Schaub #1 Paid QB for 2009

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Yankee_In_TX, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Yikes, I didn't realize the contract structure worked out that way. I really hope he's out there for all 15 games!

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I know, I noticed that last night on NFLTA. He's due 17 million this season. 15 games? For that kind of jack he needs to be on the field the 16 regular season games plus 3 post season games.

3. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Adds a little pressure, doesn't it?

4. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Thanks for correcting me, all 18 games (15+3).

Why are we playing him after we've clinched?

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Geez reporting on this is bad. 1st off, Sanchez and most likely Stafford will receive more as rookies this year. Cassell is going to receive as much in the next three years almost as Schaub's whole 6 year contract. 2nd - THE OPTION BONUS IS NOT DUE THIS LEAGUE YEAR. These commentators that keep trying to stick it on this year are morons. It is due in March of 2010 which is the 2010 league year. It also isn't a one year thing, it is the option to buy three more years so acting like that is his pay, akin to the $25 mil McNair was scheduled to make as a salary in TN when he got cut is silly.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    ChampionTexan likes this.
  6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Point taken, touche

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Yep - if you're using this convoluted (at best)/ignorant (at worst) logic, then that also means he'll be one of the biggest bargains going for the three years following the exercise of the option (recognizing that it's called an option for a reason).

8. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

A former back up that that hasn't even played a full season in the last two seasons is getting paid that much? Wow!

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Cak beat me to the punch on contract terms.

Big question is going to be is he going to stay healthy enough this year to warrant the option after this year?

Regardless of situation IMO he needs to play at at least 12-13 and look good while doing so. If not, much as it sucks for what we gave up, I think it's time to move forward at the QB position.

10. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

No. I'm of firm belief that he needs to play all 16 games barring games intended to 'save' players. I also am of firm belief he needs to play the entire game despite a silly blowout score. That's my starting quarterback. He's who I came out here to see. Not our backups. The best need to be on the field at all times.

I got slammed on DGDB&D once for the Allen hit on Schaub. I felt that Schaub should have gotten up. Injuries suck. Especially ones as a result of a cheap shot or a result of a bad line. It's just the bad luck of the draw when one gets injured from but we pay them to play ball. If Schaub gets injured this year, I'm going to be calling for the Texans to begin a serious search for another starting QB. Bear in mind... I'm a huge Matt Schaub fan. I love the man! He has the tools to be an elite QB but having the tools doesn't do much if they're constantly in a sling.

This is also a coaching issue. The pieces are in place for Kubiak now with the exception of a few pieces such as questions surrounding our complimentary back to Slaton and defensive backfield but we mostly have the pieces in place to be a force and play some errorless games. Maybe we won't win 'em all but I'm ready to see the best play the best. I expect them to be upright. If they go down, I'm going to hope they're ok but not keep holding on to hope because he has the tools.

Play some football, Schaub. O-line, protect your QB better. Let's see some better coaching. Yaddayadda. Just get me my money's worth by giving me 16 games in a season once in a while instead of 16 games over 3 years.

brakos82 likes this.
  11. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Excellent post. For an example of a QB that does not show pain, look at Drew Brees.

12. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

so many other qb's missed games the last two seasons. that argument is getting so tired and worn. I previously posted the names of starting qb's who missed time last season, and it was over 2/3 of the teams.

not saying he needs to stay on the field, but the inference that he is injury prone is just bullshit.

:deadhorse

13. Texecutioner

Any guy that gets hurt two straight seasons where he misses several games is injury prone if you ask me and I'm sure most unbiased people would agree. Before that, he was a back up behind Mike Vick. There has never been any season where he was a starter where he has proven that he could stay healthy. He has only had two seasons to start and got hurt both seasons, so right now he does have to PROVE that he can be healthy for a full season. Until he does that he'll have the injury prone label on him with most people.

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Right..in this day and age, alot of QBs go down. Also, look at past QBs who were successful later and now...I doubt people would call them bad because of the games missed. I almost expect a guy to miss 2-3 games a year with the way it is played now.

Aikman (89-00.Total games started and played in regular season)--11, 15, 12, 16, 14, 14, 16, 15, 16, 11, 14, 11

Roethlisberger (04-08-Total Games started)--13, 12, 15, 15, 16

15. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

You've watched how he falls like a sack of potatoes, right?

16. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I caught it on the first go round, LOL!
    I knew you meant to have Schaub sit out the last game, or maybe the game before last, like the Buccs had Garcia sit against us the year before last.

17. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Hey great post and I agree. I would LOVE to see Schaub go the distance this year, I only gave the 12-13 as a minimum that he needs to play in to stay at the helm for the next three as per the contract option. If he doesn't make it then I think we have to think about moving on at our QB position.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

For perspective, Manning is getting $14 mil as a base salary this year with a cap hit of $21.2 mil.

19. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Well at least its better than what Tennesee is paying for a back up who doesnt play.(and looks like Radio)

20. Texecutioner

That is fine and dandy, but Tennessee doing that doesn't change anything.

Hey, if Schaub stays healthy this season and has a really good season, than none of what I'm saying matters. I was just pointing out a current fact.