Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Safeties

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I haven't reviewed the game on DVR yet but it is clear that the addition of Harrison at safety the past two weeks has really helped the defense.

Demps, Wilson, and Harrison were all over the place yesterday. It seems their instincts and quickness to the ball are much better than what we've had the past few seasons. The addition of Harrison combined with the good overall health in the secondary and the return of Dunta is gonna be great for this secondary going forward.

agreed. i still see people (including harrison) tackling poorly and being out of position. got to get that righted.

I might be in the minority on this one but does Brandon Harrison look slow? Maybe it was the guy he was trying to catch yesterday, idk, but he seemed kinda slow to me.

I seen Harrison get beat alot by the recievers he was covering in the last two games. It's his first season really, since he was hurt all last year, and his first two game he started so I gave him a benefit of the doubt. He didn't give up abunch of big plays and can tackle pretty well, so cleary he's an upgrade over Brown.

On Wilson, I notice him playing alot of nickle back and was rotating with Bennett the last two games. I hardly seen Bennett in the Fins game, and only saw him when Faggins was injured. It looks like Bennett is slowly on the decline and was losing time to Wilson on the last game.

I might be in the minority on this one but does Brandon Harrison look slow? Maybe it was the guy he was trying to catch yesterday, idk, but he seemed kinda slow to me.

that was just the "i'm not gonna catch this guy but i still have to act like i am" trot.

Someone said it, but he was all over the field yesterday, aggressively flying in the box when he saw the run & usually in the right position when a pass came his way. He needs reps to get better at diagnosing the play which is why it looks as though he was the guy that was beaten on that wildcat reverse pass. But overall i like his aggressiveness to the ball. But most importantly i'm hopeful that this may spell the end for CC "toasties" brown.

He's out of position a lot, but I think he does fine as a rotation guy until he's comfortable.

I thought I saw him hobble off the field though yesterday?

He's out of position a lot, but I think he does fine as a rotation guy until he's comfortable.

I thought I saw him hobble off the field though yesterday?

I think he had a cramp. I totally disagree that he's out of position a lot. The fact is, he's always in the screen because he's in position. Often in the past, I would be left wondering where the safeties are at. 2 weeks in a row that's not the case- he's been in on the play. He's given up some plays but always in a very tight window.

He looked silly on the sideline trying to tackle Cobbs but that's one of 20 plays that he was in on.

Harrison is a little bit slow for his position (the main reason I was against drafting him).

But he has good instincts and can usually make up for his lack of speed by getting his reads done quickly.

I thought Demps might have had his best game as a Texan. He really stepped up on some 3rd down tackles. I do think we could use some more speed there but they are at worst serviceable for now.

I thought Demps might have had his best game as a Texan. He really stepped up on some 3rd down tackles. I do think we could use some more speed there but they are at worst serviceable for now.

I don't think this was his best game as a Texan but I think it was his best game this year. It doesn't seem like he's been playing with the same intensity this year as he was playing with last year.

I think he had a cramp. I totally disagree that he's out of position a lot. The fact is, he's always in the screen because he's in position. Often in the past, I would be left wondering where the safeties are at. 2 weeks in a row that's not the case- he's been in on the play. He's given up some plays but always in a very tight window.

He looked silly on the sideline trying to tackle Cobbs but that's one of 20 plays that he was in on.

I agree...I don't think he was out of position a lot....what I did notice was that he seems to over-pursue quite often. I noticed him flying in to make a play after he read the play correctly....only to over-pursue and out-run the play.

Either way, he has shown more in a couple of weeks than our previous safeties have shown in years. I think over-running a play is something that just comes w/ adjusting to the game and he should show improvement the more reps he gets.

Back