Schaub should not start Sunday

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by junior, Dec 3, 2008.

1. junior

junior Veteran

I know I crack on him a lot, but, I don't think for him it's a good idea to have his first start at Green Bay. I think the extreme cold could really hurt him because if the knee starts to swell or takes even a small bump, then the possibility of it stiffening up on him is too risky.

Wait another week, let him be at home where he plays way better than on the road, because if this is the guy they are banking the future on (which I wouldn't), then why put his knee at even more risk and losing him for the final three and maybe even another surgury.

I know you can't play or coach scared, but common sense should be a part in decision making. We are not going to the playoffs and even if Sage starts and loses we still have a shot at .500.

And remember I am not a fan of his but you still don't risk the long term health of your QB.

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Doesn't matter. He'll get hurt against Tennessee again.

3. TexansMVP

TexansMVP Probowler

Ouch...but it could be plausible.

4. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I know what you're saying, but at this point, I want him to play. Yes, he could get hurt, but that's the point. Let's find out now if we have our future QB or just an oft injured backup. I want to know now if we can rely on him as our QB or do we need to take one in the Draft/FA (probably will anyway) that is tough, reliable, and good.

I like Schaub and think he can be a very good QB in this league. But, if he is going to be out half the season with injuries every year, we aren't going to get very far as a team. JMHO!

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'm all for him showing how much of a warrior he is if he thinks he's ready to go. If I was sold as Schaub being our long-term answer, then I might not be so heady on the idea of him playing if he's not 100%. But since the jury is still out, and he wants to show that he can go, why not.

6. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

i agree has well if hes 100% a rdy to go and plays well in practice then sure see what he can do but if there is any doubt i say let sage start one more game

TBO this greenbay game in not important

i wanna win the Tenn home game thats more important IMO

7. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i'm curious... since sage has played very consistently this year, (consistently mediocre) he may not get much interest next year. we may not have to look for a backup qb.

a side note: Nall suited on Monday. When was the last time we suited 3 QB's?

8. headsplint

headsplint All Pro

Watching the video on the dot com about Schaub preparing for the Packers, Dre, K-Dub, and OD all seem like they are excited about Matt coming back. They threw in the we support whoever is out there but reading between the lines it seemed to me they really wanted him back out there. I know AJ does, they have a chemistry regardless of what's happened. When Matt is out there AJ gets more looks and when AJ plays better we play better.

I don't think the coaching staff would put him out there if they thought he wasn't ready. I'm sure they know the season is basically a wash, so why risk it. I'm sure he is ready, and if we end up in a shootout with the Pack, Matt is our best option.

9. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

This is football and people get hurt. I'm sure the coaches and doctors know a lot more about his physical condition than we do. PLAY THE MAN!

10. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

If Schaub is able, he needs to play. By "able", I mean that the knee is not affecting his throwing (as it clearly did on the pick he threw at Minnesota). I can live with some lost mobility.

He has not proven he can stay upright, so he needs to get in and stay in as many games as possible to show the team that he is reliable.

We're not going to the playoffs this year, so we're not risking any short-term gains by playing him again. Long term, even if limited mobility leads to him getting hurt at Lambeau, he has the whole offseason to recuperate to be ready for 2009.

11. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Signed,

Anybody BUT T-Mac.

12. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

I don't put Schaub and warrior in the same thought very often. Schaub to me is kind of like a fighter with a glass jaw.

We just need some way to protect his jaw.

Hopefully he will make a complete recovery and will never get injured again.

13. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Personally I am not buying into the whole 'injury-prone' thing, most players that get hurt are more than just bruised, they have forn ligaments, broken bones... there's nothing soft or prone about that, its just a lot of really bad luck.

My major problem with Schaub is how he reacts after getting hit/hurt, and as much as I want him to succeed, every time I see him take a hit I fear that I will see the shell-shocked deer-in-the-headlights face on him the next play.

The only way we'll know if he progressed from the shell-shock reaction is to see him calm and ready after getting hit, so... play him if he is ready physically.

14. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Isn't that an indication of being soft?

15. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

It would be IF he were making the deer in the headlights look. Thankfully he doesnt and he keeps going. I dont see any reason for Schaub not to play this game if he's ready to go and all indications are that he is.

Its not a good argument to say dont play him because its a road game. You have to be able to play well no matter the venue. You never know, with the big win on Monday this team may really be getting up for a game at Lambeau. Its exciting r most of these guys since they havent played there before.

I am far more concerned with the defense than I am with how the offense plays this game.

16. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

If Schaub is ready - he has to play. I also think that the team wants him behind center. Sage has become entirely too hesitant along with inconsistent. Sage may not have the deer in the headlights look - but he plays like he does. No confidence and he doesn't have that bond with Dre that Schaub does. When Dre gets the ball more, we win - it is almost that simple. Someone has to make up for our lack of defense.

Schaub also needs to prove to himself and the coaching staff(and me) that he isn't made of glass - he can take a hit and not be out for the next month. If he is going to be our starting QB - he has to stay healthy period. No time like the present, better now than next year.

disaacks3 likes this.
  17. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

4. Turk threw the best pass of the night.

18. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

Your right and we get to see a tough quarterback this weekend in Green Bay, Schaub should take a lesson from Rodgers in a few bumps and bruises can't let a good QB down. Is Schaub the NFL's McGrady?

19. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Torn muscles on different parts of the body don't make him injury prone. A line with inconsitent linemen make QBs injury prone.

Malloy likes this.
  20. GP

GP Go Texans!

This argument doesn't hunt.

How many times has Wonder Boy Sage been found laying on the ground, sitting on the bench, expecting to be able to return soon?

(Sigh)

Some guys find ways to stay upright. That's all there is to it.

It's not magic. There's not a perfect oline in the game, and never will be. And even the "good" olines can have a bad game every now and then out-of-the-blue.

I'm satisfied with the pass blocking thus far. It's not stellar, but it's adequate. The short-yardage run blocking is atrocious, though.