Sage or Plummer??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Feb 17, 2007.

?

Who Should we start.. in '07?? Sage?? Jake?? Carr??

1. Sage

22.6%
  2. Jake

18.3%
  3. Carr

27.8%
  4. Let them compete......

31.3%
  1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'd like to get a gauge about how many guys would actually want to hand the starting job to Jake the Snake.

I don't hate Jake, but I gave up watching him when he got the shakes in Arizona. I figured it was a matter of time before that Jake showed up in Denver. Same way I feel about David. Kubiak might get some solid production out of Carr, but it's only a matter time before the bad David will show up at the wrong time. Kinda like Jake in the AFC Championship game.

I also believe that we gave David too much last year, to give up on him all of a sudden. But I believe the worst thing we can do, is start him for a 6th year.

To see this through, we need to start Sage, & let David calm down on the sideline. Take all the pressure off of him. Let him focus on playing football, and getting better.

2. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I feel like I have argued this whole Sage thing a thousand times and Plummer 999 times.

Neither of them are an immediate up grade to Carr and Carr still has the biggest upside of the 3.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I would like for the 1st time in this teams existance to have an actual competition .

4. trutxn

trutxn Veteran

You got that right, Carr is better than both of them.

5. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

I dont even want Plummer on the team, much less trying to win a starting spot... Hows that for honesty?

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Every position on the team should be open to competition. The most productive player, whoever that is, should be playing unless you're going to accept a down year to train someone (which is what I think they were trying to do for the majority of last year) and in general, you should only do that for a rookie.

7. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Couldn't have said it better myself.:highfive: :perfect10:

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I don't know how else to explain my opinion

Carr is an upgrade to no one and the excuses must stop at some point. I don't see the upside some see because I've yet to see improvment regarding basic QBing

Roselnfels looked sharp in the limited time I saw him play. He looked more comfortible in the pocket by a long shot compared to Carr. BUT I still don't think he is the starter.

Plummer is Cybil and you don't know what you are going to get. I liked what I saw from him under Kubiak. If he could repeat that here he would be a slight upgrade.

As for all of them competing. You thought this year was tough, wait until every game is parsed and you have people crying for the backup...whoever he is. No to competition with Carr involved. Bad business and not good for the team.

That sums up my basics.

9. Honoring Earl 34

I think the QB position has'nt been our strong suit anyhow . We will win at least 7 no matter who is QB . Good QB play may get us to 9 wins .

I think we go with Sage , Porter , and young guy . WTF at least we can sign more FAs .

10. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I agree, and take the money you would waste flip flopping QBS (Carr/Plummer) and put it towards signing Pettigout. 08 looks like a better year to address the QB position.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

That is exactly what I have thought. I'd take Rosenfels..maybe Plummer for a year or two and you have the young guy learn the system. I don't think you can say those 3 are the answer but I think moving Carr would help all parties move along while we get an eventual upgrade and Carr gets a better situation.

12. Honoring Earl 34

There problem solved ... now global warming .

13. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Competition brings out the best in most people.

14. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

ahh global warming is B. S. they can't even predict the weather from week to week. How can they predict how the climate will change.

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Jake Plummer's 3 years under Kubiak:

2003 - 189/302 2182 yds, 15 TDs and 7 INTs, 91.2 QB rating
    2004 - 303/521 4089 yds, 27 TDs and 20 INTs, 84.5 rating
    2005 - 277/456 3366 yds, 18 TDs and 7 INTs, 90.2 rating

Plummer knows the sytem and has had success in the system. There's a lot of QB's who have upside. Carr's had 5 years to prove that he can turn that upside into something. Now he's never been given enough to work with, but even in those 5 years he would have shown something that says "Wow, if we had the right pieces in place he could thrive here." I would take Plummer over Carr in a heartbeat.

16. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

IMHO, I think Carr is a great PRACTICE player, so I think he would win any competition. However, I voted for Sage out of the three listed, because I don't want Plummer at all, and even though Carr is great in practice, he just can't seem to produce in game situations.

17. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 Veteran

Sage is not the future...Jake is not a Texan...when and if he is then I will decide again although I probably will go with Carr...and David to start in 07 will finally be surrounded by the best talented Texan team yet after all the healing injuries, FA, draft, and Kube & Co with one year in Houston behind them.Then once and for all this year finally observe, analyze, react, and change QB's to truth or fiction to all the Carr vs anti-Carr rhetoric debates. Also one has to consider from all spoken possibilities from the FO and unproven rumors that before 07 season even begins we may not even have both Jake and Carr although IMO unlikely.:throwball:

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What injuries??

Jameel Cook..... when he gets to 100%, he'll be cut from the team.

Weigart...... when he gets to 100%, he'll be lucky to be Winston's backup.

Flanagan...... when he gets to 100%, he'll be lucky to stay on the team.

Salaam, Pitts, McKinney, Weary, Winston is a much better line that what we started with.

Spencer, Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney, Weigart.

The only exception might be Spencer over Salaam, but we don't know that he would have played better for 16 games..... He looked good.. he's got potential, & I hope he comes back to be our LT, but we don't know that he would have worked out better than Salaam.

Owen is our starting TE..... Bruenner is our second.

Andre is the man..... Moulds will most likely be back..... & Kevin Walter, Derrick Anderson will most likely return as well.

Wali will still be on the team. Chris Taylor will return. I'd like to see RonDayne back, and can't see him not being on the team.

There isn't one position that hasn't been made better on offense, due to injury, with the possible exception of Spencer/Salaam.

So the team that finished the last three games of '06 will most likely be the starting team in '07.

19. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 Veteran

Exactly I understand..I was merely implying about the unplanned effect that occured to the team in the starting 06 performance. For any team to have at least five starters, maybe more not sure, going down for the season is unusually unexpected and therefore changes and rotations occurred and consistency is harmed by it. Sure you can rule out those only three starters Weigart, Flanagan, Cook, and install others but those three could still be good candidates for backups now to the new starters because of the veteran depth second string that has to be considered. An injured starter is only as good as a healthy backup and any player is potential to injury for one day up to and including the entire season. Sure you can have best talented NFL starters in every position on a team but if and when they start going down for long periods of time hopefully the backups will fulfill the same mission.

20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I don't think our future is on our team, yet.