Running Back Depth Setting Up Nicely in Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/...paign=Feed:+NFLGridironGab+(NFL+GridIron+Gab)

2. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Its going to be interesting to see who gets the starting job ar running back this upcoming season. I hope Steve Slaton can go back to his old form and perform as he did during his rookie season with Tate sharing the load and Foster as our 3rd-down and goaline back.

3. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Starter or possibly gonna be RBBC. Possibly Foster / Tate splitting and Slaton doing 3rd down back as I think he was originally brought in for?

4. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I would prefer if we had a three headed monster running attack, ala the New York Giants with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Reuban Droughns. That group got 1886 yards on the ground. Jacobs was the main guy and got 1009, Ward was the second at 602, and Droughns was the goal line/3rd down guy with 275.

I would like to see Foster/Tate to start alternative series to keep them fresh then bring in Slaton as a third down back/goal line guy.

5. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

who cares who starts, production by all three is all that matters. a ground game to protect a lead would be nice

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I would love to see Slaton used on slot screens and pitches. Anytime there's a FB on the field, I want to see Foster or Tate behind him. I also wouldn't mind seeing Slaton and Tate/Foster on the field at the same time, with Casey at FB.

Texecutioner likes this.
  7. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't really have a preference as to what roles these guys take at this point. I'd rather just go with the guy who's producing at the moment untill they prove that they excel in certain roles.

If one back is ripping apart a defense, I'd rather just ride the hot hand...It's nice to atleast be talking about that possibility as a Texans fan...

8. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Ya, I want the Texans to be a fantasy football players nightmare. I want production from all three, don't care who starts, just get it done son!

9. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Agree. With the offensive mind set between GK and OC Rick Dennison and all those weapons I don't see why we won't field an offensive unit that every team we play will have to highly respect. Up the middle or over the top, pick your poison.

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That's taking for granted that the RB and TE positions are not mysteriously decimated by the time the early part of the season gets on its way, as has happened too often in the past.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!

12. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Yeah, what he said :texflag:

13. CloakNNNdagger

Yeh, what they both said.:pirate:

14. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

havent looked it up but im 99% sure you're mixing up reuben droughns (has he even been in the league lately?) and ahmad bradshaw but ya thats what id be hopin for too. theyd be nice & fresh for the playoffs then :)

15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

It was Bradshaw indeed.

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Did you know that Reuben Droughns was nicknamed "The Party Starter" while playing for the Browns? I sure didn't.

17. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

I am surprised that Tate is number 3 on the list, I figured that he would be the number 2 guy one way or another.

I hope Foster does well but for some reason I just do not have that much confidence in him.

18. CloakNNNdagger

How much value can one possibly legitamately put into depth charts created pre-training camp? Unless "someone" is hell-bent to force the round pegs into square holes (which we have seen too often in past years), they should mean much of nothing.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Before this past season started, Steve Slaton himself said that he couldn't wait to see what Foster could do in a game because what he would see of him in practice.

20. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

As long as the Texans are a legitimate threat to run the ball at any time, the play action pass will work even better than it did last year without a running game.

And as others said, who cares who starts as long as it's working.