Sad Ryan Moats Incident with Cop

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by will742, Mar 26, 2009.

1. will742

will742 Nukkkk

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/032609dnmetcopstop.3e9c080.html

There's a video of the incident as well.

The whole situation itself is very sad. :dontknowa

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Unfortunate situation for everyone. Sad.

3. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Just another prick hiding behind his badge. What an a$$.

Topher likes this.
  4. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Three words come to mind here: Protect and SERVE. Looks like Farva here could use a little more than Farva treatment. Maybe like, at least having to re-up on his training courses. This is dispicable. I applaud Moats for having a cool head in such a situation, can't say I would've done the same.

6. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

I could almost where the cop could think Moats was lying to him. they probably get stories like that all the time. They can't let everyone go who says they have an emergency.

But this guy pulled Moats over right outside of the E.R. What an ignorant guy to be given the right to uphold the law.

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

bolded part - ain't that the truth!

8. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I got a ticket about 6 months ago for rolling through a stop sign one block away from my home. There was a SUV that was putting fliers in peoples mailboxes that was stopped short of the sign and I went around him. When I tried explaining my side of the story, this coksucker threatened to arrest me and bring me to jail.

95% of the time, I side with police in any debates involving their job performance, but there are real idiots out there who wear a badge, and unfortunately they get the headlines.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I saw this last night on KHOU. Sad, just plain sad. Even the nurse runs out there and says "she's dying right now". It wasn't before another police officer (plano pd) that came over and said to the other cop "you really should let him go, the nurse said she's dying as we speak".

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

To me it is most of them.

11. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Wow, I would have lost it.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Further proof that Dallas sucks.

13. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Cop says "Let me see your driver's license."

Moats says "You really want to go through this right now?"

Then the cop says "You ran a red light."

Moats says "My mother is dying right now!"

The cop replies "That doesn't constitute running a red light."

AMAZING!!

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Sounds as if he knew the guy played in the NFL and felt like he could harass the dude or threaten him in any case.

Either way, it's cases like these that tell me these guys have a quota to meet even though authorities say other wise.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I saw that last night on 13.
    Very sorry-azz performance by the cop in N.Texas.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yes but you have no idea what you're talking about so I don't put much stock in what you say on this subject (sorry, we just disagree bigtime on cops and what they're about). It is certainly not "most of them" and if this has been your experience I'd reflect on what you're doing that's attracting police officers who consistently treat you this way. One is entirely possible. More than one could happen I admit. "most of them" is a trend and I know too many officers to agree that most of them are like this.

Eddie Van Halen says David Lee Roth is an ass and is out of the band.
    Eddie Van Halen says Sammy Hagar is an ass and is out of the band.
    Eddie Van Halen says Gary Cherone isn't working out and is out the band.

Maybe the problem is Eddie Van Halen?

Sorry, I digress.

This officer was wrong. He had a problem with understanding his job description. He kept referring to Moats "attitude" and that kind of approach to law enforcement drives me up the wall. Police aren't in the "attitude adjustment business" and they need to understand that. I don't have to have a good attitude. I just have to comply which Moats appeared to be doing. There's no room in law enforcement as it is practiced in this country for a black and white approach to every situation. Every incident is different and lazy officers who forget this have lost sight of what they're supposed to be doing and why they're doing it. It's the same mindless laziness that you see in three strikes rules and zero tolerance policies. Make a rule (whether it is effective and makes sense or not) and then just follow it without taking anything else into account because it's easier than thinking through a situation and determining what you should do. Instead set things up where you are compelled to do "x" and then pretend it's out of your hands.

I'd talk to a lawyer if I were in his shoes.

jerek, bckey, BigBull17 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

This reminds me of a highly publicized incident here in Austin last year where a Hays County police officer stopped a car on I-35 and detained the driver for fifteen or twenty minutes. The driver was stopped because he was driving at a very high speed and kinda swerving, but the reason was his puppy was dying in the car and he was trying to get him to an emergency vet. The cop was obviously justified in pulling him over and giving him a ticket, but the dash video showed that he handled the situation heartlessly and practically mocked the driver, who was absolutely freaking out on the side of the road. The driver was in the wrong and put the public at risk, but the police officers should've handled the situation with greater care. Their behavior was sickening. At one point the cop tells him, "hey you can just get another dog."

Yes, the dog died.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is how I feel

The federal government isn't giving the state the money that it used to and the state & city officials have decided to make up the revenue by writing more tickets. Everybody gets a ticket if they get stopped now seems to be the theme.

This leads to poor judgement by some of the cops that suffer from the Napolean complex.

Bottom line is that cops that use poor judgement like this one should be fired but he probably wont be fired.

I applaud Moats because I probably would have been taken to jail if i was in his shoes.

The cops have forgotten about their duty is to PROTECT & SERVE and now it appears that all they are are revenue collectors for th city/ state.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  19. Polo

Polo Guest

I have to agree with Herv on this one.

As much as I dislike the sight of Police Officers, I know that a lot of them just want to go to work and do their job, and go home.

My dad is a police officer and he's pretty much been one since a little before I was born. I've met a ton of officers that were friends of his, and they all seem to be regular people. I've been pulled over by officers that I thought were a tad racist...I've been pulled over by officers that I felt were just using their badge as a show of power...

With all that said, I've also come across several officers that weren't bad at all to deal with. At the end of the day they are humans too, and something that I learned from my dad is that one of the officers primary thoughts is safety for themselves. I've learned that if you show an officer you pose no threat and comply with what they are asking then you most times you won't have trouble.

20. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Sadly, it not just in Dallas.