Schaubs hourglass/future QB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Anthony713, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Anthony713

Anthony713 Rookie

I've had this topic brought up a few times in conversations with friends and wanted to see what y'all think. IMO ol' Schaubby boy is a good QB (even though he makes my blood boil sometimes with his bonehead decisions). I get goosebumps when you see that PA boot and Schaubs all alone winding up for the bomb. He's come through clutch for us quite a few times, led the league in passing, has a ridiculously high completion % for his career, and has been healthy. But heres the question, how long does Schaub have left, and when should we draft a QB to replace him? I feel like we shouldn't wait to long, sitting on the bench you do nothing but absorb things you see, hear, etc. So that when it's his time to start he's ready. I don't think T.J. is this guy, I haven't seen much of him so I might be wrong though. One thing I do know though, is that I'll enjoy another couple seasons of some Armed Schaubery.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

When one falls in your lap? Most people thought the Packers should have taken a lineman or another position player since Favre was still playing well. Turns out the Pack was just a fwd thinking franchise that saw too much talent to pass on. I think we have a few years of Schaub before it becomes an issue. I agree that TJ isn't the guy most likely.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Schaub's in his prime and has at least 5 good years left, maybe 10.

T.J. Yates could be the guy. He's a very talented QB that should be a great fit for this offense.

So, I'm not looking at drafting another QB for several years.

4. NYCTexan

NYCTexan Rookie

Interesting topic and one that has come up in the NYC area amongst the patrons.

I do not believe Schaub has 10 years left as the previous poster mentions. He is an accurate passer which leads me to believe he could play 5 years and play at a high level. Arm strength tends to lessen over the years but the feel, the touch, and the understanding of the offense will only gain in ability.

What I hope does improve for him is the feel of the pocket collapsing around him. He still doesn't have that internal clock to read and react and I feel that he doesn't make quick reads well. There are too many instances of him backing up and throwing off his back leg either to throw it away or to hit his check down. If he would stand in there and make an accurate through to a spot, his WR will either come up with or it will be incomplete.

But he is a top 5-8 QB in this league and will only gain from getting Andre Johnson back.

Speaking of which, where is the thread about adding a WR to be the apparent to Andre? He has been sidelined a bit too much in the last few years.

5. The Pencil Neck

I actually said 5, maybe 10. :fingergun:

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Schaub is good for another 3 to 5 years depending on...well....things we can't predict. So, it's always a good idea to have a good #2 on your bench.

With or without toilet paper.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think Gary's always looking for the next great Texans QB. He's a former QB and OC wearing a HC hat so he's constantly sifting through the available prospects looking for something that everyone else overlooked. 5 years is a long time in the NFL. Nobody can see 5 years into the future in this league. Schaub is already an 8 year veteran. He's more likely to be retired in 5 years than throwing passes to Andre Johnson.

Sooner or later he's going to find the guy to take over for Matt. Yates might be him but it's too soon to tell.

8. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I agree, but you should always have toilet paper.

I say 3 years. He turned 30 this year, 3 years puts him at 33. Father time cares not for who you are or what you do, he always gets his man. Manning only made it to 35.

I don't see us drafting one this year but we should take a hard look at drafting one in 2013.

9. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Derek Carr, rSo, Fresno St. :hides:

10. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

He hasn't been beat up as much as someone who has started for that long though. I say 5 years left at the least. I understand where you are coming from with the whole father time doesn't care thing, but professional athletes take care of their bodies.

11. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

12. Rey

Rey Guest

I wouldn't go QB hunting, but if one slipped in the draft and fell into our lap I'd take him.

At the very least we might be able to parlay that player into a nice draft pick.

13. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

The average NFL life is 3 years, which puts most players out of the league in their mid 20's.

Manning has one of the quickest releases in the game and doesnÂ’t get hit nearly as much as the rest of his counterparts.

And, true, athletes take care of themselves but all the exercise and weight lifting still wears down and wear out your joints. Your body just natuarly breaks down, you can't stop that. It's a fact.

14. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

:overreact:

15. Anthony713

Anthony713 Rookie

Oh man, I really can't handle that much heartbreak again. Just the name makes me cringe.

16. The Pencil Neck

Lots of QBs continue playing into their mid to late 30's and play at a high level. The QB position doesn't normally take the same amount of damage as most other positions and if you're a good QB, you can play a lot longer than a RB can.

Barring injury, Schaub could easily go into his late 30's/early 40's like a Moon or a Favre or an Elway (or a Tarkenton or a Montana or...) but I don't see how he doesn't get to the mid-30's. Like I said, though, barring injury.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The first 4 on that list will be drafted this next draft. Only Osweiler is interesting to me of the remainder.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

He does look good in a football uniform... :thinking: hehe

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The issue is he will be 32 going into a new contract wherever he signs. He will want a nice deal especially if he leads us deep into playoffs next two years. I predict he will get that deal from Houston and we will have Yates learning behind him. I would spend a 6th on Case Keenum.

20. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

I think we will ride schaub till the wheels fall off IMO thats what teams like 2 do IMO not have to worry about there QB and build around him