rumor by mike and mike

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Spoda, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

didn't see anyone else post this but i heard on mike and mike that because the cap will not increase this year the Texans may have to cut dominick davis to fit under...they also went through a huge list of other probable cuts that should come tomorrow....some pretty big names...warrick dunn, will shields etc...

2. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

heard it as well ... chris mcalister, brett favre, ...

3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Not sure why we would have to cut DD to get under the cap when we are allready under and the cap is going up, just not as much as some were counting on. Might have to do with how much we are going to have to pay the number one pick.

By the way, if the CBA doesn't go through IMO it will be MUCH harder to trade out of the number one as teams will have less to spend and MOST of our probable trade partners are already over the cap and are going to have to dump players to get under.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Sounds like Mike and Mike don't have a clue. 1st the cap is going to go up--the question is how much depending on a CBA extension being signed or not. 2nd, prior to yesterday's cuts the Texans were $10 mil or so under the cap. 3rd, cutting DD doesn't free up anything cap wise compared to McKinney or Wiegert--as a matter of fact, I think DD would cost more cap space to cut than to keep this year.

5. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Even if we did have to cut someone, I could name several other guys that should be cut before DD.

6. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

they never got to specifically why davis would have to be cut or i was in shipley's at the time....so not sure why they speculated on him specifically...maybe because we are drafting bush(lil jab at rabid VY fans)...no clue

7. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

they where probably just reading off this list of potential cuts from ESPN.com

i dont know where exactly the link is, but just do some looking.

I think everyone on the Texans has already been cut as over yesterday besides DD

8. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

I don't think the Texans will cut DD. With the way Cass is saying we are going to trade our #1 pick (supposedly), we need DD in that backfield. He's going to be helped out w/ a good OL courtesy of Kubiak.

9. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

If DD is a possible cut, I'm thinking it may have to do with incentives and how they will hit the cap. Otherwise, I don't see why this team will cut DD, given his productivity and Kubiak's comments on him.

10. fball

fball Rookie

One thing I don't understand, since we don't have an extension on the cba, we are supposed to be UNCAPPED, so why are people trying to cut players to get under the cap what cap, how is there a cap if we are going to be uncapped, can someone please explain? :brickwall

11. Wolfiegrrl

Wolfiegrrl Wonder Woman

The salary cap for this year with out the CBA contract extention is said to be at $95 million. If the players and the teams were to agreee on the numbers, the cap could go up to $105 or $110 million. If no one agrees on anything, the 2007 season will be uncapped. :brickwall

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

If we don't have a cap, the owners always get confused and start firing people. Can't you understand anything? :)

13. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

The ESPN story says a DD cut is contingent upon drafting Bush... so yeah, if he's cut tomorrow, either Kubiak wants to get really cheap with the running backs, or they are definitely picking up Bush.

14. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Actually it would be at 92 million, and depending on the percentage changes with the numbers could be as high as 102 million. 95 million is where everybody thinks the number will most likely end up.

15. Frills

Frills Veteran

Or making a push for SA or Edge

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I highly doubt DD will be cut period .... The fact the Texans are already under next seasons projected cap number should seal that deal .... add to that DD just signed his extension on August 6th of last year the deal is not yet a year old.
    I think their angle could be preparing to fit the #1 overall pick in the upcoming draft in under the cap as this pick will likely cost upwards of $8.5 Mill. per year ..... With Bush being the most obvious choice for that pick DD becomes expendable in the eye's of many.

17. fball

fball Rookie

OK then why call it uncapped when there really is a cap and a lower one than if we had the extension, that is just stupid :brickwall

18. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

As long as we don't have to cut Bradford I'll be okay....

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Next year will be capped .... There is no CBA for the 2007 season therefore it would be uncapped ......pending there was no lock-out.

Bradford is an UFA .... If they offer him a new deal Ill be SHOCKED

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

we're not cutting davis...it makes no sense cap wise when it would cost something like 3.2 million to cut him...that's not saving any money that's adding to it...mckinney is supposedly restructuring his deal to stay with the team from the rumor i read on HPF.com and weigert is probably next in line unless we can trade him somewhere like chicago