Schaub leading players-only throwing sessions

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rockville, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Rockville

Rockville Load Up

Some news from: http://www.houstontexans.com

Posted 57 minutes ago
    By Nick Scurfield

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub has organized throwing sessions with several of his teammates this week at the University of Houston, about a 15-minute drive from Reliant Stadium.

Schaub, who missed organized team activities (OTAs) and mini-camp because he was still recovering from a 2011 season-ending Lisfranc injury, said Thursday that his surgically-repaired right foot is “100 percent.” He plans to continue the throwing sessions over the next several weeks leading up to the start of training camp on July 27.

“We found a field to go use to be able to throw and keep up with things, especially with the young guys, with all the young receivers and tight ends and guys that we have,” Schaub said. “I wanted to just get with them because missing OTAs, I missed those reps that I was getting with those guys and am just trying to bring them up to speed, get ready for training camp and throwing with Andre (Johnson) and some of the other guys. Just stuff that we can do to continue to stay sharp ‘til camp.”

Johnson, who is recovering from offseason arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, has been at every throwing session this week. Schaub said between 6-12 players have attended each one. The session take place around 9:30 every morning on U of H’s grass practice fields.

“We’ve had a handful of guys,” Schaub said. “Right now, the rookies are at the symposium, the drafted guys. Come next week, I expect all them to be out there. Andre’s been out there and a few other veterans. Right now, some of them have taken a little break, but we’ll come back here next week or just after the Fourth so we’ll have three good weeks after that to really get after it.”

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez organizes an annual “Jets West” mini-camp of sorts in Southern California. Call this Texans East – that is, six miles to the east of Reliant Stadium?

“Yeah, I guess you could say that,” Schaub said, laughing. “Or just Humid and Hot Texans. The weather’s spiked up on us. But it’s just good to keep up with the guys and keep that rapport and camaraderie and just working on our own and getting ready to go.”

Schaub, who fully expects to be full-go for the start of training camp, said he has felt “great” physically on the practice field this week.

“Everything feels real good,” he said. “Doing all my movement and play fakes and dropping back, all the different things within the pocket that I need to be able to do come camp when the bullets are flying and everything. But I know what it takes to be ready for camp, and so we’re right there ready to go.”

Most of the Texans’ players got six weeks of vacation between the end of mini-camp on June 14 and the start of training camp. After not being able to participate in OTAs, Schaub was intent on making the most of his down time to get to work with his teammates for the first time this offseason.

“It’s huge. Especially not going through OTAs. You know, I was doing stuff on the other side of the field with the trainers, with Roland (Ramirez) and Geoff (Kaplan) and those guys, but to actually be doing it with my teammates, throwing to them and everything, that’s just huge. It’s simulating game reps and stuff that we’ll do in practice. So, anything I can do to continue to progress and do what I have to do physically throughout the course of a training camp practice and such to be ready to go is what I want to do right now. There’s no vacation time for me."

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yeah, the guy is no leader.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Kinda related, I guess, but do they make a brace or some sort of support for his type of injury? Something that might help to prevent re-injury?

4. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Looks to be a great leader ... on a field at U of H.

Lets see what happens in-game this year.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Swoosh! Right over the head

Go team TJ!!!!

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I think Schaub is a good leader based simply on things I have seen. I really don't know though because I'm not in that locker room...

That out of the way....

Sanchez has been doing this for a few years now...I don't know that many would consider Sanchez a great leader because of that...

And this is just as much for him to get back into the groove of things as anyone else...

Again...JMO, I think Matt is a good leader. But I don't know that this is evidence of him being a good leader. Doesn't hurt, but I don't see this as an aha! moment...

7. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Niiiice.

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

At least he's not playing golf and trying to make the PGA tour instead...

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Hwhoa!

Give me a low one!

[​IMG]

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I hope they are being careful. Both Schaub and AJ are recovering from injury plagued years and we need both of them at 100%.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It might not be leadership but it shows great motivation and desire.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Stuff like this doesn't impress me as leadership.

Him throwing that ball away too early... giving up on plays too early. That's what stops me from thinking of Schaub as a leader.

I don't have a problem with a QB throwing the ball away or giving up on plays. And I'm not saying he hasn't taken a few hits from standing & delivering in the face of danger.

I'm just saying it's been to far & between and I think he gives up too early more often than not.

He can lead a thousand tupper-ware parties for all I care & I won't be convinced that he is the leader we need him to be.

Good QB. Second tier QB... yup.

Super Bowl caliber.... eh...

13. False Start

False Start On # 69

Pretty much what I was going to say.

14. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Funny Matt might have throw a ball away too early but TJ held on too long. I think holding on is worse. Super Bowl caliber is missused imo when speaking of a single position

15. Premier

Premier All Pro

good for schaub taking initiative, but leaders are born on the field. organizing team workouts makes him a team manager, not a leader..

ckhouston and thunderkyss like this.
  16. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Exactly.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

All his coaches and teamates consider, and have called him a leader for quite some time now. I don't really consider myself a Schaub "hater" or "bandwagoner", but I'd really like to know what it would take you "Schaub's not a leader" people to see what his team sees?

Maybe an audio clip from a game of him ripping someone's ass?

"Whoa! Did you hear that, Cliff? Schaub just yelled at AJ cuz he dropped the ball. Now that's what I call a leader"

:spit:

18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Man, I just don't get stuff like this. If he's not Brady, Manning or the love child of Montana/Elway, then to hell with him.

19. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

I've never understood the superbowl caliber QB thing - I mean, Trent Dilfer won a superbowl. I think Shaub can get the job done, just needs enough support.

QB is a very important position, but at the same time, its still one position, and like all the others, you can make up for a less than perfect player by having good players around them. I am not saying that you can make up for ANY qb, but one of Schaubs caliber will be fine. Last year he did a very good job of not turning the ball over, which with our D is the most important part. Arian opens up enough room for Schaub to have an easier time throwing, and AJ is always there to help him out in tough situations.

Sure, hes not Montana or Young, but I still think he could be the QB of a superbowl team.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

You can't go by their words. It's their actions, what they do & how they do it. From the Grid Iron, it's obvious they understand he is the QB of the team & they know the pecking order.
    Nah...... yelling at people is a quality of poor leadership. If I showed up at work tomorrow & started yelling at everyone, I doubt they'd be thinking what a great leader I am. If I were promoted & started yelling, they might do what I'd say, recognize the pecking order, but they won't consider me their leader. Boss.... yes. Leader, not so much.

Who said anything about Brady, Manning, etc......

I've given Matt his due. 2009, I thought he should have been in the conversation of best QB in the league. But he hasn't played that way since. Regardless what the stats say, it's not about stats. It's about making things happen, and giving your team a chance to win.

I think he gives up too early on plays. Third down & 5, third and 15..... doesn't matter. If the play doesn't unfold as designed, the smart money is on him throwing it in the stands, or on a knee.....