Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub Didn't Play Well

Not to mention that he only attempted 17 passes. To put that into perspective, he attempted 43 passes and 42 passes respectively v. the Colts last season. When was the last time we have seen so few attempts.

Hell, I ain't worried about Schaub. He'll be fine!

Me neither. Hell, when the big nasties are that hungry.....LET'EM EAT!

im not worried about schaub either- aj shouldve caught the underthrow & the int was just a forced ball looking for a big play.

this may be hypercritical but the play i was most disappointed about actually was on the first drive 3rd down pass to jacoby that shouldve been caught but on that play aj crosses right in front & is practically wide open (has about two steps on the cb). wouldve been a pitch & catch td. i realise JJ is probably option 1 on that play and aj is supposed to be a clearer but on that play he was wide open and jj had alot of bodies around him (but still shouldve caught it)

I don't think he at all had a bad game, maybe if he missed more passes or had more interceptions. It was basically the fact that our running game was working really well, so we called that more than passing.

First Post by the way :D

Most of these comments are the result of pretty accurate observations.

But truthfully, after the last few seasons, do we really need to worry about Matt Scaub?

I have to chuckle. But I guess it is to be expected as fans need to find something to worry about.

This is going to be a fun season. Lets enjoy it!!

But truthfully, after the last few seasons, do we really need to worry about Matt Scaub?

I have to chuckle. But I guess it is to be expected as fans need to find something to worry about.

No, just stay healthy!
:fans:

I was actually impressed with Schaub's arm strength on the 53 yard PI call.
Matt was late on what should have been a TD pass.

I'm not quite sure that this verifies Orlovsky.
I'm quite sure that this game does nothing to verify Orlovsky.

Like last year's opener, Matt had a poor game. Unlike last year, it did not matter. While I went into this season feeling that Schaub needed to cut down on his mistakes, I think this game is the exception to what should be a very good season for Matt.

I don't think it's "worry about Schaub" so much as worried that he's not ready to start the season. Matt's a slow starter, by proxy that makes this offense a slow starter.

If you're playing the Rams, that may not be a big deal. But when you play the Jags, Arizona, Jets it could be the difference between a win and a loss. Coming out of the half, it would be nice to know that he's ready to go, and doesn't need to warm up again.

It is a little nit picky, but truly, that's where this team needs to be.

He was definitely off, glad it didn't hurt us, and it shows we can win with Orlovsky.

I'm not quite sure that this verifies Orlovsky.

I'm quite sure that this game does nothing to verify Orlovsky.

Has nothing to do with Orlovsky, just saying, if we can run the ball like that, we may get by with missing Schaub a game or two.

Not that I want that to happen...
if we can win with a bad Schaub, we can win with a good DanO.

I remember making a post like this last season after game 1; and maybe the year before. But, at the risk of repetition, here's the deal with Schaub, based on the nine years I've observed him play QB for my two favorite teams:

He always plays poorly in opening games. The next good first game of the season he has will be his first. Well, maybe he did in high school, but it hasn't worked out that way since. Here's the rundown.

2010 (Indy): Definitely one of his lesser performances.
2009 (NYJ): Total clunker as we were woefully unprepared for Rex Ryan's blitz packages.
2008 (at Pitt): Abominable game all around
2007 (KC): Yeah, we won and were all quite excited. But we managed to put up only 13 offensive points against a 4-12 team that was playing without Jared Allen (suspended for multiple DUIs). It only seemed like a good game compared to the five years of David Carr that preceded it.

2003 (Duke): Injured on first series and missed the next two games. Cost him his status as a fringe Heisman candidate.
2002 (Colorado St; this was his breakout season): Played poorly to start the game and then rotated with a true freshman who quickly won over the crowd. When Schaub came back into the game in the second half, he was soundly booed. He then threw a key pick that allowed the Rams to ice the game.
2001 (at Wisconsin): Played terribly in first half, drilling multiple Badgers between the numbers. Yanked. UVA coaches, to this day, use the game as a way to settle down errant young QBs ("Don't hang your head. You should have seen how badly Schaub played at first.").

