Schaub #10, NFL starting QB rankings 1-10

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by PapaL, Sep 5, 2013.

1. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

At least one person, John Clayton, thinks Schaub isn't that bad; ESPN LINK

2. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

That's about right. Only disagreement IMHO Elite QBs are making $20 million, so $15 million for #10 is where it should be. Also Schaub has shown in the past that he doesn't fare all that well against the $20 million a year QBs.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If Schaub belongs in the group, we got a great deal. All them guys just got paid in the last two years.... well, maybe not Ben & Eli, but they're still making more than Matt.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

5. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Schaub will have a Flacco like chip on his shoulder this season and win the MVP!

:cow::texflag::koolaid::splits::trophy::texan:

6. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

#10 is about right. He's good, but not a game changer..
    (won't be until he elevates the team with wins over
    brady, brees, and rogers at least 50% of the time)

TJ

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I most certainly have a problem with Romo being rated above Schaub, and perhaps Flacco, but at least Flacco proved his worth when he needed to. Other than that, I can't quibble a lot with that list.

8. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Ron Jaworski also rated Schaub #9 about a month ago. Most of my non-Texans-fan friends like Schaub. I seriously think it's mostly Texans fans that thinks he's overrated.

buddyboy likes this.

9. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I don't really care for Flacco as a QB, but he did what Schaub has never done. He played big when all the chips were in the middle of the table. That alone puts him above Schaub in my mind. Other than that, though, aren't they statistical twins?

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I've never been a fan of Flacco. Up until last year's playoff run, he always folded under pressure. And that's how we beat them last year, we hit him a couple of times and he played scared from that point on.

But he didn't do that in the post-season. So maybe he's turned a corner.

But from a statistical standpoint, Schaub is a step up from Flacco.

Flacco has never thrown for over 3900 yards in a season. Schaub? 3 out of the last 4 seasons, he's thrown for over 4000 yards and every season Schaub has played a whole season for the Texans, he's thrown over 4000 yards.

In 5 years, Flacco has broken a 90 QB rating 1 time and that was a 93.6 back in 2010. Last year, he had an 87.7. Schaub? With the Texans, he's been below 90 1 time (an 87.2 in 2007). His best was a 98.6 back in 2009 and last year he had a 90.7... one of his worst QB rating years with the Texans. Over his career, Flacco gets about 7.1 yards per attempt and Schaub over his career with the Texans gets about 7.8 yards per attempt.

11. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

The reason non-Texans fans love Schaub is because they don't watch the team on a regular basis. It's easy to swoop in, look at raw statistics, and say, "Wow, this guy is good!" Or to see a legendary Schaub-to-Andre pass highlight on ESPN and be impressed.

My non-Texans fan friends feel the same way yours do. They think we have a great qb. They don't see the nitty gritty, play-by-play things we pay attention to. All they see are high numbers and statistics.

Schaub has the stats, but not the performance. It's that simple.

eriadoc likes this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I just think it's funny seeing Flacco, Romo, & Ryan getting paid like Rodgers.

We got a steal on Schaub (in comparison) & our fans are still upset. smh.

buddyboy likes this.
  13. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

This is my official stance as well. We don't have an elite QB, he's not going to single handedly win us games, but we do have great value at that position!!!

14. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

The flip-side to that is possibly Texans fans' standards are way too high. If we don't win a SB, we need a scapegoat, and for some reason mostly everyone has picked Schaub.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think that's part of it. A big part of it. Right now, we look back & we say how poor the talent was on the pre-Kubiak team. But in 2005 we thought we had a play-off team.

Another reason is that we have a great many people who seems to focus only on the negative.

16. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Schaub's only been in the playoffs once.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't know too many Texans fans that think he's overrated, but I know many who bristle at the harping that used to go on about Schaub being underrated, particularly after his 4700 yard season.

Flacco has one stat over Schaub that we all want Schaub to have, and that's playoff wins. He has a bunch. I'm not a Flacco fan, and I actually hate when people ascribe wins and losses to the QB, but you have to admit that Flacco steps it up in the playoffs. If we can't have a team with an elite QB, then I want a complete team that at least has a QB that steps it up when it really counts. How many chances did the Texans have to win home field advantage last season? Three? More? They controlled their destiny throughout the last half of the season, and Schaub buckled under the pressure. Much of the rest of the team did as well, but we're talking QB here.

Winner! Move the ball between the 20s and settle for FGs way too often, especially against good teams. The stats don't impress me any longer. I honestly believe Kubiak could take several of the QBs rated below Schaub in this list and have them putting up similar stats in a year or two.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

People forget that Flacco has had four previous years of playoff experience. AND was surrounded by pretty good talent - especially at RB - and backed up by a pretty good defense.

Let's look at Flacco's playoff history....
    2008/09 - 2-1
    @ Miami (W, 27-9) - 9-23 for 135 yds, 0 TDs, 0 Ints
    @ Titans (W, 13-10) - 11-22 for 161 yds, 1 TD, 0 Ints
    @ Steelers (L, 14-23) - 13-30 for 141, 0 TDs, 3 Ints
    2009/10 - 1-1
    @ Pats (W 33-14) - 4-10 for 34 yds, 0 TDs, 1 Int (they ran over the Pats for 220+ yds and 3 TDs)
    @ Colts (L 3-20) - 20-35 for 189 yds, 0 TDs, 2 Ints
    2010/11 - 1-1
    @ Chiefs (W 30-7) - 25-34 for 265 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints (Flacco finally carries his weight)
    @ Steelers (L 24-31) - 16-30 for 125 yds, 1 TD, 1 Int
    2011/12 - 1-1
    Vs Texans (W 20-17) - 14-27 for 176 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints (Yates throws 3 Ints and wastes a 150+ game from Foster and a 100 rcvg game from A.J.)
    @ Pats (L 20-23) - 20-36 for 306 yds, 2 TDs, 1 Int (Finally has a decent playoff game and loses to Belichick)
    2012/13 - 4-0
    this is the only year I would say Flacco actually carried his team thru the playoffs - his fifth shot for a SB ring.
    vs. Colts (W 24-9) - 12-23 for 282 yds, 2 TDs, 0 Ints
    @ Broncos (W 38-35) - 18-34 for 334 yds, 3 TDs, 0 Ints
    @ Pats (W 28-13) - 29-54 for 320 yds, 1 TD, 2 Ints
    @ SF (W 34-31) - 22-33 for 287 yds, 3 TDs, 0 Ints

Let's see how he does this year with the heart and brains of that defense gone.

thunderkyss and DocBar like this.
  19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I completely agree with this statement. However, he did see enough in Matt to burn two 2nd round picks on him. So yes, a lot of Schaub's success is because of Gary Kubiak... but Matt's not chopped liver.

We're running out of time Chavez!!

I think it should be clear to anyone who watched that game last night, the Flacco is no better than Matt Schaub, but the fact remains we need to see Matt nutt up in the play-offs & play as well as Flacco did. Great defense, great running game, but that QB has to step up.... your stats show us that much.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm not going to say it's the sole reason for redzone mediocrity, but we hardly ever throw the corner fade. Teams run it multiple times and one game. We run it a couple few times a year.

The play is almost unstoppable if thrown correctly.