Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub Listed As Top Breakout Star for 2007

You blowing smoke, if you think we have a chance at 9wins this year. Just put your money where you mouth is... I'll cover your bet and be happy about it.

Caddy, I'll make a wager with you... If the Texans win 9 or more games you go away and never come back. If they win 8 or less I will do the same. Put your money where your mouth is.

The question is... why hasn't that idea occurred to YOU?

We finished 6-10. I can think of 4 games that we lost that we could easily have won. Our QB play was really bad and we could have won all of those games, and possibly others, with better QB play. That's 10-6 right there. So, yes, I think it's fairly obvious that with a different QB we could have gone 9-7.

Do you deny that we went 6-10?
Do you deny that we lost a game in overtime?
Do you deny that we lost a game in the last 30 seconds?
Do you deny that we lost a game by 4 points where our QB threw for 176 yards (which is over his average)?
Do you deny that we lost a game by 6 points where our QB gave the other team a TD when he fumbled and it was returned for a TD?

Why do you think that 9-7 was out of our grasp last year? Do you think we weren't one or two plays away in those other games?

You can't pick it apart like that. This is a game of inches. Half of our wins were by 3 points or less... those could have easily been losses. You can easily blame the loss to the titans on the return team as well. There was too much wrong with this team to think that replacing one part would have fixed it. The kicking game was laughable all year. Field position didn't help matters. The running game was a joke until week 12 or 13. Can't put this at one man's feet.

You can't pick it apart like that. This is a game of inches. Half of our wins were by 3 points or less... those could have easily been losses. You can easily blame the loss to the titans on the return team as well. There was too much wrong with this team to think that replacing one part would have fixed it. The kicking game was laughable all year. Field position didn't help matters. The running game was a joke until week 12 or 13. Can't put this at one man's feet.

Agreed......... DC had his probs but, so did the oline, rb's, wr's, special teams, coaching, dline, olb, and secondary. I think that about covers it.......:cowboy1:

Of course you can pick it apart like that. Sure, ultimately we did not make the plays to be a winning team. However, the point is, that we weren't that far. People are making it sound like we had absolutely no shot of even reaching 8-8 and the fact is, we were not that far away. There is a razor's edge difference from being a winning team and being a losing team.

With several of these games, if someone else had stepped up then we could have won. The defense could have stopped the Bills on that last drive OR DC could have made that last 3 yard completion for the first down to keep the ball away from the Bills offense.

But that's not the point. One person had a chance to make a few plays and we would have been a winning team. DC did not perform at an acceptable level. That's why he's gone.

Did we have a lot of problems? Yes. But are you saying that a team has to be perfect and without weakness to be a winning team? That's silly. Every team has weaknesses. People around here have been making excuses for our poor QB play by blaming every other aspect of the team for so long that we're starting to have the misconception that a team has to be a powerhouse to be a contender. One player can make that much of a difference.

Did we have a lot of problems? Yes. But are you saying that a team has to be perfect and without weakness to be a winning team? That's silly. Every team has weaknesses. People around here have been making excuses for our poor QB play by blaming every other aspect of the team for so long that we're starting to have the misconception that a team has to be a powerhouse to be a contender. One player can make that much of a difference.

I'm not saying a team has to be perfect. The problem is we don't have strengths to balance out our weaknesses.. We don't do anything great... and we do alot of things HORRIBLY... The truth of the matter is... until we find a nucleus on the lines and in the different position groups in general... as well as in the locker room... we're going to be a young team with potential who looks like world beaters one week... and div2 dog's the next. For ever game you point to saying we could have won.. I can point to a game we were fortunate at the very least, to win. I suppose you're right... we might be able... if we have EVERYTHING develop the way we want it to... to limp into the playoffs as a 9-7 wild card.. I just don't see that happening. I wouldn't say its unlikely.. I would say it is improbable... I think we're going to have to disagree on this one... but hey.. its just fun to argue with someone who can eloquently express themselves without getting personal.

Mike

I'm not saying a team has to be perfect. The problem is we don't have strengths to balance out our weaknesses.. We don't do anything great... and we do alot of things HORRIBLY... The truth of the matter is... until we find a nucleus on the lines and in the different position groups in general... as well as in the locker room... we're going to be a young team with potential who looks like world beaters one week... and div2 dog's the next. For ever game you point to saying we could have won.. I can point to a game we were fortunate at the very least, to win. I suppose you're right... we might be able... if we have EVERYTHING develop the way we want it to... to limp into the playoffs as a 9-7 wild card.. I just don't see that happening. I wouldn't say its unlikely.. I would say it is improbable... I think we're going to have to disagree on this one... but hey.. its just fun to argue with someone who can eloquently express themselves without getting personal.

