Schaub and the Passing game thru week 15

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Passing yards
    1. Peyton
    2. Schaub

Completion Percentage
    1. Brees
    3. Manning
    3. Schaub

Yards Per attempt
    1. Rivers
    2. Brees
    3. Roethlisburger
    4. Schaub
    5. Manning

QB Rating
    1. Brees
    2. Rivers
    3. Favre
    4. Rodgers
    5. Roethlisburger
    6. Manning
    7. Schaub

1st Down %
    1. Rivers
    2. Brees
    3. Manning
    4. Roethlisburger
    5. Favre
    6. Schaub

So, I simply chose relevant statistics. I didn't cherry-pick for Schaub's strengths. Interesting to note that not only is Schaub in the top 7 of every one of these categories but also notice the company around him. Based on empirical evidence, I think it's pretty clear that we now have a near elite level QB. Two other points I'd like to make:

1. Of the QBs that have played almost every game this year, Schaub has been sacked about the 8th less.

2. Other than A.Rodgers, every QB that appears on those rankings above have significantly more career starts. I'd say that he has developed rapidly and we should be absolutely thrilled with our QB situation heading into next season and those that follow!

2. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

He's the real deal. I don't understand why there's so many Hou fans that don't see it.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Schaub's passing stats little reason for celebration

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well that is cute by AJ and all fixating on passing attempts and certainly there is something to teams generally having to pass because they get behind, but the breadth of stats indicate otherwise in this case. It isn't just attempts. As dale put up it is ypa, 1st down % and one he left out completions over 20 yards where Schaub is tied for 3rd in the league. Another inconvenient truth for AJ's article is that of the top 10 QB's in passing attempts this season only Schaub comes from a team without a winning record. Of that top 10 at least 6 are already in the playoffs and none have been eliminated yet.

dc_txtech likes this.
  5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Vinny, I'm not sure your point. Of course things like total passing yards aren't the best statistics. That's why stats like YPA have merit. Most of the statistical categories I listed have very little to do with the volume of passes: YPA, QB rating, 1st down %, Completion %... all of those measure effectiveness and not simply piling on stats.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Lol. I have a feeling if Schaub won a Super Bowl and took the MVP of the game there'd still be fans claiming we still don't have a quarterback.

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Brees had a phenomenal 2008 statistical season for an 8-8 team. I don't think the stats were misleading. The team grew and played better this season and they are 14-1. I'm not sure anyone can make a rational argument that Schaub hasn't been one of the 5-7 best QBs in the league this season. He's been excellent. And, the areas of concern I had for him going into the season: health, pocket presence... have both been improved upon. If we get the run game fixed this off-season, I don't think anything other than injury problems can deter this team from a serious playoff run.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Excellent might be strong, but Schaub has been very good. Good enough to win with. And that's what has been so frustrating.

If the Texans only had a _____, is a recurring theme. One year it's health, the next a defense, the next a rushing game. Winning teams accentuate their positives and minimize their negatives. When the Texans can do that, then they will have a serious layoff run.

9. infantrycak

I don't know where the divide is between really damn good and excellent is but "if the Texans only had a QB" shouldn't be on anyone's lips or fingers right now.

Appears to me even .500 teams accentuate their positives and they have been Schaub and AJ (and formerly OD) and the LBs. Even the hint of a running game this year and two thirds of the threads in this forum wouldn't exist since they would be sitting in a wild card spot.

Thorn and mariowillshine15 like this.
  10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Exactly. 110% correct.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Those who think that article was somehow a knock on Schaub need to go back and read it again and this time try to get past the headline. If you don't care to read the article, the main point is that the imbalance between two phases of the offense being cause for alarm more than cause for celebration. Like I said in the article, without Schaub and AJ performing at a Pro Bowl level this year, the Texans wouldn't have sniffed 8-8.

Dan B. likes this.
  12. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

so yeah after looking at this list why do Us and pittsburg have problem winning games this year ?????

how does the colts and saints get by without a amazing running game ????

but we cant ???

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

just sharing a recent article that relates to Shaub, the passing game and how it may or may not correlate to winning since its being talked about here. I'm always dropping stuff like this in threads instead of starting new ones. I'm not a big stat guy when it comes to football, so I really didn't have much to say about it either way hence no commentary by moi....just sharing stuff I run across.

14. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

i guess what iam trying to say if u compare Pittsburg and Texans this year do we have similar problems ?????

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Maybe even 120%. The running game being complete crap has really turned this season upside down. The defense stinking out of the gate was bad but it would have translated into a slightly slow start to this season if we'd been able to run the ball. As flat as we came out in week 1 I don't know if a running game would have changed much but following that game I think it's fair to hypothesize that the first Jacksonville game might have had a different outcome if we'd been able to reliably run the ball. The Arizona game might also have gone differently with a functioning ground attack.

Those two infinitely winnable games going in the other direction take us to Indianapolis in week 9 with a 7-1 record.

I don't think there's been a game on our schedule that we couldn't have won if we'd just been able to run the ball. Once the defense came on this season should have been damn near one win after another.

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Schaub and AJ are good, but they ain't Peyton Manning. And the Saints are not as good as their record.

17. infantrycak

You're right aj, I just skimmed what was quoted which made it look like a predictor. Sorry.

18. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

Probably since they don't come out flat to start a game / half

19. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That is as true as "we aren't as bad as ours"

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The Saints had a very good rushing attack until the past 5 or 6 games. Not surprisingly, that's when they began struggling to win.