Run block or pass block. Not both

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Oct 2, 2007.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Does it seem to anyone else that our team seems to master one of these each week and let the other fall to the wayside?

Its been like this throughout our history as well. One week we give up 7 sacks and rush for 150 yards, and then you look at a game like last Sunday where we keep Schaub upright all game and can't get anything going on the ground.

I know a lot of it has to do with QB play and the play of our running backs, but I was watching the game pretty closely, and noticed a few things:

1) Schaub had a lot of time to throw on multiple occassions
    2) Dayne had almost nowhere to run

So whats the deal?
    Is it the crazy Bronco-Packer hybrid scheme we run, or is it something else?

2. real

real Guest

Abraham was breathing on Schaubs neck hair all day.

And Schaub was also sacked.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Unfortunately we are still an "Any Given Sunday" type of team, especially with one of the game's best players on the sidelines, our #1 RB out and our special teams juggernauts injured. Throw in the fact that our starting Center was out last week, Leach laid an egg and Sherman was blowinig brain farts into Kubiak's ear hole all day long and you get a near miss situation on the road.

My toes are still tapping as we are in unchartered waters to date as a franchise. :texflag:

4. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

Kubiaks going to build a line, I think Winston is a piece as is Pitts, but everyone else... We will see if Weary is still here or Studdard takes his place at the start of next season. Spencer is still up in the air of coarse.

5. real

real Guest

Maybe Pitts gets the boot and weary stays

6. Rex King

Rex King Veteran

I think it's more coincidence as opposed last year. The o-line did pretty well in both phases the first two games. Against the Falcons, Salaam had a bad day, and we were missing McKinney, who was far superior to Flanagan in run blocking last year.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I hope they finally address the line with a top draft pick and/or good free agent signing (or two).

While Schaub has definitely helped the cause by being a good QB, he can only do so much with what he's given. Our line often reminds me of the Albert Einstein quote about insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think the McKinney/Flannagan thing is part of it. McKinney always seemed much better at run-blocking, and Flannagan better at pass-blocking. Think they'd notice if we switched 'em out, depending on what we want to do? :gun:

I'm sure the inconsistency thing is a huge part of it all too, though.