Scary thought from J. McClain

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by whiskeyrbl, Apr 12, 2006.

1. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

In todays chronicle www.chron.com, McClain talks about the recent talks with M. Williams and how Bud Addams must be drooling over the possibility of getting to choose between Bush and Young,then goes on to say it would not be bad enough to face Young twice a year, but what if Indy were to trade up and take Bush!!! 4 games out of the year we could possibly face two of the best athletes to come into NFL in years not to mentuon they are in our division. I pray this does not happen. What a scary thought.

2. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Don't worry - it was just a straw man set up so he could talk about Vince/Reggie from a (on the surface) fresh perspective. It ended up being the same tired stuff.

3. PokerStar

PokerStar Veteran

Well McClain is doing another fluff piece for the Chron. Anyway the Mario talks are simple posturing by the Texans. Mario would be my pick hands down if I was the GM, but Bush is just as solid of a pick. It is pretty much deciding do I want an All-Pro on offense or defense, I am just a defense type guy. The pick is Reggie unless we get offered something sweet to trade down, but since there is no reason for that then we are taking Reggie.

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Bush has been the highest rated running back in college the last 3 years(that includes last year when 3 of top 5 NFL picks were RBs), and
    the top overall prospect in college by most the last 2 years, and unanimously this year. On the other hand, Mario had a good combine in Indy just a couple months ago and then people started to take notice.

5. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

So then why are teams not fighting over one another to move up and get this guy????

6. dhaNim

dhaNim Rookie

because they know its going to ruin the future of the their franchise if they go after him. all the teams pretty much know that the texans want him, and if they want him then they would be in forever debt to the texans. if any of the 32 franchises were in the #1 spot, they would all take bush.

7. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

I think that a)we are asking too much and b) teams realize eating that much cap space with a RB/KR/WR is not sound cap management.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Well said Nim. Bush would be prohibitively expensive to almost any team but the Texans. Almost anybody but us would have to sacrifice all of their first day Draft picks to get the #1 by way of trade. We can keep the top overall, select with it, and still have all of our other first day picks.

9. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

You might not agree with his football opinions but comparing him with a sick child predator is going way over the line. JM may has his faults but he is not a bad guy.

10. dwilt72

dwilt72 Veteran

Because teams go by a chart that assigns a point value to each position in the draft. The further you move up in the draft, the more points you have to give up. It is getting to the point that it is not feasible to move more than 3 or 4 positions at most or you end up doing something along the lines of what Ditka did to get Ricky Williams.

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

You notice you hear almost no rumors of anyone trading up to #1. Our demands must be high.

12. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I'm with you on the thoughts on McClain and your opinion of Bush vs. Mario. I think Bush will be a great pick and I for one am anxious to see what he can contribute to Kubiak's offense, but I'd still really like to see Mario in battle red.

Also, no way the Colts would be able to trade up to #1 and take Bush, just silly speculation by John McClain now that he has finally settled on Bush being the pick and the Texans are talking with someone other than Bush and his beloved Vince.

13. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

One of the guys on NFL Network today said that even if he got offered a "Ditka" for Bush, he would still turn it down.

14. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

Yeah, as if the Colts could fit Bush's contract under their cap. Talk about offensive heavy. Oh wait, I guess that's what we are doing. Nevermind.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it sure would suck to go 10-6, 12-4, 12-4, 14-2. That team hasn't lost their SB bids because of too much O talent, they have lost their bids because they have been out coached (Hollywood Texan should appreciate this one).

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

no one in the top 10 is really in desperate need of a runningback, for one (think miami last year @ #2). if you're going to trade an entire draft AND pay 30 million guaranteed, it better be for the one player that completes the team and puts you in the super bowl in 2 years. secondly, this is a very loaded draft at many positions. so trade away all your picks, pay a guy 30 million that's not a huge need and miss out on another outstanding player. just not a smart investment.

17. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

Right, they lost their SB bids because they were beaten by WELL ROUNDED TEAMS.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Not sure Pittsburgh's vaunted 24th ranked passing attack qualifies as well rounded nor was it critical to their win over Indy. A lopsided but effective D and rushing attack won that day.

19. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

So why pass if you can run the ball?

And obvioulsy I was talking about a team balanced between offense and defense as opposed to spending a much larger chunk of the cap on offense (as we would be doing by drafting Bush).

20. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

A Frightening thought indeed... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/bill_syken/04/13/scorecard.daily/