Salary Cap

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MojoMan, Jul 27, 2008.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Based on Keith Weiland's calculation at intheBullseye.com (as of July 22, 2008), the Texan's were about 8 million under the cap before cutting Charles Spencer, and before signing Duane Brown (11.5 million over 5 years). If this calculation is correct, this looks like a lot of available salary cap space going into the season. Are the Texan's going to leave these resources on the table, or could we see a significant free agent signing some time in the next couple of months?

The Texan's could get at least one very nice player for that amount of money.

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think that the Texans will of course pay attention to who becomes available around the league during training camp but I also think that they know the importance of leaving yourself a little room to pick up players over the course of the season as injuries take their toll.

If you're pressed right up the cap limit you don't have any money to sign guys to fill holes if the injury bug attacks (like it has the last couple of years).

3. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Subtract the 52nd and 53rd salary from the available amount and a few million for the IR buffer and that's what you really have to work with. I'm not sure there is one 'very nice player' that's worth a lot of money who's still available. Lots of familiar names and former stars who are near the ends of careers are out there but if they could really be helping teams, they would probably be in camp already... I think the Texans remaining signings will be of the Anthony Maddox ilk, i.e., good depth and cheap.

4. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

5. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I think the question was about signings from the remaining FA pool this year.

6. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

ahh, I see. Who's out right now that could possibly help us though?(Ty Law? maybe Mike Bell). We're already having a difficult time with the roster as it is, i.e cutting some pretty decent players to go down to 53. I guess we're waiting to see who's going to get cut from other teams, then make a decision on if we're going to spend anymore.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yep. Let's just wait to see who gets cut later on.

8. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't see the Texans making any more significant moves to bolster the team. Personally, I like the team we have. I don't know if there are any players that could significantly improve this team anyway.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Isn't Shaun Alexander still available?

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Man, I hope that's a joke! His career is over. He's been awful for two years. Sluggish, afraid to hit the holes... no thanks!

there are no RBs available right now that are good enough to replace the 5 we have in camp right now.

Regarding the room in the cap, my guess is they'll do some restructuring and maybe get some guys signed to count against this year's cap: Demeco, Dunta?, Winston, etc..

11. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Who knows how injuries will effect us, it's really good to see the FO being fiscally responsible and having something put away in the event we need to go out and snag a player to fill a glaring need.

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Line dancing is good for your salary cap. :kingkong:

13. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

I expect them to leave themselves a good amount of salary cap space, not just for picking up fill-in FAs, but also to redo contracts of current players, and accelerate the hit into the current year.

My understanding is that if you work out a new contract with a player before the end of the season, you count this year as the first year, and thus accelerate some of the hit into this year, instead of future years. I think this mainly comes into play with the signing bonus (since I don't think you can adjust salary for games already played), but there's probably a way to accelerate some of the hit as salary, also.

In the same way, if there's no cap room left, it means they are limited in how they can rework contracts (have to wait until after the season, or do some sort of weird guaranteed salary/roster bonus instead of a signing bonus), since otherwise the signing bonus would have to be allocated in the current year. So, if they want to rework a contract early, they want to have some room available.

I konw Dunta Robinson's contract is up after this year, so I expect they will want to rework that. I don't know which other players they might also want to resign, but leaving some room is always good. They can always "use it up" by reworking someone's contract at the end of the year (converting future salary to current), if they want to.

MojoMan likes this.
  14. Spike

Spike Veteran

I was thinking the same thing. We are about to enter into a new era in the Texans organization where the focus is on keeping the current players, as opposed to keeping an eye in other player's free agents.

MojoMan likes this.
  15. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

gosh, what a funny funny feeling.

16. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

I think the texans could go after Safety Roy Williams once the Cowboys release him from there roster, he would fit really nice into our defense and he would solidify our back end.

17. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

id rather just use the spare cap to accelerate some bonuses so re-signing dunta wont be a problem next year

18. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

What?? Why on earth would the Texans want that over hyped awful safety? He can't cover, and he doesn't even tackle well anymore unless he horse collars someone. System or no system, we'd be absolute fools to go after that guy.

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

[​IMG]

*Too slow! Texecutioner already addressed it*

20. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i didn't deem this worthy of a new thread so i tagged it onto the end of the closest related one i could find.

i just read an article on chron.com that mentions:
    i don't remember him resigning. i thought he was just under continuing contract. am i mistaken?