Ryan Moats waived

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by J_R, Jun 10, 2010.

1. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

McClain_on_NFL

Texans waived RB Ryan Moats today. Coach Gary Kubiak said last week a back would be cut before training camp.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Well, at least it gives him a good chance to find a job with another team. He didn't really have much of a shot here. I would not be surprised to see Henry cut at the end of camp.

3. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Damn I really liked Moats, I wonder how Jermiah Johnson is looking.

Foster
    Tate
    Slaton
    Johnson (PS?)

4. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

Youngest. RB. Corps. Ever.... and. CBs....

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

YES!....THANK GOD!

Seriously, I never ever understood what people saw in him. There are backs sitting on the waiver wire during every season that could give you what a Ryan Moats could give you. (which isn't much at all)

When you have a "Ryan Moats" on your roster it means you need ALOT of help and depth at the RB position. I'm glad to see him go, it means we're finally moving in the right direction.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Not surprised by Moats leaving early, I kind of expected it with Foster coming on like he has.

7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

My first thought was "wow they see more in Jeremiah Johnson than Ryan Moats." Not that I thought Moats was anything special but its still surprising to see that an undrafted guy missing his rookie season coming off of major surgery would beat out a guy who rushed for 100+ yards and 3 tds in a game the previous season.

8. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

ughhhhhhh

9. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Steve Slaton
    Ben Tate
    Arian Foster
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Chris Henry

10. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I thought for sure that Henry would be cut before Moats. Interesting, I guess they like what they see in him thus far, and think they can get his athleticism to come through in game action.

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Or maybe they'd rather roll with a unknown commodity than a guy who is a below average backup in today's NFL.

Moats was absolutely nothing special and has very, VERY little upside.

In the NFL, to be successful and have legit value, you either need to be big and physical, or have decent size and decent speed, with great vision, or be small and very fast.

Moats had none of those 3 makeups. Like I said last offseason.....If Moats is on this final roster, that's not good news for Texans' fans.

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I think you are undervaluing Moats. He is a capable back-up, in my opinion. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry behind a very lackluster line. Sure he may not be very flashy, or have upside, but he can be plugged in and the offense wont crumble.

13. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Sucks that he fumbled on the two yard line last year vs the colts : I

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

LOL, that last sentence doesn't constitute a good backup in today's league.

Texan fans overvalued Moats......look around at other teams in this league and look at what they roll with for depth. We need to get to the point where a "Ryan Moats" has no place on this roster. (and hopefully we did this offseason)

Any capable back who won't fall on his face when handed the ball can come into this offense and it won't crumble. (that isn't saying much at all) WE HAVE THE BEST PASSING OFFENSE IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Teams aren't exactly zeroing in on our running game.....I mean it's not like we're the Tenn Titans here. Last season our starter sucked balls and Moats had Chris Brown and a UDFA rookie to compete with. Guess what..he still couldn't take advantage, because he isn't nearly as good or valuable as some people on this site thought/think he was.

Oh well, now he's off the roster and we can give a young guy a chance (which I'm really excited about).....young guys who haven't had a shot yet, atleast bring something new to the table and have more upside.

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

The surprise for me here is that they kept Henry over Moats. I wonder just what they see in ol Chris Henry.

16. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

His huge game against Buffalo and the splash it made in fantasy leagues is the real reason this is being discussed. I personally thought Johnson would be waived, but this doesn't surprise me either.

A friend of mine bartended in the LSU area years ago and said that Moats is the nicest guy in the world. Too bad he couldn't make the cut.

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

As I mentioned before, I think they cut Moats this early so he could find another team. Henry is camp fodder and will be cut at the end of camp. JJ probably goes to the PS.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Just a question here.....but "WHO" didn't run wild on the Bills last season? They were god awful last season.

Don't get me wrong...I have nothing personal against Moats and everything I've read about the dude said he was a GREAT GUY and I really felt for him when he ran into that moron cop up in Dallas, but being a great class act has little to do with securing a roster spot on a good team (which hopefully is what we'll be next season)

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Maybe JJ will have a good camp and make the choice a hard one.

20. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

like others, im surprised they sent him packing before Johnson & especially henry. im guessing they're looking further down the road (probably only keeping foster, slaton & tate on the 53) and practice squad eligibility factored into the decision.

moats shouldnt be that big a loss but he helped us win the bills game last year so thanks for that