Seth Wand getting all the first-team reps at left tackle

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, May 17, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Texans | Wand getting all the first-team reps at left tackle
    Tue, 16 May 2006 22:35:57 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans OT Seth Wand took all of the repetitions at left tackle with the first team during the team's organized team activities Tuesday, May 16. "If we went out and were trying to mold a left tackle in the draft, what we're looking for is a young man with that type of size and length that can run," head coach Gary Kubiak said. "He (Wand) would be a guy we would chisel out."

Kubiak has faith in him. Hopefully he produces.

2. texman8

texman8 Veteran

?????

3. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3868790.html

Kubiak sees key in Wand
    Texans coach says he's ready to chisel winner from raw material

4. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

As important as the O-line is, we need good coaching for the backs, tight ends, and Carr. The sacks came from failures in each position. The Texan's RBs need to be better at picking up the blitz and Carr is going to need some mental discipline to keep cool and trust the guys around him. I think keeping Carr was the right thing to do, but he needs to improve his game just like everyone else.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Posessing a reasonable level of humility, it confounded me the past two years some of the decisions the coaching staff made. Benching Seth Wand for Victor Riley was one of those decisions that I just couldn't comprehend. It seemed so obviously bad to me that I assumed I was somehow in error. Surely a staff of men with NFL experience was more qualified to identify talent.

Remarkably, this apparently wasn't the case. From 200 miles away without the game film, I was more able to assess the talent on the Texans than the previous staff. I may have been even better able to call offensive plays than those in charge during the last 14 games. Maybe I was correct also in thinking that the QB definitely should be able to audible to a pass. Going even further, I had thought that the goal for the team during the first three quarters should be to dominate the opponent, not simply keep the game close. I also remember thinking that Aaron Glenn could be a valuable player to have, even if he lost his starting job. After all, many defensive sets contain three or four CBs and he was still a good one. I also didn't see the value in starting a 30 year old receiver with bad hands who runs bad routes when there were younger guys with better hands and/or better speed sitting on the bench- probably sitting on the waiver wire as well, many of whom could run crisper routes or at least be taught to run crisper routes.

It is important for my mental, spiritual health that this staff show itself to be competent. Otherwise, I could end up like one of those obnoxious fans that think they know more and understand the game better than those in it. I don't want to be one of those guys... Please Coach Kubiak. Please exhibit expertise in your field while you coach the Texans. My soul may depend on it.

6. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

I dont cre who starts I am just tired of the shuffling that goes on with the OLine here, when we think about our line I just want to ramble off who they are without even thinking about it. Good Luck Seth.

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

My sentiments exactly Dale !
    This single decision by Capers & Co was so inexplicable, I sometimes really wondered if they were trying to sabotage the team !

Runner likes this.
  8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

awesome quote dalemurphy, one that I would also subscribe/prescribe too :thumbup

the shuffling that is the Texans offensive line has been a constant source of ridicule & conjecture. if Gary can figure out just this one thing (along with Sherman) they would have my everlasting appreciation and respect. that being said I still think an injection of attitude would go along ways & a starting line of LT- Pitts LG- Winston C- Flanagan RG- Weigert/McKinney RT- Spencer will be the starting cast at some point during the upcoming season :twocents:

9. texman8

texman8 Veteran

LT Wand/Spencer
    LG Pitts
    C Flanagan/Hodgden
    RG Weigert/McKinney
    RT Winston

10. The shuffling has been the biggest setback for this offense since the 2nd season. Ever since this board started I touted that the offensive line needs time to gel, and low and behold, every year it's a completely different lineup. It wasn't just a single new face here and there, it was every season that we had a complete change in the lineup. That just can't happen. Guards playing tackles, tackles playing guards, tackles playing Tight ends, etc... I just want some continuity. If Wand is the LT then let him be the LT FOR 2 SEASONS!!!!!!

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Imagine this as our long-term line:

LT Wand
    LG Pitts
    C (yet to be added to the team)
    RG Spencer
    RT Winston

I think that could be a good line for years to come if Wand develops into a good LT.

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

If there is a change, that is the most likely one I see between now and the start of the season. Winston might be skilled enough to break into the line-up as a rookie. Spencer needs some seasoning, as does Hodgdon. The Weigert/McKinney decision if Winston does make starter would be interesting.

That being said, I think we start the season Wand-Pitts-Flanagan-McKinney-Weigert and let the rookies grow into their roles.

That has possibilities in 2-3 seasons. That would indicate we’ve reached some level of stability too.

I'll drink to that!

13. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Well, crap is not very rigid, so of course it is going to move around

14. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Brilliant statement from the land of fruits and nuts.

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Our line next season I project as this (at least to start the year):

LT: Salaam
    LG: Pitts
    C: Flanagan
    RG: McKinney
    RT: Weigert

In a few years I see it as

LT: Wand
    LG: Spencer
    C: No Clue
    RG: Pitts
    RT: Winston

16. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

It's nice to see the confidence Kubiak has in Wand and the whole team. I like that :cool:

17. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

If Salaam is our starting LT we're in trouble, he is another Victor Riley...

18. Runner

I'm pulling this over from the Murphy thread:
    If Salaam is that bad, maybe there is room for Murphy on the roster.

19. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

NO he is MUCH better then Victor.

Spencer LT
    Pitts LG
    Flanagan C
    Wiegert RG
    Winston RT

That is what I hope our Line can look like.

20. Runner

I did a little checking around since I hadn't watch him much, and I now agree with this statement. Salaam is better than Riley.

(If anybody cares what I think)