Safeties

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by drewmar74, Oct 7, 2008.

1. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

So, Barber tweaked his hammy and may not be able to go next weekend.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6043664.html

Demps might be able to go, but its still up in the air.

We'd start the game with what - Harrison, Demps (maybe), and Ferguson? Is there another safety on the roster or PS?

Also, can anyone comment on the play of our safeties (in general or as individuals) during Sunday's game? When you're watching on TV, it becomes very difficult to catch nuances like that because you only get to see so little of the field. I'm curious to see if the loss of Brown caused an improvement, decline, or no change in our safety play.

2. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Eugene Wilson got playing time against the Colts.

drewmar74 likes this.
  3. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Ah yes.

I remember seeing him in on some plays.

I guess where I'm going with this is that even without both of our starting safeties, safety play in general didn't appear any different. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

All of our safeties are SS/FS tweeners, anyway, because Richard Smith likes it that way; so, I don't really worry much which ones are going to play.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

first Dunta can't come back any too soon. I hope, that Kubiak/Smith realize Dunta can become a playmaking FS. They have worked really hard this off season to address cornerback position & even without Robinson I like what I've seen from this group as a whole. This is a complex issue exacerbated not only with Dunta Robinsons severe injury but also his contract year. So there are risks on both sides but good faith/sense will prevail. We should all know more in about three/four weeks :)

Until then Nick Ferguson should remain the starting FS. Demps has lost a step, serviceable until Barber (who is banged up) can beat him out I'm hoping by next training camp. Brandon Harrison plays smart but is not aggressive, also has been nicked up so his play has been soft compared to elite safeties, while he does flash potential I'm not convinced he is the long term answear? Eugene Wilson is quality depth.

By inserting Dunta @ FS the Texans add a playmaker to the secondary. In next years draft a 1st or 2nd rd. pick would be appropriate :twocents:

6. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Do we know what week Dunta is coming back yet?

7. beerlover

week 7

8. beerlover

Texans vs. Bengals

9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I don't know if Dunta will be back week 7. He'll be healthy enough - but part of being on the PUP is that you're not allowed to practice with the team - so I assume he's going to have to get a lot of good practices in before he'll be activated.

But um.... maybe Dunta without practice is still better than what we have, lol.

10. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

first game back he gets to punch ocho cinco in the face... lucky bastard.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

As long as his neck will turn his head we'll be ok. LOL

Reeves would probably be one of the better CB's in the league if he'd just turn his damn head to find the ball. A majority of the time he doesn't even try to locate the ball.

Hell, maybe he's trying to freak the WR's out by giving them the evil eye or something. :thinking:

12. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

This is speculation on our part. As much as we'd like him to be ready to play, we don't know that he is. We should temper our expectations accordingly.

13. Polo

Polo Guest

Poor instincts and poor ball skills...Also not very physical...Actually I'd describe him as timid...

14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Demps hasnt really lost a step, he didnt have it. He is more of a SS anyway. Best case is Wilson at FS, Demps FS, with Fergie and Harrison spelling them. I felt our saftey play was the best it has been in a while. I dont know if thats good or bad...

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I've actually been really really impressed with Reeves' coverage skills. He blankets the receiver and is always doing good with coverage. But time after time the WR makes the tough catch. As you said the thing Reeves needs to improve on is locating the ball- right now he doesn't even attempt to locate it. If he could just get a hand up when the WR is looking, he'd havemore success. I really really hope this can be taught to him throughout the year because if he can learn that, he'll be great.

on to safety... gawd do I want a ball hawk. I like our CB's. If we could just get a pass rusher, a playmaking OLB, and a Safety that can cover: we would be a really really really good defense. I know we can't solve everything in one offseason but we've been working on this Def. for a while. I think we're so close to having a great defense.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Improved saftey play would go a long way to fixing our D. That and upgrades at OLB.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Did Diles and Greenwood switch sides of the field or something? Greenwood is suddenly getting no tackles, and Diles, who replaced whoever we had at SAM last year, is racking them up

I think my order of preference for draft day on defense is:
    1. Safety - A truly great safety is a force against the run and the pass. And to top it all off, top prospect safeties always seem to pan out, and they are usually ready in year 1. There aren't nearly as many busts at Safety in the 1st round than there are on other positions (IMO)

2. OLB - I actually really like Diles and Ryans, and think one more LB would make the trio complete.

3. DL - Best available I guess. I think our luck with the DL speaks for itself. Other than MW, I don't think we've had much success. I hope they don't use their 1st on a DL this year

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I really like your thinking. I could definitely go for the safety like (Moore, Mays, etc. ) in the 1st. An SEC linebacker in the second, and a edge rusher in the 3rd!

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Heck, many times, if Reeves would just jump when the receiver is ovbiously looking at a pass coming in, the ball would hit him in the back and fall to the ground. It's like he thinks his job is just to be as close to the receiver as possible when he catches it.

20. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Diles has not impressed me. Too many missed tackles and he is slow to get out to the flat.