Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Same Story, Different Book

Ranger

Waterboy
I haven't been here in a while, but a new season is on us and I thought I would check in a little more. Plus its time to let off a little steam. This is what I thought of today's pathic game against the Bills. Here We Go:

1) Before you go and say Carr is not the QB of the future, lets look at who is blocking him. The offensive line was the cause of this loss in the game. Not that you didn't already know that, but, we had a chance in the offseason to improve the line, and we didn't. We went after Orlando Pace but we were to scared to give up 2 first round picks. Instead we got Victor Riley, another slow, fat lineman. This offensive line is so slow, its hard to call them professionals. They don't fire off of the ball, and aren't smart enought to pick up the blitzs. We have to leave the TE and RBs in there to help them. Although Wand has struggled, he is much quicker with his feet then Riley. My god the Saints got rid of him that should tell you something. McKinney and Weighert are back-ups at best.

2) No Game planning. All of the offseason I heard about this wonderful new 3 step drops for Carr and the offensive line and I saw none of that today. We couldn't even call a passing play that didn't go to Andre Johnson. Its sad when you have to throw into double coverage the whole time. We have got to find a 2nd option. Jabar Gaffney ain't even looking at the ball anymore, all Corey Bradford is good for is fades, and where was Derrick Armstrong? Jerome Mathis should give us another weapon, but he can't be the one guy to change everything. He has a lot to learn. He has to delevop as a liget reciever, right now all he has is talent. I know Buffalo has one of the best if not the best defense in the league, but I thought we had to establish the run today with both Davis and Moreancy, and then come back with the play action to attack a wore down Bills defense. We had no running game whatsoever, expect the always expected first down run. Moreancy didn't even get a carry in this game. We needed to wear down the Bills defense by smashing the football, and we didn't even try. David Carr running for his life was our rush offense.

3) Kudos to the defense for playing their hearts out. Given that the Bills got the ball at their 40 about 4 times in the 1st quater and the defense holding them to a feild goal every time and keeping us in this game was I thought the lone bright spot in the game. The Longhorns did the same thing Saturday night, and they came away winning that game. But again, no pass rush. There was several times Losman ran away from it, and Losman impressed me with his feet, but we still have to learn how to contain the QB. It looked better, but not good enough. Our sack ratio is terrible. We gave up 5 and only got 1. Terrible. Jason Simmons let me down a couple of times, one time when McGahee juked him on a 3rd down I thought was pathetic, you got to come up and just hit him, not dance with him. Buhcannon was a little shaky, and the Bills went right after him. But C.C. Brown was just as good as advertised, he made some plays today. We still have to create turnovers.

4) I'm fed up with this coaching staff. They are so damn conserative, its unreal. Capers has to grow a set, if you know what I mean, and make some aggresive calls. We are a young football team and young football teams have got to be aggresive. If we can't get a couple of inches on a 4th down, then we don't need to be on the feild. We can't always run on 1st down either. We are so predictable is makes me sick. Capers and Palmer WILL NOT be around for next season. They will cost us future games down the road because of them being conservative.

We have a really good football team. Its only the first game of the season and it can only get better, I hope. The AFC is a tough conference to compete in. I think we have a good enough team to get to the playoffs, but we have to be aggresive. If we keep playing like this and make the same old mistakes that have killed us in the past, I don't really see us winning more than 5 games. The rest of the AFC has gotten better. Its hard 2 say right now so have we. Next weeks game against the Steelers and the Week 4 matchup at Cinncinati all of a sudden become huge games for us. We can't start 0-3. Right now I woudn't be surprised.

jr0ck

Waterboy
Capers has to grow a set, if you know what I mean, and make some aggresive calls.
fourth and goal from the one early in the game, when your down 12-0 (on the road no less), takes a bigger set than most folks have (well as a real head coach, not a monday morning QB or madden player). i knew after we went for it i'd see the irony of caper's being called conservative on the board after the game...

Great stuff, Ranger. I agree. After what I saw of Riley, I'm ready to see Wand back in action. Regardless, they have to do something about that O-line. It's been 4 years, and they are still nothing more than a bunch of guys standing around.

A big hell yeah to the D. Since this is their first year together, my expectations were low. That they continuously stopped the Bills when they had their backs up against the walls was impressive. This was a route, but it could have been a lot worse if the D wasn't there.

Rightnow

Waterboy
I can deal with a loss, but to see the offense look totally unprepared? Capers is to blame.

I was on Caper's side this year. I wasn't calling for Palmer's head, I still think David Carr can be a good QB in the right situation. This game was a debacle and a total embarrassment. Shame on the offensive coaching staff! :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass

LBC_Justin

Rookie
Ranger,
This is probably the first post I have seen where I pretty much agree with every single word.

Thanks for saving me the time of writing exactly what you wrote.

:texflag: :texflag: :texflag: