Ryan Grice-Mullins

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

2. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Love his speed, and he has nice hands to boot.

I wonder if he's done any returns ?

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

donno but everyone is looking at what the Patriots did with the smallish but electric Wes Welker. The Patriots forced teams to keep 3CB's on the field or there was usually an unstoppable short pass to Welker in the open field running with a player that needs help from either the sideline or another defender to keep up. The Rams taking Donnie Avery points to the Rams playing Avery like the Pats used Welker last season. Earnest Givins would be great for this role. We probably see Slaton used in the slot some.

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Sure hope he's good enough to see the field some. I'd love to see some reverses or such with Jacoby, Slaton, and this kid!

5. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

looks like he has some good hands, but he needs to protect the ball a little better at the pro level. he will be in a tough fight for the 5th spot.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

Frankly, if I were an undrafted free agent wide receiver, this would be one of the teams I'd avoid. It's going to be hard to make this team as a wideout.

7. adam

adam Guero

Indeed. Johnson, Walter, and Davis are going to be the top three. Period. This leaves Grice-Mullins to compete with Jones and Anderson for the number four spot. Given what little I've seen, I think he could pull it off. Jones is proving to be inconsistent and Anderson, from what I can tell, has yet to impress anyone on the coaching staff.

8. The Pencil Neck

Actually, the coaching staff has been effusive in its praise of David Anderson and Harry Williams (who didn't make the team.)

Jacoby has to step up. He was doing fine until that injury against the Colts in the 3rd game of the season. He was brought back too quickly and really wasn't ready for the Titans game and got re-injured. He showed a couple of flashes late in the season with one or two good catches. I hope he gets it back together.

9. adam

adam Guero

Well, if he's impressing the coaching staff to the same extent as a guy who didn't make the team, then I would say he is not on the right track. ;)

Agreed. He was doing a fine job, not a particularly great job, but a good enough job. One problem Jones has going for him these days is that he's being overwhelming outshined in his area of strength (special teams) by another wide receiver (Davis). If he does not step up and prove his worth in training camp and pre-season, I could see him getting bumped to the practice squad.

10. Polo

Polo Guest

I'm a big David Anderson fan, but this kid brings something David Anderson doesn't....

I think the fifth WR spot will come down to those two...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this kid makes the team...

11. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

one of the videos to the right side of the one that Vinny provided the link to, is of Hawaii's Pro Day workout.

at the 25 second mark, it flashed Grice-Mullins 40 time as 4.33. if accurate, that is pretty darn fast in my book.

12. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

Link

13. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Excerpt from an email I received today from a friend in the Seattle area:

I told him that he sounded just like David Andersen. WR5 may have some competition. Most important, special teams skills comes into play ...

14. Polo

Polo Guest

Honestly I'm hoping we carry 6 wideouts...

15. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I watched a TON of Grice-Mullins over the last two seasons. I'm a BIG Hawaii and June Jones fan here. I love the razzle and dazzle of the ariel attacks of Texas Tech and Hawaii. I have also met him and a few others on the team several times when I was in Honolulu (I've been several times over the last three years).

Grice-Mullins is SMALL. Very small. They have him listed at 5-11? I call bull on that. The guy appeared to be a lot smaller than that when I met him. I don't know how tall he is but there's no way he's 5'11. I'm 5'6 and the man barely stands taller than me. I also know that I weight more than him. I'm at about 190-200. He's very bony. Very strong but bony. I really don't see him as of being a Wes Welker type at all. I really hope he is though. He really seemed to be a real nice guy. Real LAIIIIIIDDDDDD back. He really got accustomed to being in Hawaii with the all the alohas and mahalos. I also think he has the coolest looking dreadlocks I've ever seen.

Out of that stat crazy team, I see Jason Rivers maybe making it in the NFL. Maybe Bess as a Welker type but not Grice-Mullins.

16. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

He measured 5'10" 187 at the combine (kind of hard to fool those guys) and about the same at his Pro Day a few weeks ago:

NFL | Grice-Mullen works out at Pro Day
    Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:14:56 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports University of Hawaii WR Ryan Grice-Mullen worked out at a Pro Day in California Wednesday, April 2. Grice-Mullen ran a 4.36 40-yard dash, had a 31 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot 2-inch long jump. He measured in at 5-foot-10 3/8 and 189 pounds.

Gary Wellman with dreads.

17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Sweet. I've only found him listed at 5'11 on the Warriors report which I frequent (like I said, I'm a HUGE Hawaii fan!). Also says he's 180. I still thought he would have been smaller than that but I guess 5'10 and 189 should be sufficent enough for him to bulk up on but he's already added nine pounds for the draft. Can't bulk up too much more now can he? He's really small.

I hope he makes it though. Really do. He's something else to watch!

18. Hook'er

Hook'er Veteran

Sounds like the next Steve Smith.

19. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

That's what I was think as well.

20. The Pencil Neck

Actually, I always thought it was kinda cute when Dayne or Walker (or Leach for that matter) split out wide. Like that was scaring anyone.

But if we put Slaton out there outside of Andre?

Watchagonnado?