Seriously...it's this simple

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jamil, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jamil

jamil Rookie

During our win streak and that game we should've won (Ind) we did one thing really well. Get the ball to Andre, and get it to him early and often. Force feed him during the opening quarter and let everything else open up off that.

isn't it that simple? :gun: sorry for the obvious but why aren't we doing this every game?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

for one....we don't play winless teams every game...that factors into some of it. Our "only" ever 3 game win streak came against 2 winless teams you know. Frankly, we have only won 3 games this season and two of those wins came against winless teams. Say that 3 times and it starts to sink in.

3. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Agree with vinny, anyone know our turnover ratio during the win streak compared to the losses?

4. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Losses
    =====
    Pittsburgh 1, Houston 3
    Tennessee 2, Houston 3
    Jacksonville 0, Houston 0
    Indianapolis 1, Houston 3
    Minnesota 1, Houston 3
    Baltimore 0, Houston 4

TOTAL Opp. 5, Houston 16

Wins
    ====
    Miami 1, Houston 4
    Detroit 0, Houston 1
    Cincinnati 3, Houston 0

TOTAL Opp. 4, Houston 5

Blake likes this.
  5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I kind of hope they would start out with a bunch of short passes and screens. Build confidence, momentum, wears down defenses running after WR and then boom: Slaton in their face.

But what do we get? Trying a little of everything and not being successful at anything.

6. ATXtexanfan

Thank you showtime 100, averaging about three turnovers a game is the problem

7. mike moffat

mike moffat Hall of Fame

I hate to say it, but, last night on Monday night football, I heard something that I had to agree with. Late in the game, one of the announcers (I don't remember who it was) stated that the whole game boils down to a team's take away - loss ratio.
    Stats show that if a team has a +1 in that ratio, they win 80% of their games. I would be estatic with an 80% win rate. We will probably wind up with about 20%.

8. jamil

jamil Rookie

you don't think giving 80 early screens, slants, and some quick outs would alleviate some (definately not all those *****) TO's? I think it would make everything a lot easier if we keep doing this.

9. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

[​IMG]

'Turnovers...it's what's for dinner!'

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

young team, young players, young head coach with little experience at being a head coach = not so good a record for a while

I'm still willing to stick it out with Kubiak though. If you are a long time Oiler fan such as myself, you realize that history does not favor teams replacing their head coachs like socks.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

So, basically, we need to bring back HWSNBN and let him throw 2 yard passes all day? :headhurts:

I do think the QBs are the biggest problem, at least in the short run; but, no, I wasn't being serious with the above question.

PS-First round RB with size?

12. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

First round defense we need to make the front seven stout first you can pick up a rb in free agency or late in the draft. If we can get Mario and Demeco some help up front it will do wonders for their production plus make the db's look better. Fire Richard Smith too that would help also.

13. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Noteably, the 49ers RAN the ball more. I don't know what the final stats were, but their run to pass ratio was closer to 50/50 than the crazy pass all the time Martz stuff.

Yes, it is possible to fumble the ball running. But when a ton of your turnovers are happening from your QB position then maybe your QBs aren't making the best decisions and/or being pressured too much.

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Both QBs were pressured quite a bit last night, especially off the edge, and especially Warner.

The running game produced 46 yds on 19 carries.
    Warner was sacked only once but got knocked quite a bit (2 roughing the passer penalties called), or he almost always had to hurry.
    There was also at least one holding call 'cause the LT couldn't fence off the DE. And a bunch of false starts.

Yet the old man was able to manage 32-42-328 yds, 3 TDs, zero INT, zero fumble.

The Niners ran more in the first 3 quarters when they were ahead. For the game they had 28 carries and 40 passing attempts.

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Exactly, if anyone was watching that game last night how could you not notice the similarities between Shaun Hill and Sage. At least having a running game stopped the bleeding to a certain extent. Even though they gave up 29 points I thought the 49ers defense did a pretty solid job overall considering the Cardinals are the highest scoring team in the league and were playing at home (not to mention some ridiculous turnovers by their offense).

We don't have to scrap everything we do on offense but we have to become more balanced, way more balanced. We went from Capers and that is one end of the spectrum all the way to what Kubiak has done lately and we have to find some middle ground. Our defense is not nearly good enough to stop teams if they have to deal with all those turnovers. Heaven help me I wouldn't mind us playing to "keep it close" in the 4th a bit just to get us out of this funk.

16. ATXtexanfan

Heard on 610 yesterday that andre johnson has 1 fumble, all the other turnovers are on matt and sage, wow

17. ATXtexanfan

I understand what your saying, but with our turnover prone qb's your asking for a pick 6

18. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

its not that simple

for one Minn made sure that they where going to take out our QB that stops the MAtt 2 AJ plan right there

and the balty game we throw to AJ like 4 times but i think he dropped one pass

but i think there just got a better Pass defensive IMO

19. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

Yea I was thinking along these lines the other day.

It just hit me, the RB's are really doing a great job of protecting the football, I remember past seasons of cursing fumble after fumble on simple run plays.

20. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

That was a knock on Slaton coming out of college but he has done a good job holding the ball so far.