Scat back for 2008?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Aug 16, 2007.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Is there a need for a extremely quick RB in Texans offense? We have power back in Green & Dayne and Ahmad is suppose to have some speed. Often in later rounds, there are several RB that can't be a starter necessarily or even get many carries for a full season, yet could be good to go for 5+ carries a game as an alternative to the Dayne and Green type backs. We do not seem to have this type player with true after burners.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

They were hoping Taylor would have the speed element. Have to see if he will be healthy next year.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah, that was my hope also. If it appears he will be healthy do we go with him? Or use a 5th, 6th or 7th pick or maybe go with UFA? I would like to see this type of back used in draw plays. When was the last time we saw Texans use that play. Could Gado be used in such a situation?

4. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

If we want speed, go with Slaton in the draft. Dude is quick.

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well let's hope we aren't in the position to draft him. I think he'll be a top ten pick for sure.

And..you're right, he's a good one for sure. I watched him alot last year. They should have a great season this year.:cool:

6. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

This draft is loaded with great backs so we should be fine.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I do not want to give up a high pick in 08 unless Green is out of picture. We need (as of today) a free safety and LT. That takes care of 1st and third picks in which ever order. Again based on right now Jacoby looks good at #2 WR and Kubes is still high on Walter. I can see us drafting a center in 4th or 5th. I am looking at Reggie Bush speed in 5th or lower and for only a few plays a game.

8. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

It would probably be better if we reserved what we need until after the season. You never know who will step up and get the job done, regardless of how obvious it looks right now. Players come out of nowhere every year.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

It's too early to determine what running backs will go where in next years draft, but I'd like to see Allan Patrick in a Texans uniform. He played well when Adrian Peterson got hurt at Oklahoma. Of course if Patrick (who's a senior) has a good year at OU then he might not be an option.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Ok you wait. Some of want to talk about what ifs and maybes, at least until real football begins.:whip: It is just for fun. Smiley face goes here.

11. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

There's some kid playing for Arkansas that's pretty good. He'd probably make an all right scat back.

12. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

its true in NCAA players can have a break out season at any time

13. real

real Guest

Jamal Charles

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I read about this guy earlier today, but indications are he will go pretty high in draft.

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm interested to see if Darius Walker can fill that type of role. I think he could fill the scat back-type role well, but it remains to be seen if he can do it at the NFL level. If he can return kicks and punts, he could turn into a Dave Meggett/Eric Metcalf-type back. Kind oflike RB, but more cost-effective ;)

16. real

real Guest

Darius Walker isn't a scat back...

17. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

i think we are fine with our rb's our depth goes deep with running backs here

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'm not sure what your reasoning is, Xtru, but I have heard others say Walker is not a scat back, simply because of his size (210ish). But, he is quicker than he is fast, he's pretty elusive, and he catches the ball well out of the backfield. He can dish out a little punishment now and then, but for the most part, that's not his game. I think he could be a scat back-type player in the NFL, if he makes it at all. We'll see.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

agreed...to me a so-called "scatback" is a guy more like Reggie Bush or Dave Meggett. Walker is just a smallish 3rd down back (if he even makes a roster in the NFL) in the mold of Mewelde Moore or Dom Davis

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yeah, I agree with that. Walker reminds me a lo of what they initially wanted DD to be. Your definition of scat back, though, hasn't really been prevalent in the NFL for a while. The NFL refuses to recognize RB as a scat back, even though he's the closest thing, IMO. I can't think of any others in the NFL. Trends go round and round, though, so who knows?

Yeah, I picture Walker as a 3rd-down type back that catches screens and outlets, carries a few, and maybe gets a few draw plays. That is the closest to a "scat back" that the NFL employs these days, I think. I could be missing someone, though.