Sam Bradford returning to OU

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by gtexan02, Jan 14, 2009.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3832957

I can't believe it. You're pretty much guaranteed to go top 5. Maybe #1. Why would you risk that?

Anyway, that screws us up a little bit. Another elite player will be taken before #15 now

I wonder if the thought of going to Detroit was just too much

I bet this plays out like it did for Leinart. That didn't end up working out too well for him

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

What an *****!

God I hate the freaking country bumpkin Sooners. Now they'll probably be ranked higher than the Longhorns again next season and some how Texas will get screwed.

Why would he stay another year when he can cash in right now? I hope this puts him in later rounds next season and he loses a lot of money. I hate the Sooners.

3. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

It's not all about the money. This will help him when he turns pro. QB's in college need to stay as long as possible to get ready for the NFL.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

No reason to be bitter.

He will be playing behind four new starters on the o line and lost all his top three WRs.

We should beat them again next year. Maybe this time it will actually count.

5. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I guess he doesn't like Detroit .

6. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Because he is not ready for the NFL. Why did Colt go back? He is farther along as a QB than Bradford IMO.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Even as a Texas fan I disagree with that. Colt takes at least 90% of his snaps in the shotgun. Bradford is closer to 40-50%.

Colt has more zip on his short passes and is easily more athletic, but Bradford has the edge on all routes 15+.

8. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

I was about to comment on that post, but you beat me to it and hit the nail on the head. Good for Bradford though, it seems too many young college players are taking too big of a risk by entering the draft early when they should go back a year.

9. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Dumb, dumb, dumb! What else does he have to prove? Oklahoma is not going to win the championship next season. All he is doing is potentially hurting his draft stock. A Top 5 pick not entering the draft? This has been a weird year already. McCoy, Mays, and now Bradford?!? What the hell are they thinking?

10. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

I just want these guys to turn pro so the Texans have more good players fall to their draft slot!

Call me greedy!

:fans:

11. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I used to think McCoy just wasn't an NFL QB. He proved me wrong this season, his throws are looking a lot better. I see McCoy, I see the perfect QB for Mike Shannahan. I like his arms, I like his legs, I just like him as a player, even though I don't like how he and Mack Brown went on a media tour bashing the BCS and Oklahoma/Florida.

Bradford, though, just looks like an NFL QB. I think he has some things to work out, like playing under pressure, but I'm sure I'll be hearing his name on Sundays in a few years. It'd be awesome to see Bradford and McCoy get drafted into the same division and have them fight it out a few more years.

bah007 likes this.
  12. mexican_texan

One more thing, I think Bobby Reid was a senior, is there any chance he plays in the NFL?

13. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Yeah thats why I would have liked Bradford to declare as well. At least Sanchez from USC declared, hes not guaranteed to be a top 15 pick but I would bet he goes before our pick.

14. mexican_texan

If the Ravens win the Super Bowl, there will definitely be inflated stock for QBs in the draft.

15. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I can't help it. I just hate Oklahoma with such a passion. Beating them is never a lock, especially when Greg Davis is our play caller. We may have won the last 3 out of 4, but history in the Stoops vs. Mack match ups will tell you that when Oklahoma has a QB past his sophmore season we lose those. The only recent year where we beat them when they didn't was when Colt was a Freshman and they lost Bomar to that scandal and they had to switch their WR back over to QB so that really doesn't count and Oklahoma still won the Big 12 any way that year. Every QB that Oklahoma gets is good so that isn't really the issue. When they had White, Heupal, and Hyble we lost those. And Bradford has already beaten us once, and threw for like 4 or 5 TD's in the last match up this year. I think we can win, but I was feeling really good about next year with Bradford not being there and them needing a new starter. With the game plans that Mack and Greg Davis throw out there in a lot of these Big Games, it does worry me for next year.

This is a bad move though. His stock is high now and there is no guarantee that it will be as high next year and even just ten slots back in the first round is a lot of money that you're losing when their is no guarantee that you'll even be a starter your entire career. That first contract that a ton of first round college athletes get is their highest one because so many of them become busts or sub par players so you have to hit the jack pot when the slot machine is hot.

bah007 likes this.
  16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Going to Detroit might've killed it. Next year could end up being an interesting year for QBs in the draft.

I don't know if the Leinart comparison is apt though. Bradford has a stronger arm and plays in a tougher division. He just might not feel he's ready and to be honest in the day when semi decent players will try to bolt it's nice to see a guy return, even if I don't like the program.

17. Blake

Blake MMQB

If going to Detroit is such a deal breaker, what is he going to do if Detroit has the #1,2 or three next year? Stay in school again?

Its just too risky. Get drafted #1. Get your money, and hope you can bring a winning attitude to a franchise with a new GM and new head coach.

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

It worked for Matt Ryan

19. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I would do anything NOT to play in Detroit. I think that was a big part of it.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think he should have taken that risk , he had $50 Million reasons to do so , an injury or a regression in his play will cost him lots of money .... Even though Lienart isnt getting any snaps and even if he never plays another meaningful down he's pretty much set for life with the contract he signed. I believe he was guaranteed $24 Million ..... think of how long it takes the average employee to make $24 Million .... With an average wage of $42,000 it takes 571.42 years just to put it in perspective.