Running Game?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansSeminole, Sep 23, 2007.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

If Ahman Green stays out or is hampered by injury and Ron Dayne is hampered as well, our running game is looking pretty weak. We desperately need to get a running back...get Wali Lundy back or something. 40 yards rushing against the Colts defense is not going to cut it.

2. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

The Colts did not play Cover-2 in the beginning, they were playing an 8 man box. They didn't go to Cover-2 until they were up by a couple of touchdowns.

They still need to be able to run, and I don't think Gado is the special kind of runner that can deal with that.

Rick Smith is going to be plenty this week plugging lots of holes.

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I would be calling Norv Turner to see about Michael Turner, if it takes next years #1 pick to get him it might be something to think about :hmmm: (no #1 or #2 would suck but it sucks harder to be so close to beating the Colts & not have a healthy, quality back to tote the rock.

Off subject a couple years, did anyone see that redshirt freshman Georgia has @ RB Knowshon Moreno in that OT win last night in Alabama? very impressive, explosive breakaway speed, toughness between the tackles great size 5-10 1/2 208 gonna be a stud.

4. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I doubt that the Texans would give up next year's #1 pick for Turner. They might be able to draft a better RB with that pick next year.

5. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Just to spread the wealth, I don't think the Texans o-line did a very good job of opening up holes for Gado. But they weren't very good about it last year, either. I think the way Green/Dayne are able to create holes is what is really helping out the team, so that any time the Texans are without these two, we can expect to see similar results.

The run game is probably the most important aspect of this team's game philosophy. It sets up everything else. To not have it work (like today) will complicate matters for the Texans.

6. beerlover

nobody comes to mind in next years draft @ the RB position, certainly none that can help now, if Turner was coming out he would project as the #1 RB unless Darren McFadden declares early & he's a top 5 pick.

it all depends on the injury report concerning Green & Dayne of course but with a real dynamic RB threat like Turner the Texans would be a playoff team (picking low to mid 20's). without a healthy, explosive RB they sturggle to .500 which is a shame.

sure could use Chris Taylor about now :cool:

7. jaybird

jaybird Veteran

They didn't... but the boy is slow as all get out as well... Green needs to heal quickly...

I was surprised we didn't go for more screens once he was out... but then we ran one (Forget who with) and he didn't realize he had a blocker in front of him and ran right into a Colt.

8. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Next year's draft is loaded with running backs

Darren McFadden
    Steve Slaton
    Felix Jones
    Ray Rice
    Mike Hart

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

In Kubiak's system, the RB isn't what's important, it's the OL. Obviously the OL hasn't done well in run blocking. We don't need a 1st round pick as a RB, we need the OL to step up and punch the DL in the mouth and open some holes.

So far, the running game has sucked. We can't be a pass-only offense, we need to be able to prove that we have a 100 yd. a game back and so far we haven't done it. Having a decent running game+Matt Schaub+healthy receivers=great offense.

Jameel Cook being our back isn't going to cut it.

10. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

What about that ND player we had during preseason? Where's he at?

11. jaybird

jaybird Veteran

I agree that the OL needs ot be a huge upgrade next year... it's been neglected too long... but with the RBs coming out next year I could see the Texans getting a big time OL in the first and a top tier RB in the second.

12. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Darius Walker, he's on the practice squad.

13. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

We already know our round 2 pick next year. His name is Matt Schaub, and is our starting QB. :)

14. jaybird

jaybird Veteran

LOL.. my bad... fine... get some FA OL and take Hart ;)

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Do you mean with the second that we traded to Atlanta for Matt Schaub?

16. beerlover

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

A few passes caught in stride today(read a little better chemistry) and the Colts would've had to call off the dogs and play the pass. That's where we really missed AJ. I was impressed with JJ and Davis, though. Either one would seem to be an upgrade over Walter, who doesn't seem to get open very often. Sometimes, ya gotta use the pass to set up the run. I would've liked to have seen a trick play or two today to try and burn the over-pursuing Colts D. I'll look for opportunities for that and study the coverages a little harder during the week.

18. beerlover

of your list only Mike Hart is a Senior. I really like him he's smart & a hardworker but he's small, overused, lacks explosion & not 1st rd. material. I mentioned McFadden as underclassman who if declares is a top 5 pick, do you think the Texans are gonna pick in the top 5? top 10? Slaton, Jones & Rice are all underclassman.

19. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I would be shocked if Slaton, Jones, and Rice all didn't declare. The shelf life for running backs are so short and at any moment can end a season (or career with an injury).

20. beerlover

when discussing the next draft scouts/gurus (like Kipper) limit grades to those eliglble for the draft which as of right now is the senior class only. But if you insist on circumventing due process all three are high profile slot backs not the type that pound between the tackles, make one move & run straight downhill :)