I was quite worried when the schedule came out--better to start the season in Indy so he could get his bad opener out of the way without hurting our chances to win at home. But, for one of the few times ever in his career (his defense and running game at UVA were pretty miserable), he won despite playing poorly. That's an awesome sign.

He'll get in a groove pretty soon. He always has.

Reactions: JB
I didn't know that. Thanks for posting the info. Certainly bodes well if Schaub rebounds and we keep running the ball.

what does that say about our team if schaub can not play to his expected level and we still win?

Exactly!! If a team game plans us to take away a team that can run the ball, how the hell will they stop last years top passing team? If some teams say Schaub / AJ aren't gonna beat us, at least now they have to be concerned with a rushing game..... This is a good thing IMO!

We have all seen Matt Schaub have a lousy first half and then come back and put it together in the second half. We've seen him start out hot and cool off too but that's happened less and less as the years go by. Maturity is wonderful thing in a QB isn't it?

The thing is, he didn't need to do much in the second half so we'll never know if he would have come back out and busted out his Superman cape or not. Arian Foster got the call and frankly against the Colts and with results like we saw yesterday I prefer that. I prefer it to getting into a TD contest with Peyton Manning at this point in time. Right now we beat the Colts by running at them until their defense is a small pile of rubble. Maybe of they spend a ton of time and draft picks on stopping the run then we'll start to see some opportunities in the passing game against them as well. After all, we make a big deal out of playing in the same division with Peyton Manning but they play in the same division with Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson, and now Arian Foster. It looks to me like they are going to have re-think their defensive philosophy if things keep going this way.

Here's something that I thought about that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Do you think that some of Schaub's misreads and hesitations are a product of learning a new system? I know it's not a major overhaul, but we do have a new OC and I'm sure there have been some changes compared to what Kyle was drawing up.

Yesterday on the radio Kubiak said that the interception was just a miscommunication between the Schaub and Dre...

He said Schaub thought dre was going to come in front of the safety, and he said that Dre actually thought he was in front of the safety...

I wanted to add this about his INT. I thought this is what I saw at the game, but I had to watch the DVR to confirm it. Did anyone notice that on the INT play Andre Johnson was the only player who ran a receiving route on the play? Schaub dropped back to pass, AJ went deep, and the other 9 guys were all blocking. I think that made it really easy for the safety to focus only on AJ and go for the pick.

I wanted to add this about his INT. I thought this is what I saw at the game, but I had to watch the DVR to confirm it. Did anyone notice that on the INT play Andre Johnson was the only player who ran a receiving route on the play? Schaub dropped back to pass, AJ went deep, and the other 9 guys were all blocking. I think that made it really easy for the safety to focus only on AJ and go for the pick.

Yes. This isn't that unusual, though. I thought the idea was that we were running pretty well (although not as well as we were GOING to run) and they expected the safety to bite on the run fake and run up in run support. He didn't. Then we just kept running waiting for them to bring 8-9 into the box to stop it but the Colts kept back to keep AJ from beating them. That was what I thought was going from a strategical standpoint.

But, from what I've heard later, AJ was supposed to break in front of the safety and AJ thought he had but the safety surprised him and got in front of him. (Although I still think the Colts secondary was staying back in fear of AJ and Schaub and not adjusting to Foster.)

Things are only going to be even better when Schaub plays like normal. This is the way I look at it. Scary is the word. GO TEXANS

The thing is, he didn't need to do much in the second half so we'll never know if he would have come back out and busted out his Superman cape or not. Arian Foster got the call and frankly against the Colts and with results like we saw yesterday I prefer that.

I do agree with this, 100%

However I still believe it is an issue, that he wasn't "ready to play." As hyped as this game was, he should have been ready.

