Russell news

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Silver Oak, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

"strongest arms ever"? Thats a pretty heavy endorsement!

JaMarcus Russell's decision to impact draft

LSU junior quarterback JaMarcus Russell is expected to be a first round selection should he enter the NFL draft. He has yet to give any indication on what his decision will be, but teams, players, and agents are all anxious to learn if the 6'-6" QB with a cannon for an arm will go pro. If he does, it will change the make up of the entire top of the draft.

The number one overall pick will lose some of it's value as Brady Quinn won't be the only elite QB in the draft. Teams won't want to give up as much to move into the first pick.

Brady Quinn will have some competition for the first QB taken. Most scouts still rank Quinn higher then Russell right now. However, that could change after Russell displays his skills for scouts during the combine and workouts. Some say Russell has one of the strongest arms to ever play the game.

Troy Smith might fall to the second round. The Smith bandwagon has been picking up steam and many consider him a first rounder. That could change with both Quinn and Russell expected to go higher then him.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2006/12/jamarcus-russells-decision-to-impact.html

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've been saying for weeks that Russell will shoot up the boards when it is all said and done....he is a stud and a very impressive prospect. He can throw the ball the length of the field....has a huge arm

3. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

lead foot version of michael vick?

I mean great he has a strong arm but is he accurate? does he have any touch?

4. Vinny

why? because he is black? Why does everyone compare every black QB to Michael Vick? They are not even remotely the same type body or QB.

5. Texas_Thrill

lol, vinny it has NOTHING to do with the fact he's black TRUST me. if you recall when vick came out though they said the same thing about his arm. for my money vick has the strongest arm in the NFL. one of the strongest ever really but his accuracy has plagued him. I'm asking if the same is TRUE of Russell? It was not a knock on the kid just a question.

6. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I think he meant it as a question, not a race remark.

And to answer the earlier question, it looks like he has good accuracy. I have not seen alot, but he seemed to have some touch.

7. Vinny

okie dokie....I just see that too much, and I knee-jerked it...I'm sure you were commenting on arm strength so I gotcha.

8. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

Russell has a 68% completion percentage. his only flaw is when lsu is down and they need to come back he tries to force it to much, but he has gotten alot better though.

9. Texas_Thrill

thank you. from what i recall these days everyone is comparing troy smith to drew brees.

10. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

As opposed to David Carr, who smiles and looks pretty for the cameras in that situation.

11. Texas_Thrill

who will LSU be playing in their bowl game?

also given that kubes says he likes a more mobile qb does Russell fit in here?

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like Russell...... only watched three or four games though.

If the Texans Draft Russell..... I'm sure we'd be called idiots for a long time.... passing on Vince/Lienart/Cutler/Brees & all.....

If we don't draft Russell...... I'm sure we'd be called idiots for a long time..... passin on Vince/Lienart/Cutler/Brees & all....

13. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

THey play Notre Dame, so he should get good stats.lol he is actually very mobile and extremely hard to bring down. he is bigger than everyone on defense except the DT. so thats say alot. i remember in the Tennesee game the DE came and hit him as hard as he could and Russell didnt even bugde.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't think mobile is the right word. He reminds me of Culpepper... he's a big guy, kinda hard to bring down.... and he's not going to stand there and let you tackle him.

He'll never lead the league for rushing yards by a QB. but he's elusive, like Romo, Montana, Elway..... I think.

Nothing like Vince, who I think is more like McNabb(depending on his accuracy).

15. Vinny

He has Ben Roethlisberger type movement and mobility in the pocket. He looks good in the pocket and seems to have a good feel for playing in the pocket and a big tough guy who isn't easy to bring down. He isn't as good a runner as Culpepper was in his prime, but he isn't a Leftwich concrete shoes type either. His coaches claim he is smart enough and understands the game well enough to be a future coach if he wanted to be...so that's a plus.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4760501804729330481&q=JaMarcus+Russell

Here he is avoiding a sack and chunking the ball downfield off his back foot, off balance halfway down the field (from his 7 to the opposing teams 37 yard line)....he is still a bit raw but he is a hell of a prospect.

16. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

The guy is the total opposite of David Carr......we'd go from dinking and dunking to a guy who can throw a 100 yards.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

You're right Vinny, he's much closer to Big Ben than Dante...... much closer.

David Carr used to do that at one time as well.

18. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

One thing Russel does that Carr doesnt. is Russel isnt scared to throw the ball down field.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If you were around in 2002, & 2003, you'd know David wasn't always scared to throw the ball down field.... he throws a pretty deep ball. It's just been a while since we've seen it.

20. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

yea thats true