Schaub well prepared | chron.com

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, May 16, 2007.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4808193.html

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Nice article. :thumbup

Music to my ears. So many of the seeds planted in the off-season can grow into fruit bearing plants. I've got a feeling that Shaub's dedication to practice and the team in general will pay huge dividends down the road. This is what leaders do, and one of the reasons why people follow accordingly.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I'm giddy ready that. Is it football time yet?

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

in the 3 o'clock news blurb on 610am Schaub said his first practice went well and they also reported that Ahman Green looked 'extremely sharp'.

5. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

At the risk of coming across as a pessimist, we've heard this almost every year about Carr too. Carr looked excellent in camps last year. I can't wait for football to start myself, but I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach this time around.

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Not surprised at all to be honest. I will be laughing when all these "washed up" posters have to eat crow.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

So am I to understand that AJ doesn't have to stop and turn around when he gets to the spot where he's supposed to catch it?

8. Double Barrel

Why did Carr get your benefit of the doubt but Shaub doesn't now? You are holding the mediocrity of our previous QB against our new starter, and that's not really fair to Shaub.

The difference now is that Kubiak picked Shaub, while he was 'stuck' with Carr. Shaub knows this system, both in college and ATL, and has the skills to run the system. Carr could never be a successful WCO QB. The upgrades at QB are numerous, IMO.

I certainly understand your pessimism after five losing seasons, but I just don't share it at this point in time.

9. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I guess my point is that this is very little information to go on or be excited about right now. The intent was not to compare Schaub to Carr but to highlight how these early reports are mostly unsubstantial. I thought Carr looked great in camp last year myself and made unwarranted predictions based on that limited glimpse.

I guess I see this not as being a killjoy but encouraging patience and not getting our hopes up too soon. I like Kubiak and Smith and they're batting a high percentage right now, but they also picked up Eric Moulds last year. Their choices aren't infallible and while I remain cautiously optimistic, it is no secret that I am skeptical about Schaub. Perhaps I am overcompensating?

However rest assured that I too believe this franchise is heading strongly in the right direction. We're really looking at waaay too long before the season starts up.

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

These articles make me kinda giggle.

Off season is a time for puff, and appears that all off-season articles about Schaub are going to be about his leadership and work ethic.

But then there is the subtext that all Texans fans are reading into them is:

David Carr was sheltered and given special privileges, was a family man who didn't spend enough time at the facility, and hung out with his dad too much during work hours instead of hanging out with his teammates and being both a leader and a leader by example.

Whether or not that is true, false or somewhere in the middle, it's what most Texans fans really think when they see articles like this.

Please, I am not trying to turn this into a DC thread at all. I am just pointing out the obvious subtext.

I just hope that the work and the leadership and the blah blah blah, translates to what goes out on the field.

It does remind me of the talk I heard Sage Rosenfels give last year about what he learned early on in his career. That one of his coaches took him aside and told him that there are rules, and then there are the unwritten rules that QBs follow. One of those unwritten rules mean you have to come early and stay later than everyone else. Have to say that when I heard Rosenfels talking about that, it was hard not to think about DC's start with the team.

The Texans PR machine needs to be careful not to oversell this Schaub as hardworker/leader thing. At some point it gets a little goofy and redundant.

11. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I agree with the view of the article is a puff piece and we have all heard this before.

Even though, it's not directly said, I get the real impression Schuab will be imploying the "the buck stops here" when it comes to the success of the offense. Which means, the offensive line excuse will not be valid while he is the starting QB.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Hopefully he won't need no stinkin' excuses.

13. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I am thinking about things alot like you are. But I have always been the type to not really completely believe something until I see it.

14. Double Barrel

Just on a practical note concerning the fundamental X's & O's, the WCO is based upon timing patterns. And the more a QB and WR corps put into learning each other and working out together, the greater the chance that these timing patterns will be successful plays on the field.

And this is one of the keys to the 'leadership' angle: being prepared. If a team knows that the QB has put in his time on the practice field, weight room, and film study, then he has a higher chance of earning their respect. Respect = confidence, which leads to the cohesiveness of the team itself.

In crunch time, a receiver knowing where his QB is going to throw, and a QB knowing where his receiver is going to be, especially after audibles to take advantage of match-ups with the defense, can be the difference in winning a game or losing it.

The news from our off-season workouts and practice is what has me optimistic, because our QB is doing the things that the elite QBs do. I'm not putting him up there (yet), but the fact is that he is on the right track.

Porky likes this.
  15. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Yep.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I think you have a better chance succeeding or doing better than you can possbily imagine if you don't rely on built-in excuses and take more responsibility for your involvment in whatever you are doing.

It's kind of the attitude nothing will stop me, I don't care what's in front of me.

I sense that in his quotes, and that is what really makes me optimistic about Schuab. The mental aspect for an NFL QB is so critical, and it appears he has that!

16. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Puff piece or not, I have liked everything I have heard about Schaub off the field. He sounds like a great addition to the team culture.

Whether he can QB on the field is something we will see come regular season with the heat on.

Till then however I am basking in the subtle glow of leadership that Schaub is emanating.

17. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Well, I was over optimistic through the 2004 season, but that changed after watching the coaches totally kill the growth the team had made up to that year by changing the offense, shuffling personnel for no apparent reason, etc. and taning 2005. I'm now a seeing-is-believing-guy when I see puff pieces like this, even from good sources.

I'm trying to get better though.

18. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I wish those days are over :)

19. Double Barrel

Bump - old thread.

Leadership is overrated. :victory:

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

so is ability, dedication, intelligence, team comraderie, field vision, work ethic/commitment, and love for the game.