Scurfield: Cushing will thrive in the 3-4

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 5, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Cushing primed for playmaking role at inside linebacker
    By Nick Scurfield

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

I think Cushing is toast.

His rookie year was fueled by roids, IMO, and someone sue me for that allegation (I could give a rat's ass). In his second year, he didn't look nor play like the rookie year Brian Cushing played...and that, IMO, is because he had been fueled by roids.

He looks timid. He doesn't have the anger and rage and malice toward his opponent. He looks, well...he looks "pedestrian" to me.

I think Mario has a better chance in 2011 than Cushing. I worry that Cushing is going to get stonewalled in the middle and get nowhere; subjected to occupying blockers and never near the action.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just being a realist here.

3. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I think this article is largely based on the 2009 Cushing and not 2010 when he had a drop off in play but I am not down on him just yet. This year will be his to shine or not.

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agrred

After missing 4 games it took awhile for Cushing to get back in the swing of things. Then Ryans got hurt, that didn't help. Cushing did seem to be coming around at the end of the season. Tacks/Jags

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Plus he needs some help back there too.

6. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

You deduced all this from the partial year he played split between two different positions?

7. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I really think that we can not judge last year too much for Cushing. Everyone looks rusty when coming back after 4 games. Then as soon as he came back, they shifted him over to cover for Ryans, and then moved him back a few games later when he did not settle in as quick as they wanted.

On top of all of this, add in that the secondary stopped tackling people and he did not have Ryans beside him to cover him if he got over aggressive and missed, and to me that explains a lot of the timidness and hesitation to hit so hard.

It is also said that production dips the 2nd season in the league, and then should rise some again this season. I am not saying I believe he will be 100% of what he was his rookie year, but I do believe that with Wade's scheme (which is a bit simpler on him, allowing him to be aggressive) and help behind him, we will see Cushing closer to what we expect than what we saw last year.

RTP2110 likes this.
  8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

OK I'll buy that, but if Cushing has a second straight disappointing season you have to promise not to blame it on his conversion to the 3-4 ?

9. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I can agree to this as long as 2 stipulations are met:

1) the lockout does not destroy the majority of the season

2) We give him the full season and do not start judging him 3 games in - even if he starts slow, I am willing to look past that if by the back half the season we are seeing some improvement

10. False Start

False Start On # 69

This is the make or break year for him. If he returns to his rookie season form, then I'll believe hes the real deal. If he struggles, even with the new defense being installed, then I'll believe it was the roids. I'm not ready to give up on him yet though.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Is it football season yet?

12. GP

GP Go Texans!

In theory, he came back more rested than any of the other 32 teams' players who had been playing for four straight weeks while Cushing was NOT. He had been training very heavily all off-season AND the weeks leading up to his re-entry into the 2010 season at Week 5, so this idea of him not benefitting from a four-game absence is not valid to me.

Neither do I accept the theory that the injury to Ryans is a factor in Cushing's slump. Ryans is a guy whom I am on record here as saying that he (Ryans) has not been as big of a LB factor for us as he was in his rookie season, too.

The last factor mentioned is the switch of positions for Cushing. This, to me, is the only factor that I think is a possible reason for a slump.

Look, Brian Cushing played a 12-game season. And a guy on here was saying he looked better towards the END of Cushing's 12-game season? I don't buy it. He should have come out with guns blazing, IMO. Maybe it was the position change, maybe not.

I think Brian Cushing is mortal. I think there was a way he made himself think he wasn't mortal, but it was taken away. And I think roids can alter your psyche and transform more than just muscle/strength.

To me, he is night and day different than the rookie year. Maybe he just was down on himself those 12 games he played in 2010? I don't know. He didn't look the same. We all can admit to that.

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Cushing doesn't seem to play well when he has to think instead of read and react. Playing him at MLB last season proved that. I'm not counting on a big season from him this year due to changing schemes/position. 2012 should be a monster year for him once he has a full season and offseason at his new position.
    I wonder how many players got the playbook during the 10 hrs or so the lockout was lifted?

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I have to go with GP on this one.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, sometimes we have to be realistic instead of hopeful.

At some point, you know what you've got (by having watched plenty of games) and I didn't come away hopeful after watching a hesitant and often-times invisible Brian Cushing in 2010.

The attitude was gone. No fire in the belly. No flexing on his downed opponent after a big hit (because often times there WASN'T a big hit from Cushing), etc., etc. There was an easily noticed drop-off in the sophomore season.

16. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

All it takes is 1. They say that once the lockout was reinstated, the front office can't talk to the players, but nobody can stop the players from sharing the playbook among themselves.

17. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

Here's the thing though, Cushing has been a very productive player for more then half of his career. I don't really think its realistic to assume that smaller sample is the real Cushing. Obviously we can't assume he'll be back to as good as his rookie season either. So, for now, I'm basically just not going to assume anything. Hopefully the attitude returns under Wade Phillips and the new look D.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

A positive, lets entice season ticket holder PR move, to keep a skeptical fan base interested.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Not to mention, great way to speak to Cushing without speaking to him.

20. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Cushing did not have a fast start his rookie year either. His game didnt really start to crank up untill the halway point. Last year he missed the first 4 games, lost his wing man meco, and got bounced around to mike backer. He never had a chance to get in synch.

He plays his best when he dosent have to think. Let him play on instincts.

As far as him playing inside backer on the strong side in a 3-4...I think of that position as the defenses full back. He'll make the play or clear the way for Ryans.