[Rumor] Bill Parcells interested in...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by PockyAF, Dec 27, 2010.

1. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

coming to the Texans as Team President/GM?

Heard this on 1560 (couldn't tell if it was Lance or the other host). Came from a the host's friend that had a friend with inside info; the friend's friend work for the Dolphins org. (didn't catch what she does though).

Said he wants to come here and run the team, and have Maurice Carthon (Thanks to cdastros) as our HC.

Sounds a bit sketchy, but, according to the host, she was correct before on a recent firing before it hit the mainstream (again didn't catch who it was, I'm on a crappy wifi connection).

Again, I apologize for not getting all the info, and sounding a bit cryptic, but the internet I'm using is all jacked up. Anyways, if anyone else caught this, please fill in the blank. I would like to know who this Maurice follow is.

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. cdastros

cdastros Rookie

maurice carthon is the name. He is assistant head coach with KC.

Señor Stan and PockyAF like this.
  3. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Best move this franchise could make.

4. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Maurice Carthon?

5. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

Yep, that's the guy. Thanks for catching it.

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I heard that this morning too. Can't put too much into a rumor like that, but I would take that combo in a heartbeat over the current dynamic duo FWIW.

7. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

Smith and Kubiack aren't qualified to Manage/Coach a High School Class A Team.

8. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

Dug some info on the dude:

His recent failure as OC in Cleveland is discouraging ("Mo's Gotta Go" movement? wish our fans were that dedicated and came up with clever phrase linked to displeasure with the team's staff), however the fact that Parcells like the guy enough to let him follow him from one coaching destinations to another is something to be encouraged about. It means two things: One, Bill must see something special in him to mentor him. Two, after years and years of knowing the guy, if Parcells would offer him a HC gig, than he must feel that he's ready to be a leader of a NFL team.

Here's a entire coaching tree of Parcells that went on to become a NFL HC, and what their position they coached while under Parcells:

Parcells previous assistant's accumulated records: 465-392

It looks like his offensive guys did real well in their first seasons, and had their team achieving a winning/playoffs season in their first or second year in their team.

What scares me about this rumor is that Maurice is going to be a first-timer at HC, which historically shown (as a Parcells offspring) that it won't end well. We need stability and success to fuse together for once; we can't keep hiring a coach just to fire him 4, or so, years later; even if one of those coach went to the playoffs once out of that 4/5 years.

That's why I'm hoping Cowher is the next guy at the throne. He's the guy that gives us the best chance at having stability in the FO, as well as giving us wins, playoffs appearance, and making us contenders.

*Oh, and if you don't know who's been Cowher's QB during his tenure as the Steelers HC, you guys should go check it out. After that, imagine what he could accomplish with Schaub and this offense.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Is anyone else concerned that there's a pretty easy case to be made that the results Parcells has gotten as HC and/or the top front office guy have clearly declined at every single place he's been when compared to the previous stop? Once is a fluke, twice is a trend, and I don't know exactly what four times is. Do we really want to be the next stop on the "Bill Parcells declining performance tour"?

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I kinda agree with Champion. I'm not really diggin on bringing Parcells in here. I think a lot of the game has passed him by and he's never really been a long term kinda guy since leaving the Giants. Can we depend on Parcells? I don't think so

In the end, I think we're going to be stuck with Kubiak for next season anyway.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Never been a fan of Parcells, but do believe he could get us to the playoffs in the next two years. However, I believe whoever comes in will be able to achieve that in short order.

I hate cronies, smell like cabbage.

12. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I'll take a pass on Parcells.

13. wildroot

wildroot Veteran

I was thinking the same thing. Both Dallas and Miami were both underwhelming stops.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This should bother you on a contemporary basis:

15. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Dallas was a success considering what they started out with when he got there. Then again, consider who the owner is.

Miami was a great turnaround, but it looks to me like they have a fractured front office nowadays. I can't help but think the ownership screwed that up too.

I'd take Parcells in a heartbeat over what we have now. Even if he is just a rental.

16. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I'd prefer to not take the chance on guessing whether this is true or not.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Best news (rumor) I've heard in a long while.

This I could go for. I could even see Parcells grooming Rick Smith (if Parcells thinks he is worth a darn) like he did the guy he left in Miami.

18. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I am probably the biggest Parcells fan on this board. However at this point I don't know if I could get excited about this. Since the Giants, Parcells has been infamous for just walking away on a whim with everyone else.

How many teams has he had on the brink and then just walked away? Jets and Pats for sure. I don't blame him for the Cowboys because of whom he was working for.

Now let's put this into perspective. The rumor is he would be coming in as GM not coach. He has only done that once before and that did not turn out well for whatever reason.

As for Maurice Carthon? Meh. I loved the guy as a player but honestly I know little about him as a coach.

All of that being said I do love the Giants connection though.

19. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I disagree - Miami's ended up a big failure. Not only the fact that they're going to finish their second non-playoff year (and possibly second sub .500 season) this Sunday, but the Parcell's legacy in Miami will be forgoing Matt Ryan in order to draft Jake Long. In his time there, they drafted Chad Henne, Pat White, and signed Chad Pennington as a FA. They are now headed into next season with a middle of the pack 1st round pick, and no QB of the future (or the present).

Let's just say if Parcells came here and essentially duplicated his Miami performance, very few Texan fans would be satisfied with his tenure.

20. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Bad move IMO just look at the state of the Miami Dolphins where parcells was running the team it was complete disaster I think there are 3 coaches that the Texans should consider. The #1 coach should be Tony Dungy he knows the AFC South and has been a winner over the division for years. The #2 coach would be John Gruden he has taken two franchises to the playoffs with the Bucs & Raiders and he is a superbowl champ as well. The #3 coach would be Bill Cowher who is a proven winner and the only reason why he is the 3rd coach because he would come in change to the 3-4 defense that could take some time to get the right players for that system so that is why I went with the other 2 coaches first.