Season in Review: Cornerbacks

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 4Texans, Jan 26, 2010.

1. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

From the Texans website;

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6032

2. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

Dunta, didnt one of the RAMS(yeah i said rams) WR burn you? Lucky the QB wasnt good to complete the pass. Glover Quinn was great this year. Just a bit more experience and dont be surprised if he starts shutting people down. Welcome to Quinn Island:evil:

3. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I would like to see dunta stay tbh

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

5. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

http://http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=6032

Robinson didn't pick off any passes, but was proud of the way he contributed in 2009. "Every Sunday, I lined up against the best receiver on the field," Robinson said. "Not one receiver can say, ‘Man, when I played against the Houston Texans this year, I torched them.' Not one receiver can say that."

That brings up a question for me. Was Dunta playing more of a bend but don't break coverage? I'm not sure that there are many folks out there in TT land that was screaming at him more than me for the school bus size cusion that he seemed to give every WR. with that being said...his quote made me try and think back to how many times he did get "torched". With the hugh cusion he was consistantly getting beat underneath, but don't remember him getting beat deep (and WR making the catch) that much. Was this some sort of self admittance that he can't lock on to a WR and stay with him, but smart enough to know that he can keep the underneath reception from turning into a big gainer?

6. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Arizona's Running Back torched him on the ground and Larry Fitzgerald torched him in tha air.

Dunta STFU and take your Lower pay and sit there untill called

7. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

What is Dunta talking about? I thought we played coverage by side, where Dunta always lined up on one side of the field and whoever was number two lined up on the other side.

8. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

That's what they've done in the past, but this year they had him move around to follow the top receiver.

Maybe that's Bush's philosophy, or maybe they were just making him earn every penny.

9. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

To accomplish that he would have had to cover the TE and BOTH WR at the same time.

Malloy likes this.
  10. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

The cornerback position makes me nervous. I'm simply not ready to buy into what everyone is saying about Quin being a shut-down receiver. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy and have high hopes for him, but as of right now its just that...hopes. I would not feel comfortable going into next season with him lining up against top receivers.

The Dunta situation is still a mess. It still seems like he has a really high opinion of himself and will be looking for a big pay day. Chances are he will want more $ than he's worth, and some other team will give it to him if he decides to test FA.

Reeves is a solid player and I'm glad he is on our team. He provides us with consistency that we don't get from any other player.

There is some potential here, but we definitely need to add another corner or two to this team before the next season starts.

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Winnah! :)

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I thought Quin was exceptional for a rookie as well. I cannot recall seeing a Texan CB make as many plays, in a season, with the ball in play than he.

13. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I don't really mind if he stays, but I dont want the team to feel complacent with his "lockdown coverage abilities". I'd like Quinn to play a little saftey, truth be told.

14. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I still say let Dunta waste some other team's money. #1 CB's aren't supposed to allow catches and then tackle. #1 CB's are guys other teams should be hesitant to throw towards. Dunta's not scaring anybody.

15. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Hey Dunta,

I had a very good game against YOU and The Texans.

Signed,

Kenny Britt

16. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Quin did really well this season and I love hearing that from Kubiak. Steal in the 4th round!

Thinking of steals in the 4th round at the CB position... so was Fred Bennett in his rookie season. I hope Quin continues to improve but it sounds like Bennett is on his way out. Any chance he can rebound? What is his attitude and work ethic like?

I think we've got great depth at the position but not a true #1 CB. I think Quin, Robinson and Reeves are all better as the 2-4 cb's. If we could just add a true #1, then we'd have a very good secondary. Another #2 or nickle would help but it definitely wouldn't push us over the edge.

I relate it to our WR's. Imagine our wr's without Andre. I think they're all good but none are true #1's. Add in AJ and the others fit their roles perfectly and it becomes the strength to our team. I'm not saying we need an AJ calibre guy for CB, but one that fits the #1 mold and that's not Dunta.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Hopefully in the first post-Hoke era opportunity we will see a rookie DB progress in his second season.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Wow. CB position is so weak it's really amazing to think the D was much improved.

Dunta-contract issues and missed camp. Had the pressure on him to perform VERY well and turned in an okay card at best. Sign him to a deal that fits his game or let him walk with all that talk.

Reeves-played solidly but clearly was missed in the first month. I think he's our nickel of the future

Quin-how awesome is it to have a 4th round guy contributing? AND doing well? Nice. Potential starter next year over Reeves or even at FS because he tackles so well.

McCain-dimeback but totally an upgrade over Bennett. Speed and seems to know where he is on the field.

Bennett-sucks

Molden-sucks because he can't play.

I see a high round pick going to the secondary, either FS or CB 1st or 2nd round.

19. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

When did 2 receptions for 22 yards become a good game?

When did 4 receptions for 42 yards and a TD become a good game?

Those have to be the lowest standards for a "good" game that anyone has ever proposed.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Didn't realize that Joe was such a playa hata?

For me, Aaron Glenn '02 was the quintessential season for a Texan corner.

Season in review for Texan CBs? Well, I don't think they lost any games on their own. Don't remember them winning any games on their own, either. I would like to see an upgrade, via draft or free agency. If not, I think the Texans could win with this group. Provided they get an improved and more consistent pass rush. Really, who plays CB for the Colts and the Saints? It's nice to have a Darrelle Revis. But, not absolutely necessary.

I don't know if he would be available in the 2nd round, but OK State corner Perrish Cox fits the physical profile Smithiak looks for in a CB.