Ryans, our Vilma?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pittbull, Jun 12, 2006.

1. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

WIth all the talk about Ryans having the intell to go with the athletic ability, could he be the steal of the draft? It's my thoughts that he will. Ryans will start right away, and with Smith's new attacking defense, he will allow this guy to run all over the filed and do what he does best, but with intelligent control. This alone will add to the Texans defense. If the front four is able to add any push, the front seven as a whole could be explosive.:poker:

2. HoustonTexans

HoustonTexans Rookie

I'd rather him be our Lofa Tutupa (or however you spell his last name). But Vilma is good enough for me.

3. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Tatupa, Thurman, Vilma, hell anyone young and good will work for me!!

4. Farough

Farough Site Contributor

Right now, Vilma since Ryans hasnt proven anything in the NFL yet.

5. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

I don't know how much old school either Vilma or Tatupa has in em', but "the word" is Ryans has it. I can't wait to see him and Mario hit the feild!:twocents:

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

If it wasn't such a deep draft, Ryans would have went in the top 20. We got a deal and a steal with this kid. I'm stoked about him being here, and word from camp is that he's got the goods and has the drive to make them better. I hope he turns out to be a franchise LB for us.

7. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Let's play mystery comparison. Guess who I am talking about.....

Mystery Player
    Linebacker 6-0, 230

Mystery Player, was a second-round draft pick of the ___________ in the ____ NFL Draft and the 38th player selected overall. The only college junior to be selected to the All-___ Team of the 19__s, Mystery Player earned All-America honors in both his junior and senior years at _____, where he averaged 15 tackles per game and established a team record with 232 tackles in 19__

Mystery player was said to be too small to play linebacker, but that he worked hard to make the most of his abilities.

Vilma, schmilma, I can dream, can't I?

8. dannyboy

dannyboy Rookie

Mr. Singletary

[​IMG]

9. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Ding ding ding.

I hate to even think that sort of thing because it is a jinx, but from most reports he seems to be one of those overachieving types. Overachieving not meaning that he doesn't have talent, but overachieving in that whatever talents he has, he tries to maximize them.

10. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

good call on singletary

11. David's Busted Carr

David's Busted Carr Veteran

I still remember on draft day that when our 2nd round pick was up it took about 30 seconds for them to make the announcement of Demeco Ryans.

Since teams usually take every last minute to make their decision, this proves how excited and shocked our staff must have been to get this guy!

Hard worker, INTELLIGENT, productive, sounds like a winner to me! His intelligence should allow him to be a vocal leader and field general, something this team has desperately needed since Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn left!

With Demeco, Mario, & Dunta we've got 3 future stars to anchor our defense at every level!

12. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

I saw the kid at Texans Access day. He's not as small as people think. By NFL terms maybe, but not in terms of the man. Strong upper body, fast as lightning and I think he may end up panning out better for us than Mario. It's often easier for a smart LB to make the transition to the NFL, than linemen. Many of those guys fail at the next level. DONT GET ME WRONG. I still think Mario is going to be a stud for us, but Ryans will make the difference in the future. Think about it.......Mario up front, Ryans in the middle, Robinson on the hot corner, if we could only get that coveted safety......?....lol:francis:

13. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Stop it. Just stop it. The season is too far away. You guys keep putting morsels of hope in front of me. I am like a starving dog and people keep waving a big ol' Tbone at me. It is starting to look like we may have a TEAM with COACHES this year that can excite fans. And a win here and there will be like ice cream on the cake.:redtowel:

14. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Get ready for some ice cream then...:yahoo: :yahoo: :redtowel:

15. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

We will wreck this year! RYANS btw...but I like vilma too!

16. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

I dont think that Ryans can be compared fairly to Vilma athleticly but I think intelligence and instincts Ryans may have the edge on him..

I believe that Vilma clocked in the high 4.4s and the very low 4.5s when he ran at the combine.. and Ryans clocks mid 4.6s to low 4.7s.

While straight line speed doesnt mean nearly as much for the front 7 positions. Its a noticeable difference.. But nevertheless I'm very excited to have DeMeco hear in Houston and I expect big things out of this guy even if he is a rookie.. :hunter:

17. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Ryans anchored and led a Bama defense that was dominant in the SEC the past few years. The Bama defensive squad almost singlehandedly pulled a BCS bid out of nowhere. That shows heart, desire, and the indomitable will to get it done in the face of adversity (team with no offense). Hopefully he can transplant his heart into this defense, because last year they were severely lacking in that department.

In response to a previous poster, I thought that was classic when the Texans practically sprinted to the podium to draft Ryans. Obviously, the Texans love the guy, so I imagine he will have a shot at starting from Day One. Here is to success and healthy toes. Cheers.

:homer:

doug from the woodlands

18. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Heck I would have sprinted to that podium too... :o)

This guy should have gone first round in my book.. and if he's still there in a 2nd. (Chants) S-T-E-A-L.. STEAL STEAL STEAL!!

19. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

This is what exites me. Ryans was a leader on a dominant defense in a conference that has a tremendous reputation for "D". The more I read about Ryans the more I like him.

20. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

I can't wait for this defence to hit the field. On paper it is frighting. Just a little something to think about is the fact that if mario can draw double teams up front this allows LB to take their shots.Ryans and the rest of the crew can have a field day in the backfield.By the way Ryans timed the 40 in 4.70 but i dont think it matters much.He plays smart from everything i've read about him. He was a steal in the sec. round. Hope the coaches use him alot in preseason so he can get ready for the speed of the next level.