Rules Change: No More Peel-Back Blocks

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texaninlild, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...=cr-nflownerssafety032309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

We are getting to the point where all big hits will be eliminated.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

At least they are consistent.

Now both teams can take their pads off instead of just the offense seeing as how neither will need them.

3. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

That is bullshit. BULLSHIT. That's one of the most exciting parts of the game - and EVERYONE who gets hit with one of them can prevent it if they listen to the coaching they've gotten since they played in middle school - KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL.

Such garbage. I hate, hate, hate this ruling.

Maybe next we can replace tackling with deep tongue-kissing.

4. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Football is becoming wussier. Safety is important, but damn, leave some excitement in it.

Different sport, same idea: Hockey better not get rid of fighting. I swear, it is an integral part of the game.

People need to man up.

5. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i was talking to a guy at work about this.. the players get paid millions of dollars to play a contact sport that has lots of risks thats why they get paid so much... NO FUN LEAGUE

6. False Start

False Start On # 69

The NFL getting closer and closer to becoming this......

[​IMG]

7. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

so uh

does that mean David Carr can become an elite NFL QB soon?

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

These "big hits" generally come away from the play, and are unnecessary. The hits on Chad Clifton and Matt Schaub (by Warren Sapp and Drayton Florence, respectively) would now be illegal. As they should be. There's no legitimate reason to use your helmet as a weapon.

Double Barrel likes this.
  9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yes - but also the hit on Keith Rivers by Hines Ward would be illegal, and that's ridiculous, because if Rivers had KEPT HIS HEAD ON A SWIVEL as he's been coached to do since a youth - it never would have happened.

10. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i havent read but i thought i heard its only helemt to helmet peel back blocks that were being made illegal, which im fine with

going for someones head or knee ( ask travis) when they arent looking is a grade A ***** move anyway. you can stil KTFO of someone who isnt looking with a body block- just man up because it'll hurt you a bit more too

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

No. He still needs the "No defensive ends or secondary" rule. :)

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Actually, what bugs me even more is that they won't change the overtime rules. When you know that the team winning the coin toss scores on the first drive in OT 43% of the time, you change the overtime system OR YOU JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE COMPETITION and trying to have the best team win. :foottap:

13. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

Some may see it as making the league more wussier, but I still see it as a good move, these players, though they get paid millions of dollars, do need to be protected from hits that endanger their careers/bodies. It's part of the game to get hit, but not helmet to helmet or other dangerous ways, those types of hits can cause serious problems immediately or later in life.

Also, I like the current OT rules, I've always liked having the coin-toss being a big factor in OT, because it's all up to chance who wins it... not to mention the college OT rules are absolutely ridiculous.

14. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't like the helmet to helmet stuff...When you're on the field and you're moving so fast it's not exactly always easy to avoid hitting another player in the head...

But atleast they are making the rules somewhat more even...

15. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Indeed. It's just to damn dangerous for all parties involved.

16. Polo

Polo Guest

I disagree with the part about using your helmet...

Every since you are in little leauge you are taught to put the two screws in the front of your helmet into the opponents chest. You are supposed to lead with your hat, but you are not supposed to have your head down.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The reason for the rule changes is that players aren't aiming for the chest any more. They are aiming for the head and knees.

That crap needs to stop.

18. Polo

Polo Guest

I don't think you should be able to perform a 'blind cut block' on a player...Like what Trent did to TJ was not cool...Intentionally going for a players knees when he is moving fast and not looking is dangerous...You can tell when a player is intentionally going for another guys' knees.

Getting hit in the head IMO is completely different though. First of all, it's not like it's this super common occurnce where a player gets blind side hit in the head causing serious injury. Second, the player that is about to do the hitting cant control how the other player moves. You could be aiming for the chest, but if that other player makes a move you could wind up hitting them anywhere.

That's why even though these rules get implemented you still have about the same amount of players every year commiting these infractions. Some of the most major injuries that occur while the games are being played happen due to other factors beyond maliciousness.

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I agree with that entire post. I think they passed the new rules just to make sure that nobody was gonna go out there and intentionally go for head to head hits. The accidental stuff is still going to happen.

I agree with the intentions of the league, but they are going a little bit overboard.

A good case of what you are talking about is the Eric Smith hit on Anquan Boldin last year. That was a completely unintentional hit as he was aiming for Boldin's chest and then Boldin lowered his head. There was no penalty on the play because it was obviously an accident.

But then the league comes back later and suspends and fines Smith for something he had no control over. How was he supposed to know that Boldin was going to move his head there?

TimeKiller likes this.
  20. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Helmet to helmet is illegal anyway. They should drop suspensions for it. Thats the only way to hit these guys where it hurts.