Satisfaction as of now.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by rockabilly, Mar 20, 2006.

?

How is the new staff doing so far in your opinion?

1. Good!

100 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Fair...

66 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. Here we go again...

31 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. rockabilly

rockabilly Veteran

A couple of months into the new Texan era, how do you like the current job the new staff is doing (trying to bring in players, cutting players, etc.).

2. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

Yo no se, chico! It's a wait and see. But I can't really complain til I see the product on the field.

3. J-Storm

J-Storm Veteran

I would like to have seen a big play made at maybe 1 big name in FA, like Bentley for instance. Even if we aren't going to get into a bidding war, at least make teams think we are doing more than waiting for the 1st day of the Draft to jus' ultimately go with the sexy pick of Reggie Bush...

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I only have one complaint so far .... They havent done anything to upgrade the worst O-line in the NFL .... Until the line gets better the offense will struggle no matter who is calling the plays . If they address this prior to the start of the season Ill have little to complain about. :cool:

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Sherman

6. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

btw..before anyone else says we havent done anything about the Oline and it still sucks.

Remember Hudson Houck? He is that guy that is now at Miami coaching the Oline..he was in San Diego and he took a terrible line full of rookies and made them one of the better lines in the league in one season.

Coaching matters.

7. TheChad

TheChad Rookie

Kubiak is a pretty good coach. And it's supposedly he who came up with the "dive-at-the-defenders-knees" approach which forced defenders to either fall down or have their legs snapped in half. That's one reason for Denver's huge success with no-name runners.

Not sure about Sherman, but the fact he was at one point a head coach does say something.

They should have been more active in free agency though. We needed Bently and we should be going for Jullian Peterson. Randle-El and Jurevicious wouldn't have been bad. Ramsey would have been a good backup.

All in all though... I mean we can't do much worse. So it's all an improvement.

8. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    I think they are doing ok. It would be good if they could pick up Ashworth, Flanagan, Burleson and Peterson. Oh and add in Putzier.

9. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Cut some deadwood that wasn't up to the new staff's par, brought in some relatively unknowns to not break the bank early in the offseason (though that may appease some to have a recognizable name since we're "one player away"). Building up some competition / depth / replacements for the future and no major questionable moves.

So too early to go with "here we go again" to judge the product as a team, so I'll go with "good".

10. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

So when did you evaluate the game film, Are you so certian it is the line and not the Tight end or running backs or maybe David himself. I trust Gary knows a tad more about film evaluation than any of you "O-Line sucks" people. The coach is following his plan to almost a T and people still complain, You just can't please everyone now can you.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Now, if we can just get our defenders to yank off some face-masks and go for QBs heads, we'll be ready. :redtowel:

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Well lets see, if we had Bentley, Peterson, Randle El, and Jurevicius we would probably be $20 million over the cap right now. Bentley was going for way more than what we could afford. We aren't one of the teams that was $25 million under the cap and could spend freely. Randle El, IMO, is no better than a #3 WR. Look at his numbers, the most catches he's had is 47 in his rookie year. If we get Ike Hilliard, his number are better than Jurevicius. Peterson would have been nice, but I don't want to greatly overspend for him, especially after a season when he was hurt. I do agree about Ramsey though, I would have liked him as a backup and I think he would have given Carr some competition.

13. PokerStar

PokerStar Veteran

I am not sure about some of the signings mainly Rosefals and Weaver, but Jameel Cook is similar to the guy in Denver. He is a guy that can be a RB if desperate and is an athletic Fullback which Denver likes to use in the redzone. Walter is a nice 3 receiver and should be hopefully Jurevicius esque. Putz will be big for us and him and Weaver will be our top FA moves. I think we could have given 20M and got Rocky Bernard who is the same size as Weaver and gets more sacks, but hindsight is crystal clear. Either way hopefully Smith convinces Kubes to go Mario and they tell Weaver to gain 10-15lbs and move him inside.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I've got mixed feelings.... I'm a bit disappointed, that what I saw as our strengths, these coaches, thought were our weeknesses... the weeknesses I see, appear to be considered strengths...

