Rumor: John Clayton guessing that Wade Phillips coming Kubiak staying

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jackie Chiles, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5869776

"But owners aren't going to lock in high-price, high-profile coaches if they have labor uncertainty. If talks between owners and players break down over the next month, you might see the Cowboys stay with Jason Garrett and the Vikings stay with Leslie Frazier. Texans owner Bob McNair could stay with Gary Kubiak by hiring Wade Phillips to coordinate the team's defense. If other owners don't make changes or choose to hire low-priced assistants as head coaches, expect a long labor battle."

Not really great timing coming off a shutout, I know, but seeing a name in print leads me to believe there might be some actual rumblings coming from the Texans that Clayton might have gotten wind of.

Wonder if Phillips would be willing to stick with our 4-3 or if he would implement a 3-4. I think at this point either would suit me.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I just told a buddy last night of my prediction: McNair will keep Kubiak for 2011 and hire Wade as DC.

Wade's Houston roots, Bum as dad, knew Gary as a ball boy for the Oilers, and is a solid DC. The table is set and I just can't see McNair not having dinner at it right now.

3. Dwade

Dwade Veteran

Great, then we can have another coach who failed to get the best out of his talented team (Cowboys)

:wadepalm:

:kubepalm:

4. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

I don't know that we need another "good ole boy" coach on this team. We need a DC with some attitude.

5. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Honestly, I don't care about all that "local boy" shit. Look at where that's gotten us with Kubiak.

Also, I wonder if Kubiak is going to pull a Shanahan. The owner of the Denver Bronco's was tired of have a really great offense but a terrible defense, resulting in constant meltdowns (sound familiar?) and he simply asked Shanahan to switch defensive coordinators. Shanny said no and was fired.

Now, Kubaik isn't as ballsy as Shanahan, but he's certainly as stubborn. Kubiak is going down the exact same path Shanahan did in Denver (after their Super Bowl wins, of course): 8-8, 8-8, 8-8....

Shanahan didn't know jack about defenses, and didn't listen, and that's what got him fired.

As for Wade Phillips, sure, why not. I'd be happier with almost anything than we have now. The problem is, that that move would - yet again - let Kubiak off the hook.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I would like that, and I would not mind going to a 3-4 at all...I think we have a few pieces to do this and I don't think the transition would be as tough as it seems.

I think Mario and smith could both play 3-4 DE and I think Cushing could play OLB in a 3-4. I think Demeco/Sharpton/Diles/Bentley could play the inside and I think Barwin would be a really good fit as the other OLB opposite Cushing. I think Mitchell could be a relief guy at one of the DE spots...

I actually think Mario could be a good NT, but I don't know if he'd be willing to play that role. Maybe on an occasional basis.

Ratliff isn't a big fat guy and he plays the nose pretty effectively so I am not convinced that a DT has to be as big as Wilfork to get the job done. Maybe we could trade or draft a good NT though. 3

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Why would Wade Phillips be a good hire? How would he make this defense better?

I'm not dissing the guy and this isn't a pro-Bush post. I genuinely want to know because right now I think all of us may want change because we're tired of what we have.

If your answer is "he can't be any worse than Bush" then I don't care to read your post. That's funny... it is probably halfway true... that's been played out a thousand times. Phillips is a popular name and would seem great. Could be a great DC but a poor HC. Sure. But why would YOU hire HIM?

8. Rey

Rey Guest

He's been extremely successful as a DC before.

His Cowboys' defenses haven't really been terrible either.

9. Jackie Chiles

Did a little research, here are his defenses the last 6 years according to points per game:

DC
    San Diego 2004: 18.9
    San Diego 2005: 19.5
    San Diego 2006: 19.5

HC
    Dallas 2007: 20.3
    Dallas 2008: 22.8
    Dallas 2009: 15.6

And sacks per game:

2004:29
    2005:46
    2006:61
    2007:46
    2008:59
    2009:42

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

WHOA! That's gotta be a record!!

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. It's a don't shoot the messenger thing, because another year of Kubiak is not something that gives me anything to look forward to.

I can just see McNair working this angle. He's patient like a cat, is loyal to a fault, loves him some Kubiak, marketing the "local boy" shtick - especially with Bum's son - will be too good to pass up, and I think he really believes that Kubiak is the man.

Bush is the sacrificial scapegoat to save Kubiak's butt, and it just makes sense that Wade is the logical step from a marketing standpoint.

And he probably is an improvement over Frank Bush at the end of the day, fwiw.

12. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

I wouldn't mind Wade Phillips as our DC. Heck, I want Wade as our DC! Although not regarded as a top-notch head coach, he's proven to be a very competant DC.

He's similar to Gary Kubiak in a way. Kubiak is a great OC, and most teams will hire him as their OC in a heartbeat. Kubiak the head coach? Not so much...

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Wow I'm surprised by the serious and informative posts guys!! Lol

thanks for the history on him and his D's.

I could really see this as a way McNair could go. Just heard some talk on Phillips about what a respected guy he is.

14. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Was listening to 610 a few minutes ago and they were discussing this. Wouldn't mind at all if we could keep the 4-3.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Thank you for articulating my thoughts. I would rep you, but the Machine is keeping me down.

16. Jackie Chiles

Fwiw I did just hear Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network mention that there are a lot of quality head coaches that would like to work for Bob McNair including Bill Cowher.

17. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

I guess that is the good thing about being super patient and extra loyal. Cowher knows he'll have plenty of time to mold the team exactly how he wants it to.

Any ways onto the topic I like the idea, IMO that is the only way i'll be happy if we keep Kubiak (unless Texans actually sneak in then I don't care) but the Texans should look to getting a experienced accomplished DC and that is Wade Phillips. This rumor sounds more like a guess because of Wade's roots than a "I have sources..." type of thing though.

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

19. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Could he really be any worse than what we have now? Last time he was a DC with San Diego from 04-06 his defense was ranked in the top half of the league all three seasons.

20. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Wouldn't mind this move at all. He's been a pretty successful coordinator in his career. 10X better than Frank Bush.