Schaub hasn't been roughed up that much--

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently. I mean, that was a good whack he got yesterday, but it wasn't near as bad as many hits NFL QBs routinely get. Everybody was sort of standing still and the guy launches at Schaub from a dead stop. A big hit, but not a monster. On top of which Schaub has about four other injuries I've heard about--leg, hip, back. And we've got like a dozen sacks total?

Isn't anyone beginning to wonder about the guy's durability?

And did anyone notice that his play Sunday BEFORE the hit was, to be kind, erratic? He looked shell-shocked, nervous, scared, like he couldn't wait to get that damn ball out of his hands so he wouldn't get hit.

Like everybody else I was a big fan at the beginning of the season, but I gotta say I'm beginning to have serious doubts now. Of course, as a career backup, no one ever had any idea about Schaub's durability because he'd never been tested under fire. But we're only 8 weeks in and he looks down for the count.

2. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

I think you are way off the mark on this one. The hit he took on Sunday was absolutely brutal and would have taken out most NFL quarterbacks sans Favre. Furthermore, the hit(s) he took against the Titans were also pretty physical and it was not surprising to see him leave the game.

Two weeks in a row our team has let the opposition "cheap shot" our starting quarterback without any on-the-field "support." That is what troubles me the most at this point...

3. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

I agree 100%.

Next time some BS like that cheap-shot happens to our field marshall, I want to see some defensive players spitting chicklets.
    :bat: :bat: :bat:

4. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

Ah, I think your wrong, too.

ANY QB who has been hit hard that many times would have sat out yesterday.

I remember one hit he took the Titans game (I believe it's the one where he was knocked out of the game for good), the guy put his entire body weight on Schaub plus the helmet to hemet.

Pretty much every snap he's taken in the past 3 weeks he's had the snot knocked out of him.

5. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Honestly, I thought he looked like David Carr on Sunday. Throwing short on 3rd down, 2 picks, and just looked scared. I know he's better than that and it pissed me off.

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'm beginning to question his durability as well. He's no David Carr in that regard. As bad a QB Carr was, he is one tough dude.

7. Rex King

Rex King Veteran

I don't think you can compare the hits Schaub has taken with say, YKW, for most of the latter's sacks. Oh, there were a few early in his career where he was smacked around, and what happened - he got injured.

8. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

I don't think anyone will dissagree with that.

9. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

If yall knuckleheads have watched the season you will notice that Schaub has a bad habbit of throwing the ball high or behind. I am just wondering how long it will take Kubes, (who says he saw a lot of positives on the team against the Chargers) to notice any thing wrong with Schaub. He might be our QB for now but Sage is starting Sunday so we will see who is coming to play.

10. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Panther fans might. It didn't take him long to get his back hurt and have a 99 year old retired qb take over the starting role.

Mr. White likes this.
  11. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Well let's see--he avoids tons of sacks which wouldn't have been avoided before as you have so non-subtlety pointed out in past seasons. He has been injured not on sacks but on flagged penalties, but sure, why not--he's a pansy.

Well it's a shame some of the knuckleheads around here haven't noticed he is still connecting at a top 10 percentage rate, top ten yards per attempt and lots of strikes down field--better to mis-throw a 40 yd pass than not attempt one for a season.

GlassHalfFull likes this.
  12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I swear to everloving God, I cannot believe some of the nonsense I read on this board sometimes. Schaub has been probably the only bright spot on the team so far this season, and yet some of you have the audacity to question his 'durability' from the dirty hits he's been taking.

I think I'm just going to hang out at the No Spin Zone from now on. If I stay here at Texans Talk, I'm going get banned sooner rather than later. I just can't handle this stupidity.

13. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

So questioning his durability is out. What about his accuracy. Surely you're not going to lambaste me for questioning that?

Mike

14. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Yeah I will since he is connecting on 67.9. It was even better until the last two games, which were horrible. He had no time to throw and he is working with receivers you do not even like in the first place and he is still producing without a top flight WR.

His QB rating until the last two games was Top 10. The line has regressed and has been horrid, not to mention he has done all this without a running game and mostly with fall forward for two yards Dayne as the running back.

Oh by the way the 67.9 is 3rd in the league, wow he sucks why the heck is he not #1.

15. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

My only problem with Schaub right now is that he showed up hurt on sunday. He's beat up, and his lack of mobility due to the bruising made him panic a few times. It's kinda like with Jacoby Jones, don't say you're ready when you're not.

Force Schaub to sit the Oakland game out, not as a punishment because no punishment is needed really, but to let him heal up so that next time we put him on the field he'll be ready to go 100%.

On a note, I guess he WILL be sitting the next one out if the signing of Nall has any meaning.

16. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Ever had a concussion? It's not dramatic head holding. That's just a ludicrous statement.

17. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Exactly, and how many passes were flat out dropped last week?

I would also like to see the mb people who are complaining about Schaub being a wuss, take the hits he took in the last two games and see if they are still able to complain afterwards.:wild:

18. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Can't argue here.

You could bounce a ball-peen hammer off of David Carr's head and it wouldn't faze him. You'd still get the same results, though.

I'll take Schaub's fundamental skills over Carr's durability any day.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Point 1) Schaub has been sacked 12 times Rosenfels once .... thats a total of 13 sacks . The sacks arent the only time QB takes a hit . In general they can protect themselves and the ball on the majority of plays tha result in a sack . Its those plays where they stand in the pocket and take a big hit after the ball is released that tends to result in injuries Or in the case of Sunday being blindsided after an INT ......

2) Schaub benig shellshocked ? I dont think thats the case , ever played football and had your bell rung .... The avg person would probably be in Ben Taub after some of the hits Schaub has taken . What bothers me is that no one on his team got pissed off when he's taken a big hit some of which have been un-necessary . If I'm an O-lineman and someone hits my QB I want retrebution ..... That guy is going to pay next time he's with-in striking distance .

3) You are correct , no one had any idea if Schaub could withstand a full seasons worth of snaps . But in todays NFL having one guy take all your snaps at QB is pretty much a pipe dream ..... Yes its week 8 and Schaub has missed a few series but take a look at how many other teams have had multiple players at the QB position thus far and you'll see its not an isolated problem . I'll save ya the trouble of looking and list the teams that have had significant playing time my more than one person at QB .

Arizona 3 Kurt Warner , Tim Rattay , Matt Leinart
    Atlanta 2 Joey Harrington , Byron Leftwich
    Baltimore 2 Steve McNair , Kyle Boller
    Buffalo 2 Trent Edwards , J.P. Losman
    Carolina 4 Jake Delhome , David Carr , Vinny Testaverde , Matt Moore
    Chiago 2 Brian Griese , Rex Grossman
    Cleveland 2 Derek Anderson , Charlie Frye
    Detriot 2 Jon Kitna , J.T. O'Sullivan
    Jacksonville 2 David Garrard , Quinn Gray
    Kansas City 2 Brodie Croyle , Damon Huard
    Miami 2 Trent Green , Cleo Lemon
    Minnisota 3 Brooks Bollinger , Kelly Holcomb , Tarvaris Jackson
    New York Giants 3 Eli Manning , Jared Lorenzen , Anthony Wright
    New Yourk Jets 2 Chad Pennington , Kellen Clemens
    Oakland 2 Daunte Culpepper , Josh McCown
    San Francisco 2 Trent Dilfer , Alex Smith
    Seattle 2 Matt Hasselbeck , Seneca Wallace
    St.Louis 2 Marc Bulger , Gus Frerotte
    Tampa Bay 3 Jeff Garcia , Bruce Gradkowski , Luke McCown
    Tennesse 2 Vince Young , Kerry Collins

Thats a pretty long list and it will only get longer as the season wears on ....

Schaub hasnt played perfect football by any stretch of the imiganation but considering how poor the running game has been and the loss AJ and JJ as well as Ahman Green , I cant put a lot of the blame on Schaub for the offense's inability to be consistant .... In the NFL if you cant run the ball you wont win many games . Before we can really evaluate Schaub this team needs to fix the O-line and runing game ..... Give me 5 guy's who take it personal when their QB gets hit and dont get shoved backwards in every short yardage situation ..... what this team has aint gettin it done . :gun:

disaacks3 likes this.
  20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Well said.

The Good News About David Carr:

He's a tough dude who doesn't miss games.

The Bad News About David Carr:

He's a tough dude who doesn't miss games.

I hope Florence gets a fine that is worse than a uniform violation fine.