Mike

YOU SUXXOR... or something like that. :)

The first 3 games of the year last season, our defense really stunk up the joint. And if you look at our defense, you can definitely pick it apart. We didn't get pressure from our line. We weren't that good at blitzing. We didn't cause turnovers. We've basically got two strong safeties who seem to bite on every fake. DRob is playing more like a 2 and Faggins should be a nickel. Our outside linebackers didn't perform. BUT... as terrible as we are, over the last 13 games of the season we only gave up 290 yards per game. That's actually pretty strong. If we could have averaged that for the first 3 games, our defense would have been ranked like 8th in yardage allowed.

And that's something I think we can hang our hats on and use to build for the future. Our coaching staff and our team found ways to win last year when they could have found ways to lose. We overcame some pretty abysmal offensive performances. We went 4-4 over the last 8 games of the season. I think there's a lot more positive there than you do.

And, of course, last year I started the season as a Carr supporter and I ended the season on the Anybody But Carr bandwagon. I think that just changing the QB is going to make things a lot easier. I expect at least average QB play from Schaub and if we get that, it's going to be much better than what we got last year and that's going to make things a lot better. I understand if someone finished the season still supporting Carr that they're not going to expect much from Schaub because they think the same problems still exist that caused Carr so many problems. I just don't agree. :)

And, of course, last year I started the season as a Carr supporter and I ended the season on the Anybody But Carr bandwagon. I think that just changing the QB is going to make things a lot easier. I expect at least average QB play from Schaub and if we get that, it's going to be much better than what we got last year and that's going to make things a lot better. I understand if someone finished the season still supporting Carr that they're not going to expect much from Schaub because they think the same problems still exist that caused Carr so many problems. I just don't agree. :)

I started last year as a Carr supporter also. Carr played awful.

I agree with you, Schaub should eliminate some of the problems Carr created for our offense.

YOU SUXXOR... or something like that. :)

The first 3 games of the year last season, our defense really stunk up the joint. And if you look at our defense, you can definitely pick it apart. We didn't get pressure from our line. We weren't that good at blitzing. We didn't cause turnovers. We've basically got two strong safeties who seem to bite on every fake. DRob is playing more like a 2 and Faggins should be a nickel. Our outside linebackers didn't perform. BUT... as terrible as we are, over the last 13 games of the season we only gave up 290 yards per game. That's actually pretty strong. If we could have averaged that for the first 3 games, our defense would have been ranked like 8th in yardage allowed.

And that's something I think we can hang our hats on and use to build for the future. Our coaching staff and our team found ways to win last year when they could have found ways to lose. We overcame some pretty abysmal offensive performances. We went 4-4 over the last 8 games of the season. I think there's a lot more positive there than you do.

I started last year as a Carr supporter as well... and I certainly jumped off his bandwagon.. and like I said.. I think that the marriage was a bad one with very little planning... I place blame at everyone's feet... and figure there's more than enough to go around. I agree with you on the defense as well... but it seemed to me that like so many bad teams.. we gave up big plays when it mattered. I also think we have at least put band aids on the problems Carr did face. Namely Black... while I'm not wild about him as a T... I think he does give us somebody with some experience and someone who will be out there day in and day out. I think that Green is an upgrade... I just don't think that we have done enough to get over the hump. I think this year's team is better than last years team... and I think it IS and 8-8 team... I just don't think we'll reach that potential this year.

Mike

Of course you can pick it apart like that. Sure, ultimately we did not make the plays to be a winning team. However, the point is, that we weren't that far. People are making it sound like we had absolutely no shot of even reaching 8-8 and the fact is, we were not that far away. There is a razor's edge difference from being a winning team and being a losing team.

With several of these games, if someone else had stepped up then we could have won. The defense could have stopped the Bills on that last drive OR DC could have made that last 3 yard completion for the first down to keep the ball away from the Bills offense.

But that's not the point. One person had a chance to make a few plays and we would have been a winning team. DC did not perform at an acceptable level. That's why he's gone.

