Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub willing to restructure

I know AJ just signed a new deal last year, but considering the Texans went out of their way to take care of him when they didn't have to do anything, maybe AJ will step up and agree to restructure his deal to allow some room under this year's cap.
I really don't know a thing about capology, so it might not even be possible, but AJ has been pushing for getting Aso in Houston. You never know, right?

I know AJ just signed a new deal last year, but considering the Texans went out of their way to take care of him when they didn't have to do anything, maybe AJ will step up and agree to restructure his deal to allow some room under this year's cap.
I really don't know a thing about capology, so it might not even be possible, but AJ has been pushing for getting Aso in Houston. You never know, right?

It isn't unthinkable for AJ to say, "Hey Aso, if you come here I will give you $_______ million out of my paycheck!"

Why the flying squirrel would AJ give up money to have Aso make more money than him?

So that his entire career is not wasted by the Texans....

I doubt he would do this and agree with you, but I'm just saying....not totally unreasonable as I bet he wants to win at this point more than make $$.

He knows he owns Houston and is going to the HOF. Now he needs wins.

So that his entire career is not wasted by the Texans....

I doubt he would do this and agree with you, but I'm just saying....not totally unreasonable as I bet he wants to win at this point more than make $$.

He knows he owns Houston and is going to the HOF. Now he needs wins.

Maybe. But there is a base instinct as well. He has been named best WR in the NFL for a couple years now. I just don't see him going from $9 mil to $8 mil so that Aso can go from $12 mil to $13 mil. Restructure sure. But not less actual money.

Maybe. But there is a base instinct as well. He has been named best WR in the NFL for a couple years now. I just don't see him going from $9 mil to $8 mil so that Aso can go from $12 mil to $13 mil. Restructure sure. But not less actual money.
Agreed. Besides, how many times can we rely on AJ's largess? That song and dance will get old. He's doing everything he can possibly do to help the Texans. Sooner or later, the Texans need to reply in kind.

First, when players restructure for salary cap benefit, they don't give up money - they defer it, and they make their contract more salary friendly (at least on a short-term basis), but they don't cost themselves any money in the long term. I'm not saying it's never happened, but if it has it's very, very rare.

Secondly, the contract that makes the most sense to restructure for salary cap purposes is Mario's. His base salary is almost $14 Million, and he's entering the final year of his contract. I don't know this for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Texans liked the idea of extending him anyway, it could free up money for 2011, and it would avoid the possibility of having to franchise him after the the upcoming season.

This obviously requires the willingness of both parties, but it's got the most potential to benefit the team's salary cap situation right away.

Agreed. Besides, how many times can we rely on AJ's largess? That song and dance will get old. He's doing everything he can possibly do to help the Texans. Sooner or later, the Texans need to reply in kind.

Are you serious? Just last year the Texans tore up AJ's contract with something like 5 years on it, and gave him more money, just to take care of a player who was being under paid. There was absolutely nothing forcing the team to do that other than wanting to take care of Andre Johnson.
That more than qualifies as "largess" by the Texans.

Why doesn't it help? What am I missing?

Because Aso is working a deal with New York. The boat appears to have sailed yesterday, when the Jets flooded the media about their interest in Aso. Now it seems that they are only a Sanchez restructured contract away from signing him.

Because Aso is working a deal with New York. The boat appears to have sailed yesterday, when the Jets flooded the media about their interest in Aso. Now it seems that they are only a Sanchez restructured contract away from signing him.

Oh, that's why Sanchez said that. I just don't see Aso landing there, with Revis and Cromartie already there and the big deal they just gave to Santonio Holmes, how and the world could they afford it.

Oh, that's why Sanchez said that. I just don't see Aso landing there, with Revis and Cromartie already there and the big deal they just gave to Santonio Holmes, how and the world could they afford it.

Cromartie's a free agent. Likely won't be back with the Jets unless they miss out on others.

But will Mario do the same ?

Anyone want to venture a guess?

I'll venture a guess about something else....

1. Mario either has his first distinctly, terrifyingly awesome, no-doubt-about-it kinda season........or tears up a knee and ends it early.

2. In either case, Mario asks for the sun, the moon and the stars on his next contract.

3. Texans franchise Mario.

4. Mario sucks next season.

5. Texans make him even richer.

6. Mario sucks next season.

7. People justify it.

8. The defense never gets better.

9. Kubiak never gets fired.

I am going to put a barrel in my mouth if the Jets sign Aso.

This. I almost (I said almost) would rather see Aso sign with the Jags than the Jets. I hate the damn Jets, and Coach Foot Joy. If we can't get him, then please, please someone in the NFC other than the Cowboys sign the guy would ya!!!!!!! Or maybe he can go in to the CFL.

Matt: I'll take a paycut so we can sign Aso and win!

Rick: What's winning? I don't remember that being on the agenda this offseason

Actually based on reports I'm willing to think that Matt held a gun up to their heads and said "Dude, take my money and get this team some ballers! NOW!"

Back