The history for Shaub is like this though and then he finds his groove. I am not worried at all but I will be if he does not look any better this Sunday.

The history for Shaub is like this though and then he finds his groove. I am not worried at all but I will be if he does not look any better this Sunday.

Occasionally, Matt just has a game where things aren't in synch. That's really the problem with most passing oriented teams.

If we really have a decent running game and an offensive coordinator who's not afraid to lean on it, it can really stabilize the team and on days when the passing game isn't clicking, it can keep the whole team from tanking.

Occasionally, Matt just has a game where things aren't in synch. That's really the problem with most passing oriented teams.

If we really have a decent running game and an offensive coordinator who's not afraid to lean on it, it can really stabilize the team and on days when the passing game isn't clicking, it can keep the whole team from tanking.
I just think everything will work out in the long run for us.

Just remember, Schaub would have looked a lot less bad if Jacoby hadn't let that perfect TD ball go through his hands. And if the O-line had protected better, that ball to AJ wouldn't have been short and that would have been another TD.

Matt Schaub won a game against the Colts, Go ahead couch coaches and tear this one up as you always do, I am so glad to see yall do it here, on your couches where you belong. Now lets get behind the Texans and go up and beat the Redskins.

Reactions: JB
Just remember, Schaub would have looked a lot less bad if Jacoby hadn't let that perfect TD ball go through his hands. And if the O-line had protected better, that ball to AJ wouldn't have been short and that would have been another TD.

Shshshshshshshshsh. :strangle:

No bashing the O-line this week. :foottap:

Matt Schaub won a game against the Colts, Go ahead couch coaches and tear this one up as you always do, I am so glad to see yall do it here, on your couches where you belong. Now lets get behind the Texans and go up and beat the Redskins.

^^^^^^ This!

Nice post Joe!

Good point. I agree.

Some fans remind me of my ex. She could always find something to ***** about.

The positive thing here is that we had a running game (finally) that could pick our offense up. It's about time that Schaub didn't have to go off for 300 yards and AJ come up with 10 receptions for 140 yards... This is a good thing.

It's football. It's the NFL... Stranger things have happened. As Herv pointed out and reminded us the other day: The Texans once won a game with 47 total yards of offense against Pittsburgh - at Pittsburgh!!

That was a great win, but now it's time to focus in on Washington. I suspect that the offense will be much more balanced and to tell you the truth, I'm not all that worried about their offense. They'll get "theirs" but I think the defense comes up with enough stops for a win...

If we can keep Hainsworth from stepping on Matts face and keep Arackbo from busting through I believe he will have an exceptional day.

If we can keep Hainsworth from stepping on Matts face and keep Arackbo from busting through I believe he will have an exceptional day.

we don't need to worry about Haynesworth, I doubt he gets more than 6 snaps.

we don't need to worry about Haynesworth, I doubt he gets more than 6 snaps.

He may get more than that against us. They were putting him in on nickel situations but it really seems like they're just treating him as a situational player at this point.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded like I was disagreeing with you and I really wasn't. He may get more than 6 snaps but he may not get a LOT more than that and he's not going to be the starter or even their main guy.

He may get more than that against us. They were putting him in on nickel situations but it really seems like they're just treating him as a situational player at this point.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded like I was disagreeing with you and I really wasn't. He may get more than 6 snaps but he may not get a LOT more than that and he's not going to be the starter or even their main guy.

I think Shanahan is getting tired of him. Regardless how much they are paying him, if he can't put more effort into his play when he's on the field, he'll be on the bench. Shanahan is giving him plenty of opportunity to prove that he needs to be out there, and Haynesworth is showing that he doesn't.

I think 6 is awful low myself, but if I were Shanahan, after all the pouting and moping Haynesworth did last week, Haynesworth is already starting off on my bad side.

