"Sage has starting ability" -- Kubiak

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tale Gator, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

Some direct quotes from Kubiak I feel are good for discussion -- Kubiak is thinking some of the same things we are talking about on the boards. That Kubiak described Carr as "Shakey" last night during the half time interview was surprising.
    _______

"He's very composed, he's a great leader and he understands coverages."

--Kubiak

Houston Chronicle/ full article

"I told David that the Rams have an aggressive defense, and when they come after us, he's got to make those plays," Kubiak said. "I felt there were seven or eight times when we could have made plays.

"I was disappointed in some things early, but he battled back. He knows I'm just trying to make him better."

--Kubiak

Houston Chronicle/ full article

2. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

My view of this is that I am cool with whatever Kubiak does with all things quarterback.

He sees the game tape. He knows what is supposed to happen. He's seen all the practices etc.

And he is not dealing with widgets but rather human beings. He knows that.

So, I am guessing that he will make whatever is the best decision based on the best information, team dynamics and what will make his football team better in the long run.

Talk radio is going to be unlistenable because people will go beyond what was on the field and exaggerate some, but just for me, what is cool with Kubiak as it relates to quarterbacks, is 100% cool by me.

chuckm and RTP2110 like this.
  3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Just talk radio? Don't forget the message board. :)

4. veazeyt

veazeyt Rookie

It is possible for coaches to make statements so that they can further motivate players.

It sounded like Carr needs to learn coverages better. Inotherwords, watch more tape?

But of course this is just speculation, so let the speculation begin.

5. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

I think the offense has potential of being a high scoring offense. I wish Kris Brown hadn't missed from 37, but ah well.

Rosenfels is looking more like the QB benefitting the most from Coach Kubiak's system. Carr is coming around but I still think the 208 sacks is looming there, making him a bit shaky. I like the way he bounced back though, but at the same time he's getting shown up by #2.

Look at the bright side, VY hasn't won yet. :D

6. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

He knows his roll...............

Back up QB is the main man on every football team.

7. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Playing against #2s and 3s. Can we please keep this in mind.

8. Texans_Chick

On the MB it is easier for me to scan and ignore the dumbest stuff. If it gets nuts, and posts get trollish, they get vanquished.

Callers after games bother me more because they go on and on and most say such stupid stuff. That, and you can't eject Rich Lord other than changing the station.

9. Aztequila

Aztequila Rookie

I couldn't agree more with you. I have faith in David Carr, he just has to shake off the hundreds of sacks he's taken. When he realizes that he has more protection out there with the new system, he is going be one hell of a threat. It's good to know that rosenfels is capable if needed though.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

For what its worth

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060727/SPORTS19/60727015

Coach's do this often, especially in their inaugural year. They keep their QBs on their toes and through competition aprove the overal play of both. This is only going to make the starting QB and back up better.

11. Runner

I guess I'm the opposite. Sometimes I'm like a moth to the message board flame. Like you I scroll right through a lot of the poorest posts, but I still read a lot.

I can easily not listen to sports talk radio. Between the commercials, off-topic host rants, and some of the callers I find it unbearable most of the time. I listen when players/coaches are scheduled, that's about it.

12. Texans_Chick

I'm addicted to sports talk. I think it is because I am fussy about music. Bad music kills me.

Flame posts are bothersome, but there are enough good nuggets in the mix to make it worth reading. You can't say that about a lot of sports MBs.

13. Runner

Agreed - we are complaining about parts of the MB. It is still one of the best MBs - sports or otherwise - around.

14. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Comments from Kubiak such as these give me hope for the future.

He knows QB's and knows what he's doing. He's telling Carr like it is and doing something that Capers and Co. never did...letting him know (through statements such as 'Sage has starting ability') that Carr's job is up for grabs if he doesn't play like Kubiak wants him to.

It would be my estimation that if Carr underperforms in a few games in the regular season, that Kubiak will start Sage to send the message to Carr that underperformance is unacceptable. I also estimate that if this occurs...Carr comes back and continually plays better than he ever has before.

15. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I can't stand the radio, mostly for the aforementioned callers. As much as you would hope the correct use of a telephone inherent to the process would weed out some of the dumbest callers, I continue to be unpleasantly surprised.

16. football freak

football freak Rookie

I think Miami or Denver are on the trade radar for our next starting QB

17. Aztequila

Aztequila Rookie

I happen to find Sports Radio very entertaining, as long as they are cover issues you care about. We have three or four good ones out here in Southern California, so I usually switch back and forth between them when things get lame.

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I agree with this. If Carr isn't doing the right reads, put Sage in. I realize less than a football game has been played with the 1st string offense, yet season time comes and we get to the bye week and Carr is still struggling, then yank him..

I honestly feel that it is time for anyone not to use the "expansion" tag anymore and I also feel if Carr has good protection through the 1st 6 games and making the wrong reads still, it is time to see what another QB can do. It would have to be tough love because we all know that Carr has taken a pounding but that excuse would need to go out the window also when 1/3 of the season is gone.

19. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

We have two Sports Radio stations here. Not many choices, but Sirius is going to come in handy soon.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

You'll never regret it if you get Sirius. (eh . . is there a pun in there?;))

But 'Siriusly', once you start listening to NFL Sirius Radio, you'll recognize 610 and 790 for the pieces of crap they really are.