmer
    2. St. Louis - Calais Campell
    3. KC - Brian Brohm
    4. Oakland - Andre Caldwell
    5. Atlanta - Rashard Mendenhall
    6. New York Jets - Kevin Smith
    7. Baltimore - Adarius Bowman
    8. SF - Mike Pollack
    9. Cincy - Ali Highsmith
    10. New Orleans - Leodis McLevin

AnthonyE likes this.
  2. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

Kenny Phillips?!

I love it.

Only problem I have with the mock is I'm not so sure Felix Jones is the 2nd best RB in the draft.

3. SF49erFaithful

Yeah, that's definitely debatable. But part of that pick had to do with the Jerry Jones - Arkansas tie.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

as more and more people figure out the obvious, they'll start putting Chris Long to Miami in every mock. just makes more sense than anyone else right now.

and Balmer is a Parcells guy up front, too.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Take a mere safety with Sam Baker and especially Jeff Otah still on the Board ? Not gonna happen.

6. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

why would buffalo take clady when they have peters?? both seem to be (exclusive) LT candidates

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

How about this scenario?
    Corner back Asomugha free agent from Oakland. Offer this 26 year old $20million for five years with $10 as a bonus. $2m base + $2m bonus= $4m cap.

Running back Mewelde Moore Viking free agent. Offer $15m for five years with $5m bonus. $2m base + $1m bonus= $3m cap hit. This back up for Minnesota is 5'11" 210 with excellent stats and some of you have voiced he is an excellent RB. Pretty good receiver out of BF.

OLB all pro Lance Briggs. Offer $40million for five years with $15m bonus. Contract to be structured like Nate Clemments (thanks for info Infantrycak) with $1m first year + $3m bonus= $4m cap hit for 08. Now here is the sweetner for Briggs. Guarantee all the money!

Total cap hit for 2008 is $11million and more could be offered to sign these three if needed and still allow $ to sign draft selections and our FA.

Draft:

1. Kenny Phillips who slipping or not is by far best FS and 610 radio mentioned that Demps agent may have priced him out of Texan's plans.

3. I am hoping for a trade down and getting a 2 but let's go with what we have and draft a LT. Alex Boone (may be gone),Nathan Collins or Tony Hill. I think Michael Oher and Gosder Cherilus will be gone. The latter had difficulties after switching to LT last season but should do well as a back up to Salaam for a year and allow our starter some time off each game. Our new A'head coach and the Oline coach should both be able to turn him into a starter, if he is available.
    4. Mike McGlynn C/OT/OG/long snapper 6'5" 317 5.25 Pittsburgh I selected him for center and long snapper who can back up the oline.
    5. Chris Harrington DE 6'5" 268 A&M leading tackler on D line 2 years in row.
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=8890
    6& 7 BPA
    If this scenario was to work out it should address all holes. I am concerned that Andre Davis might not sign. JJ may be #2 then but still a ?

8. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Sounds good, although I think Asomugha will go for more money. I'm really warming up to Mewelde though and think he could be a great addition to our team. He's still pretty young too (only 25 or 26).

9. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

no way Kenny Phillips slips to the Texans. he is the best playmaking db in the draft. Saints will take him if not & he does slip a little he won't get by Arizona. in this case Rick Smith should trade down 2-3 picks for additional 3rd & take Sam Baker.

also some of your 2nd rd. picks are mid first rd. talent. I'm sure Miami, St. Louis, KC, Oakland & Atlanta would love this scenero but its not happening.

10. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Not sure Bennett is first round talent...in fact NM i don't think he is first round talent. He's not even close to Olson from last year.

Brohm I think goes first round well as Campbell. Also Don't see why KC takes him with Brody Croyle as Herm's guy.

Don't see why Jake Long goes to St. Louis just yet with Pace there.

Stewart to Seattle just makes sense if he's there and I think he's the second best back in the draft not Felix... but I do agree on the jerruh jones influence. It wouldn't suprise me however to see them take Desean Jackson with TO aging and Glenn getting up there as well. IT wouldn't surpise me with Wlater Jones getting older seeing them go OLINE in Seattle. They just have not been the same team since they lost Hutchinson.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

That's what I keep asking. Didn't Peters just make second team all pro ? They've had a spot of trouble at the DT position. Doubt ellis makes down that far.

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

Asomugha is a $50 million guy.

13. threetoedpete

I'm praying that soemone else solves the Phillips riddle befor we come up to bat.

One thing I do agree with in this mock...the corners will be hot commodities.

25. Tennesse. Anyone who's seen Tennesse this season KNOWS...they don't need the flashiest WR....they need the most dependable...most athletic, best hands WR, they can get. I believe they are in the market...they'll take the Cb first with KR tallents or a Will LB. Then they'll cherry pick the vacuum hands at reciever on day two.

14. threetoedpete

At least. The last hot CB went for eighty. If he's as good as we're projecting he's agent would be an ***** to take less than 50 mill.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Clements signed $80 m for eight years. He was 27. Anyone think he will play the entire contract? Give Asomugha an 8 year deal and back load it like Clements (only $26million was guaranteed). Up the bonus to $25 (Bonus hit is $3m + the base, say $3m (3 times what Clements received) and the cap hit is only $6m and still doable.

16. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

even with a certain mr jones returning next yr? :wild:

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

If i am remembering right things aren't looking real good for his return even next year.

:bat:

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not only that, but Finnegan & Harper are looking pretty good.

19. SF49erFaithful

Obviously that's a definite possibility. But in Denver Kubiak largely used mid-late round guys at O-line. And you guys have needed a tackle for a while but have never really taken one. That was my reasoning behind the pick, fwiw.

20. SF49erFaithful

I think Kenny Phillips had like 1 interception this year. I only watched about 1 Miami game, but from what I've gathered seems like he's valued where he is because of his athletic ability.

Also, who did you have in mind particularly about my 2nd round guys? I don't see those guys going in the 2nd unrealistic at all.