Russ Grimm will be the Texans next coach

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gjmac2, Oct 11, 2005.

1. gjmac2

gjmac2 Veteran

Mark it down.................

Russ Grimm will be the next coach of the Houston Texans.

1. He is a Casserly guy (former member of the "Hogs" O-line from Washington)

2. He has overseen one of the best offensive line units in the NFL over the last few years (Pittsburgh)

Here is his bio from www.steelers.com:

Russ Grimm is in his fourth season as the Steelers offensive line coach. He was given the additional title of Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach in January 2004.

Grimm, 44, joined the Steelers Jan. 10, 2000 as only the second offensive line coach in Bill Cowher’s 10 seasons and was instrumental in developing one of the most-improved areas on the team in 2001. Grimm spent the previous 19 years as a player and a coach with the Washington Redskins.

Grimm has molded an offensive front that is considered one of the best in the NFL. Among the group are guard Alan Faneca, who earned All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors for a second consecutive season in 2002, and center Jeff Hartings, who developed in one of the best in the NFL after just two seasoons there. Grimm also has tutored three-year offensive tackle Marvel Smith, who blossomed into a consistent tackle, guard Kendall Simmons, who had an outstanding rookie season in 2002—earning a starting role at right guard in Week 2—and has helped developed reserve linemen tackles Oliver Ross and Mathias Nkwenti, guard Keydrick Vincent, and center Chukky Okobi.

Remember, you heard it here first.

:texflag:

2. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

... in 2012 when Capers retires.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

houstonprofootball.com is saying that Gary Kubiak "is going to be near the top of the list of candidates to succeed Capers."

Cover page.

4. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

No offense but I haven't heard of many line coaches being offered the job to go straight to head coach, maybe I am wrong. Now hire Kubiak as HC and Grimm as our OC, I'll take it.

5. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Both might be good candidates - but if it were me I would certainly lean more towards Kubiak being hes a proven SB Offensive Coordinator - not just a line coach. I think he could fidn a decent line coach and make it work for him in his offense.

I'm not so sure Grimm has that experience nor could he compete on the same level as Kubiak with offense. I grant you he would be a good candidate for a job maybe as OC, but not as the Head Coach.

6. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Wasnt Mike Tice the OL coach in Minny before getting the HC job?

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

He was assistant head coach/offesive line coach the season before he was promoted to head coach.

8. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

That shouldn't matter if Casserly is gone too and lets all pray that he is. Also, Grimm was part of the good Redskins teams that Bobby Bethard put together, not the horrible Redskins teams that Casserly put together. It gets annoying when everyone thinks Casserly put all those Skins Super Bowl teams together. Casserly is responsible for the Heather Shuler, Desmond Howard Redskins teams.

9. gjmac2

gjmac2 Veteran

Let's be clear, I am not implying that Casserly built the great Redskins teams, but he was the assistant GM during those years, and was thus involved with the FO operations of those teams.

Also, let's be straight about who gets credit for building those Redskins teams. I think everyone would be mistaken to think that Bobby Beatherd built those teams, and Joe Gibbs just coached them. Gibbs, IMO, had alot to do with that teams success. Example? Anyone remember Jay Schroeder? How about Mark Rypien? Doug Williams?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Bobby Beartherd the GM at San Diego who made the trade for Ryan Leaf?

My point is that Grimm is really being talked about in the NFL circles. I get my info from none other than John McClain, who has mentioned Grimm twice that I know of on 610 sports. McClain knows his stuff.

Plus, Kubiak was the hot prospect 4 years ago. I have nothing against Kubiak, but if he's so great, why hasn't he gotten a HC job in the league yet?

10. lucky13

lucky13 Guest

there are a lot of aggies lying about kubiak in a lot of threads now.

kubiak ONCE declined to be interviewed for a HC position in houston because he wanted to succeed dan reeves at denver. denver went with shanahan instead.

kubiak has never turned down an offer to be a HC, as was claimed in another thread- that is so ridiculous it is embarassing.

11. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

No one other than Ryan Leaf is to blame for Ryan Leaf busting. Plenty of blame can be passed around if one feels Carr is a bust.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Actually, according to Richard Justice of the Chronicle, Casserly was responsible for drafting eight of the defensive starters for the last Redskins Super Bowl team, and Mark Schlereth to boot.

13. throwANDREtheBALL

throwANDREtheBALL Veteran

BIG DEAL!!!

The last time the Redskins won the superbowl, I had a pet dinosaur.

Casserly's time has come and gone. I vote for a new GM

And I don't want Grimm as HC. OC....maybe. Offensive Line Coach, definitely.

Kubiak is on my top 3 HC list.

And I vote Gregg Williams or Wade Phillips for DC.

14. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I could be wrong but i think Art Shell was only a O-Line coach before getting promoted to Head Coach of the Radiers.

15. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

No, you're right.

16. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

His name is Brad Childress, and he just signed a new deal this year with the Eagles.

17. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Most coaches are given permission to seek a coaching position at a higher level than they currently possess. If Childress was offered a HC position I'm sure he could take it if he wanted. The contract can and will be broken as long as the team allows.

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

you people need to realize something: Pendry used to be the line coach in denver under Kubiak. Keep Pendry as the OL coach if we get Kubiak. They run the same system and have had success in the past together.

19. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Pendry never worked in Denver.

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

look right now it doesn't matter to speculate who the next head coach is gonna be...we have a pretty long list of names to pick from...mostly made up of offensive and defensive coordinators...but let's get one thing clear if you think there is a head coach out there that can take on the GM duties as well you're just plain wrong...if you fire casserly who would you get to GM the team..that's the question to ask