For one, I like the 3-4.... & more than anything, I'd love to see Babin and Peek have one more stab at it..... along with our other guys, but sacking the QB is what gets me excited. So we go to the 4-3, and we pick up mister 7 sacks in 4 years..(I understand the 3-4 DE/DT concept)........ I am a firm believer, that if we had constant pressure on the QB last year, our D would have been 10Xs better.

Offensively, I thought our RBs and WRs were our strengths....... AJ, Armstrong, Mathis, and Gaffney.....DD, Wells, Morency..... If David Carr gets better, there is no way you can not think those WRs wouldn't improve their game. & they are going to be getting new coaches... just like David will.
    DD and Morency I think are going to explode behind Kubes line. Wells will also, I think he was a bit of a late bloomer....... definitely worth keeping around.

I'm happy, that Kubes didn't (or rather, has yet to) scrap the OL.... without a doubt, that position is more about consistency, than any other. Playing with the same guy next to you, playing with the same QB behind you. If you go so far as to replace more than half of the line, you're rebuilding.... doesn't matter, if they are FAs, or rookies..... you're starting from scratch.

I'm glad Tony Banks is gone... I can't stand a career backup... If a guy ends up being a career backup, I have nothing against him. But for someone to say.... I'm not interested in the Starter job...... that's insane to me. Each and every player on our team has to want to be the man.... they should all want the opportunity to get on the field, and show the league what they can do. If this team doesn't believe they should be the man, they should be hoping someone watching does. I don't think anyone should be wanting Carr to get hurt, but I want my backup to think he is starter material....

Overall, I'm happy that the FO is active in FA...... I can't wait fot the Draft, I can't wait for the season.

15. Mattheus_Rex

Mattheus_Rex Veteran

Good now that someone decided that 4-3 is the way to go.

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Actually, he was looking to be a starter after the end of the 2004 season. He was a free agent and he said that he wanted to be a starter. He didn't get any offers so he resigned with the Texans. It's not that he wants to be a backup for his whole career, it's just that he's not good enough to be a starter. Kind of like Jason Garrett was for the Cowboys.

17. TheChad

TheChad Rookie

Some people also just like to be career holders. Just look at Koy Detmer. He was second string and he still didn't play when McNabb got injured.

Well yea but I thought we'd at least shoot for one of them.

18. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

You need a very good or excellent vote item. Actually, I think they have done a very good to excellent job so far. I'm probably one of the few, but so far everything is logical and has been explained reasonably well. When the mix all comes together we will make a final assessment. Right now, I'm very happy.....

19. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I went ahead and voted good even though I am not thrilled with the FA acquisitions as of time of this writing. IMO the single greatest problem with this team has already been fixed, for the substantial better: Kubiak and Co. have replaced Capers and the Stooges.

September can't come fast enough.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Coaching does matter .... but the player has to bring something to the table as well .... 208 sacks over 4 seasons under various coaches says something is wrong .

Yes there are other things that contribute to the sack total .... Carr's lack of pocket presence and failure to throw the ball away before taking a sack or running out of bounds .... DD isnt very good at picking up blitzing LB's .... TE's who arent very good blockers .

But when a team uses primarily Three and Five step drops , short curls and slant patterns and still gives up 68 sacks .... There is enough blame to go around.

Milford Brown and Fred Weary as your starting Edit Guards last season was a disaster ..... McKinney getting manhandled and pushed back in the pocket wasnt pretty either . Pitts had a decent second half of the season after the failed Victor Riley experiment ..... Wade couldnt stay on the field which forced Wiegart from RG to RT .... Hurting two positions.

For those of you saying there is nothing wrong ....Dont go calling us "Chicken Little " or "Doom and Gloom" .... Its reality .... the team was 2-14 ....The offense and Defense were both statisticly DEAD LAST for the past season .... Some of the problems from last season are still problems today . When the team is competitive and lacks huge weaknesses .... you wont hear chicken little screaming the sky is falling .

I truely hope this team makes me eat some crow this coming season (Kinda like you :homer: 's last year) .....But some of us have been saying this same thing for the past Four Years ..... and we havent been wrong yet .

As for the current coaching staff .... they deserve a grace period , they inherited a HUGE MESS and it will take more than one off-season to fix it.