Schaub NFL network

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Honoring Earl 34, May 22, 2007.

1. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Their talking about Schaub .

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Post transcript as best as you can.

June 19th can't get here fast enough.

3. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

They showed this earlier in the evening too.

Basically the takeaways were 1) Carr can't run the bootleg out of the zone stretch, 2) Carr can't read defenses and here's an example (a direct quote of Baldinger as he shows film of Carr not able to see two guys open before going fetal), 3) Schaub can read defenses and 4) Schaub is able to make quick reads.

Some of the most brutal analysis I've seen of Carr yet. A must see for Texans o-line haters everywhere.

Note to Caddy and Hulk: This was all per Baldinger not me.

Kaiser Toro and Double Barrel like this.
  4. TEXANS84

I'm assuming this was from the Titans game?

LOL at the caddy/hulk reference.

5. Honoring Earl 34

They repeat their shows a lot so it would be well worth seeing it ... I think it was total NFL access .

Brian Baldinger said Schaub can read defenses ... they showed some footage . He sees the middle of the field completes a pass between defenders . They had a play where BB said ... watch Schaub he waits until the defenders turn their heads and takes off running ... he's not a stiff like some had said . They showed a play where Schaub threw deep but I was typing . BB said the Falcons did not change their gameplan for Schaub .

He then said Carr struggled reading defenses . They showed Carr with two guys open in the middle of the field and did'nt see them . He said you have to throw to get the lead and run to keep it and that the Texans need to do better at going deep ... duh .

Rod Woodson and Lombardi ex Raider guy ... said Carr needs time to regroup and get his eye level up ... stop looking for the rush . They said he got in the bad habit of just looking for AJ .

They also said Carr was a turnover waiting to happen .

6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Raiders

7. TEXANS84

Even worse.

Who was running the middle routes? I'm assuming Moulds and Walters? Daniels?

8. Honoring Earl 34

I'll tell you I don't know who it was but they were open and he did'nt throw it .

9. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

this was one of the few analysis of the Texans and Carr that did not just blindly go the OL sucks and Carr is the innocent victim. Lombardi also addressed the high completion percentage. he stated carr stared down his target and did not make plays down the field. Basically, this segment highlighted what many "Carr-haters" have pointed out in some cases for 3 or more years.

I am not sold the Schaub is the "answer" but I am convinced that the Texans may will be more capable of running an offense that at least looks like the rest of the NFL. I am certain that many fans don't realize how much the Texans dumbed everything down over the last several years. In other words, three steps and throw was not solely because of the OL blocking.

10. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Interesting. Following through, had the Texans had a better QB:

The Texans were set with Wand - Pitts - McKinney - Weigert - Wade and we (coaches and fans) didn't know it.

------They wouldn't have taken Wade's cap hit.

------No Victor Riley!

The offense should have been better at that point and the line could have played 2-3 seasons together and rocked.

Gaffney should have had a lot more catches and been a keeper.

The Texans actually had a good offense, less one player, so Casserly was doing better than he was given credit for.

==========================

If as much was on Carr as is thought now, the Carr experiment certainly damaged a lot of careers and reputations.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

:heart: hmm, sounds familiar...I wish I thought of this

12. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Definitely NOT a "good" example of DC scrambling, that's for sure. I'm not sure I'd point to it as any kind of "glowing example" of a GOOD O-Line either...at least from a Pass-Protection standpoint.

I really hope they're right. I hope Schaub IS the answer, or at least a noticeable improvement.

13. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Lets not go too far the other way, our O-Line wasn't good.

Of that line group I think only Pitts has above average skills, Wade wouldn't fit in a ZBS scheme and McKinney is fading fast.

I think the group we have now, especially with a fit Spencer is a far better group to grow and develop.

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

That was Baldinger's point. In the highlighted play, the QB didn't have to pull it down and scramble. There were two receivers open in his field of view and Baldinger was highlighting how the QB should have pulled the trigger on either, but didn't, because he obviously didn't anticipate or see either opportunity before giving up on the play even though he had a time window, albeit brief, to get rid of it.

A few of the comparative Schaub highlights showed him recognizing opportunities downfield - also while under heavy pressure - and delivering the ball to the target. Again, the ability and inability to quickly read and recognize was the point - or at least I thought it was...

I could easily construct a few highlights to argue how much the o-line sucks too. But in this case, for whatever reason, NFL-N chose to analyze QB decision making instead of just piling on the o-line like sheep as usual.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You could construct a "Highlight reel" of every O-line in the league looking poor . The difference between a succuessful play and a failed one in this league is minute .

Im not sold on the fact Shaub is the answer to the Texans QB issues but he cant be any worse than Carr was .

16. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I know, I just wanted to fit the "it was all Carr" euphoria into the bigger picture.

In my posts in 2004, I pointed out Carr ran into sacks and the o-line had scheme problems to go along with the o-line personnel issues. I'm certainly not an "it was all the o-line" guy. Back then I would have rated the sack problem causes as:

1) Coaching/schemes - by far the biggest problem
    2) O-line personnel
    3) Carr
    4) RBs and TEs

In hindsight I would put Carr ahead of the o-line, but I still wouldn't absolve them of all responsibility.

==============================

With today's team:

I think the coaching has improved, but they still need to get the schemes to match the personnel. I'm confident this will happen.

Carr is gone, and Schaub needs to prove he is a big part of the answer.

The o-line personnel looks deeper, but they lack a couple of quality starters at center and left tackle.

We shold have better blocking from our backs and more complete tight ends.

======================

All in all, the passing game should improve but there are still people (players and coaches) who need to live up to expectations and holes to fill. I don't expect a top 10 pasing game, not even a top 15.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Good to see that media outlets are actually starting to watch/review our games rather than just regurgitate the assumption that Carr walked on water.

I will miss the finesse of the Fresno Fall on Sundays. :rolleyes:

18. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Get me drunk enough and I'll re-enact it for you every saturday evening :)

White bear down!

19. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Who said it was all Carr?

This piece highlighted Carr's troubles reading defenses and especially making quick reads. It was surprising in that it was one of the first I've seen to focus on the aspect of his game that many on the various mb's had been criticizing for years. It was presented in the context that it wasn't all the o-lines fault (for a change).

Personally, I think our o-line improved the minute Ocho Viejo walked out the door.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Where does that come from?--particularly when the guy in front of him is the one who is fading if anyone is. McKinney was an upgrade when he came in last year. Interesting camp battle.