SBNation Talks About Dr. Doom

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by eriadoc, Aug 29, 2009.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

He says a lot of the things most of us natives know, but he mentioned one thing that I didn't realize, or at least it didn't click until I read it:

Brazile was 6'4", 241 lbs. That was big for that time. Hell, it's big for this time. Brian Cushing is 6'3", 243 lbs., and people rave about his size.

Anyway, here's the link and an excerpt:

Brando likes this.
  2. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Get Johnny McClain on it!

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

He has been, actually. One thing I cannot fault McClain on is his HoF support for former Oilers. However, there is a serious bias against defensive players. According to a link in the article, for instance:

Add Rod Woodson to that list now. This year's class is the first in which they've made a concerted effort to get defensive guys in. As an aside, according to the article, there is only one nose tackle in the HoF.

On top of that defensive bias, the Oilers never won anything. So that makes it very difficult for McClain to argue their case. However, in Brazile's case, he truly was the prototype that made the 3-4 defense what it is today. As an eight-time All Pro in a pioneering position, that makes him a HoF player in my book.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Brazile is probably my all time favorite Oiler. I've mentioned many times over the years here and at other places that I considered him a HOF'er. He was a beast on the edge. It's just a shame that he will probably never get in.

5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Brando likes this.
  6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Signed it a couple days ago. I doubt it'll gain much traction, but it's worth 3 minutes of my time. The HoF has already inducted the two best LBs to follow in his footsteps in LT and RJackson. They should have already had Brazile in there.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I've always referred to Dr. Doom as "The LT before there was an LT".