I think Shanahan is getting tired of him. Regardless how much they are paying him, if he can't put more effort into his play when he's on the field, he'll be on the bench. Shanahan is giving him plenty of opportunity to prove that he needs to be out there, and Haynesworth is showing that he doesn't.

I think 6 is awful low myself, but if I were Shanahan, after all the pouting and moping Haynesworth did last week, Haynesworth is already starting off on my bad side.

Fat Albert does not belong on a 3-4 team. He excells in penetrating and disrupting, and that is not what they want in Washington. They wat him to hold his ground and tie up 2 gaps. He wants to explode thru the line. I didn't really see a lack of effort from him, just a lack of execution of what they want him to do.

Before you bring up the gorgeous look-off on the Walter TD, hear my point. Did he have some good plays? Yes. Did Jacoby Jones blow it on multiple occasions? Yes. Despite that, this dude can play way better. We could have killed these guys even worse. Kubiak agrees with me. Watch him after the Walter TD. He's immediately in his ear about something. They expect this guy to play at an elite level. He can. We've seen it. He didn't today. He missed two TD's. One to AJ early and the bootleg to Walter as well. I'm not being a negative nancy. I'm just saying think how much better we'll be when he plays the way we all know he can.

497 yards and three td's...but that int put us in the hole bench the guy..... just kidding...I think it was a great performance by Schaub and he showed us alot this week.

Last edited:
Matt SAchaub Played as well as any QB could play in a hostel enviroment in overtime while bringing us a win. If you can get up off the couch long enough to do 1/3 of what he accomplished today then you can talk but for now SHUT your PIE HOLE

Before you bring up the gorgeous look-off on the Walter TD, hear my point. Did he have some good plays? Yes. Did Jacoby Jones blow it on multiple occasions? Yes. Despite that, this dude can play way better. We could have killed these guys even worse. Kubiak agrees with me. Watch him after the Walter TD. He's immediately in his ear about something. They expect this guy to play at an elite level. He can. We've seen it. He didn't today. He missed two TD's. One to AJ early and the bootleg to Walter as well. I'm not being a negative nancy. I'm just saying think how much better we'll be when he plays the way we all know he can.

jt barrett said that last week...I was pointing out that schaub bounce back and had an even better game. one week we are right and the next we are wrong..it happens to all of us. me alot or so my wife says

This thread kinda makes me giggle, I was driving to the gas station before and I was listening to ESPN Radio and one of the dudes mentioned that the last time two QB's passed for over 400 yards in a game was in 1994 when Drew Bledsoe and Dan Marino did. I don't know, if you ask me those are two pretty amazing QB's to be compared to. Schaub and McNabb (not gonna lie) did very well today.

This thread kinda makes me giggle, I was driving to the gas station before and I was listening to ESPN Radio and one of the dudes mentioned that the last time two QB's passed for over 400 yards in a game was in 1994 when Drew Bledsoe and Dan Marino did. I don't know, if you ask me those are two pretty amazing QB's to be compared to. Schaub and McNabb (not gonna lie) did very well today.

Schaub and McNabb are now 2nd in NFL history for combined passing yards in a game. They missed #1 by 4 yards.

Matt SAchaub Played as well as any QB could play in a hostel enviroment in overtime while bringing us a win. If you can get up off the couch long enough to do 1/3 of what he accomplished today then you can talk but for now SHUT your PIE HOLE

I think this would have been a totally different ball game, had Matt not thrown that INT on our opening drive. If he could get started early... We may have gone up on them at their place. Our defense gave up 6 points on their opening drive, & the short field gifted to them. We took the lead on our second possession.

I think this would have been a totally different ball game, had Matt not thrown that INT on our opening drive. If he could get started early... We may have gone up on them at their place. Our defense gave up 6 points on their opening drive, & the short field gifted to them. We took the lead on our second possession.

Didn't they give up 3 points...

And then another 3 after the pick??

Shaub suffered a beating in D.C. and even though he threw for almost 500 yards he still is not in sink yet. Just kidding.

Back