Seth Wand is starting LT

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tacoman_j, Aug 28, 2006.

1. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

2. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

3. Peldon

Peldon All Pro

Especially when they say earlier in the article that Lundy and Morency are sharing the load with Antowain Smith.

4. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

Megan Manfall also writes for the Chronicle

5. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

LOL Then she should pull her head out of her ### and look around!!!! Some people!

6. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Megan Manfull has been out for a while on maternity leave. So this is an old article. Sorry to burst everyone bubble.

7. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Manfull and the article contained other questionable statements ... I'm not saying it's not possible but I'm taking with a big grain of salt until I see this confirmed elsewhere. IMO Wand has shown good improvement but has made his own mistakes.

8. Divebomb

Divebomb Veteran

Hey thank goodness. I about had a stroke LOL. I was afraid we hade a Cowboys troll inbeded in the Chron.

9. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

This is pretty easy to believe to me. If you watched any of the games during the pre-season than you would have noticed how Spencer lacks the footwork in order to keep the defenders from beating him. Although he is strong as hell and has a strong first punch, that's all he has. He often over extends himself out on DE's and that leaves the inside open to bring down the QB. Wand is much better in his footwork, but he is really weak in the upper body and lets the defenders lock into him to much. So pick your poison. Would you rather have a young inexperienced LT that has bad footwork and will get beat on the inside/outside, but good upper body strength or an experienced LT that is weak in the upper body and lets defenders into his body, but has very good footwok. Carr success starts up front!

Runner likes this.
  10. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

Well if this is true i am disapointed i was hoping Spencer would start. I think in a few years he could be a pro bowler.

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Aside from the fact that the article might not be up to date why would this suck? I'd expect Wand to beat out a rookie LT with as little experience as Spencer has. I'd also expect the coaches to start the one that gave us the best chance to win.

It doesn't matter if it's Wand or Spencer I want the best guy we have for the position to play it.

Runner likes this.
  12. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

I couldn't agree more! With Wand starting ahead of Spencer I think our # of sacks will be lesser compared is Spencer started off the season with no experience and his bad footwork. Looks like a Wand is diffently going to have his hands full throughout the first half of the season. Have you seen our schedule and his matchups. He should have it a lot easier during the second half of the season although.

13. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

That makes sense, but it was the August 27 up top that threw me off.

14. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Even if the article is old, I'd be willing to bet anyone that he starts the season.

15. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I'm not so confident so as to bet you, but it wouldn't surprise me if Spencer makes the starter role. That he started against the Broncos -- the closest thing we have to a regular season dress rehearsel -- IMO is testament that Kubiak is very seriously considering the prospect, if he hasn't already decided on it.

Wand has shown substantial improvement but IMO there is a lot of sunshine blowing when it comes to the guy on this board. I have watched a lot of tape the past few weeks and he has made his own mistakes. I will happily admit that I may have been quick to condemn Seth back when we were early into camp and I was reporting on his position drill work, but I stand by my assertion that he is not likely the franchise LT of this team. There is plenty of time yet for him to prove me wrong but I'm still leaning toward Spencer inheriting the position sooner rather than later.

16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Seems reasonable to me. He has had one year of playing experience with mixed results and Spencer has not beat him out. Carr has had 4 years playing with mixed results and hasn't been beaten out. They both have had equally bad coaching and systems to work with. The difference is Wand was beat down by the last staff and Carr was propped up. If Carr gets another half to full season to prove himself, why not Wand? Is the double standard that blatant?

Because Wand has a stigma associated with his name from the Joe Pendry days. In reality, Wand's play on the field now is well above his play in 2004. An evaluation of Wand and Spencer's pre-season game play without regard for the name on the jersey does not support the conclusion that Wand sucks and Spencer is a Pro Bowler in the making. Spencer just gets the benefit of the doubt since he's new and hasn't disappointed anyone yet.

That being said, a case could be made that our two best tackles are Wand and Spencer, and it does suck that they are both on the left side. I wonder if that will change.

17. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

So in all of this were does winston fall i fell in love with him during draft time on NFL radio with PK Calling him a monster and praising him saying he was 1st round talent.

18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i really need to go back and re-watch the last couple of games, but it's seemed to me that the two are backwards. i thought spencer looked better in pass protection, while wand really appeared to pick up the zone scheme. wand's known more for his footwork and agility, while spencer's the big body, but from the play that i've seen ... they looked to be the opposite of what was expected. as of right now, i'm guessing that the two are about even as far as who's projected to start. i bet it comes down to our initial gameplan as to who gets the nod. either way, i'm MUCH more worried about the right side of the line.

19. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

I have also seen alot of tape this year as well, but the deciding factor will be GK deciding to go with an unexperienced LT who is really built like a guard or the experience (although limited) of Wand who has done a better job in my grading of him compared to Spencer. The first half of the season is giong to be really hard for whoever GL sticks in there at LT. I do agree that Wand at best is a servicable LT and the only reason he will start over Sencer is, because of his footwork and experience. Spencer is strong in the upper body, but has a long way to go with his footwork. Wand has great footwork, but is weak in the upper body. Pick your Poison!

20. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I think reality struck in Winston's case. For as highly touted as he was by some, he wasn't a first round talent as evaluated by the NFL teams. There were many posts during OTAs that Winston would end up being the starting LT this year. Spencer's good play and rapid adjustment to the pro game made people forget about Winston. Fans are fickle.

As someone stated before though, we have some good depth along the line and especially at tackle for a change. The future does look bright for the o-line.