Amen Brother.
:whip:

I started last year as a Carr supporter as well... and I certainly jumped off his bandwagon.. and like I said.. I think that the marriage was a bad one with very little planning... I place blame at everyone's feet... and figure there's more than enough to go around. I agree with you on the defense as well... but it seemed to me that like so many bad teams.. we gave up big plays when it mattered. I also think we have at least put band aids on the problems Carr did face. Namely Black... while I'm not wild about him as a T... I think he does give us somebody with some experience and someone who will be out there day in and day out. I think that Green is an upgrade... I just don't think that we have done enough to get over the hump. I think this year's team is better than last years team... and I think it IS and 8-8 team... I just don't think we'll reach that potential this year.

Mike

I think that we have already put band aids on the problems that Carr faced and that Carr was so emotionally broken that he couldn't take advantage of them. (And, like you, I blame Carr's problems on the previous regime for mishandling him and not bringing him along correctly.) I think that's why we didn't make any big offensive line moves this offseason. I don't think Black was brought in to do anything other than improve our depth and provide some competition to make more people step up. I don't think that Schaub is going to face the intense 70 sack pressure that some doubters think he's going to face.

And IF Schaub is as good at reading defenses as people have said he is, our line is not going to be facing the same sorts of blitzes and amount of pressure that they did when Carr was in there because he's going to make them pay. Carr very rarely made anyone pay for blitzing him. If Schaub can make that hot read and get the ball out quick to the right guy in stride, teams are going to have to be more careful with when and how they bring pressure.

I think we've got a good shot at hitting 8-8. I think we're going to make that. Of course, if we have some bad luck then we could be worse. And if we have some good luck, then we could be better.

I think that we have already put band aids on the problems that Carr faced and that Carr was so emotionally broken that he couldn't take advantage of them. (And, like you, I blame Carr's problems on the previous regime for mishandling him and not bringing him along correctly.)

{cut}

I think we've got a good shot at hitting 8-8. I think we're going to make that. Of course, if we have some bad luck then we could be worse. And if we have some good luck, then we could be better.

o I am glad Carr is gone. Good for the Texans, and good for Carr.
o I wish Carr success elsewhere, if for no other reason than it gives eSPiN fodder to continue to badmouth the Texans -- it makes for good locker room motivation. But seriously, I wish Carr well. Seems a good guy, just a tough start.
o I genuinely believe that 8 or 9 wins is in the cards this year. Were I an odds maker in Vegas, the over/under would be 8.5, no doubt.
o Not to be a :homer, but I am so geeked for this season. :fans:

I think that we have already put band aids on the problems that Carr faced and that Carr was so emotionally broken that he couldn't take advantage of them. (And, like you, I blame Carr's problems on the previous regime for mishandling him and not bringing him along correctly.)

{cut}

o I am glad Carr is gone. Good for the Texans, and good for Carr.
o I wish Carr success elsewhere, if for no other reason than it gives eSPiN fodder to continue to badmouth the Texans -- it makes for good locker room motivation. But seriously, I wish Carr well. Seems a good guy, just a tough start.
o I genuinely believe that 8 or 9 wins is in the cards this year. Were I an odds maker in Vegas, the over/under would be 8.5, no doubt.
o Not to be a :homer:, but I am so geeked for this season. :fans:

I think that we have already put band aids on the problems that Carr faced and that Carr was so emotionally broken that he couldn't take advantage of them. (And, like you, I blame Carr's problems on the previous regime for mishandling him and not bringing him along correctly.) I think that's why we didn't make any big offensive line moves this offseason. I don't think Black was brought in to do anything other than improve our depth and provide some competition to make more people step up. I don't think that Schaub is going to face the intense 70 sack pressure that some doubters think he's going to face.

And IF Schaub is as good at reading defenses as people have said he is, our line is not going to be facing the same sorts of blitzes and amount of pressure that they did when Carr was in there because he's going to make them pay. Carr very rarely made anyone pay for blitzing him. If Schaub can make that hot read and get the ball out quick to the right guy in stride, teams are going to have to be more careful with when and how they bring pressure.

I started to joke that he made them pay with a 2 yd. pass, but IIRC he made the two yard passes when they didn't blitz, and just danced around waiting to get sacked when they did.

I still think Carr can be a good starter, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon and I don't think it will actually happen in Carolina. Carr may be the next Schaub trade in a few years. In other words, at some point he might be the best available, experienced, back-up QB. First, he's got a lot of learning to do, and bad habits to break. I think Carr and the Texans both failed each other.

Back on Schaub, I don't see how we can't win a couple more games with him replacing Carr. We probably could've done that just by replacing Carr with Rosenfels, if he'd been healthy. I can't wait to see our offense with a QB who isn't constantly digressing, waiting for the O-line to become All Pro while stairing down AJ.

Back