RotoWorld says we have the #1 O-line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ObsiWan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I have to file this one under "We've come a long way, baby." I remember when we had to run trolls outta here for chiding us how much our O-line sucked and how we ruined HWWNBN's career by not protecting him better.

LINK

I only quoted/posted the top five but all 32 teams are ranked in the article. I found it interesting that the Colts' line is listed at #26.

ChampionTexan and nytexan like this.
  2. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I have a hard time to believe that... Let`s not forget that we had one of the worst lines in 2009, and a lot of people begged for an OL men to be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round in the 2010 draft. Sure, our O-Line is good, but no way it is that good. Actually the O-Line is kinda my biggest concern for the upcoming season on offense...

3. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Have a hard time rankin our bunch ahead of the Pats. Brady always seems like he has enough time to retie his shoelaces before he has to throw......

Imatexanfan likes this.
  4. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I don't know about that, since 2009 was Schaub's big year.

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Rushing is not a big part of NE's gameplan, and Tom Brady is like an amoeba in the pocket, carefully sliding to one side or another to avoid gigantic men flying at him.

I'd honestly rather have the Jets or Dolphins O-line over the Pats if all other moving parts were equal.

6. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I don't know about #1, BUT even being in the discussion is pretty cool.

Let's hope, someday SOON, that our secondary can make that same meteoric rise.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Not bad for a bunch of softies. ;)

BIG TORO likes this.
  8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Yep, rushing was down, but they led the league in passing yards, and despite attempting the 4th most passes in the NFL that year, they only gave up 25 sacks - putting them at 5th best in that category. Maybe not stellar, but not exactly horrible either.

9. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

I think just like D. Carr was shell-shocked, our fans are shell-shocked from the roller coster of expectation vs. resultant-sucktitude and are thus afraid to be number 1.

I am taking a stand and agreeing that we have the #1 OL until proven wrong. Afterall, this article says so and it's on the internet.:elmo::worm:

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You're only thinking pass protection. This eval is about the total O-line package. The Pats' O-line, while it does stand out above the rest in pass protection, they can't produce near the quality running attack that ours can. I can totally see ours grading out better in the run game.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

The simple fact that we're ever being amongst this discussion is awsome when you consider how bad it was for so many years. This is just nice to read and hear us being ranked in something like this. :fans:

12. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

I just hope its not a sign like years past.....

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Are you getting the OL and DL mixed up? The only real noise I remember about our OL was Studdard being the backup LG and Myers at C. There was much more moaning and groaning about our DL.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

There was always moaning about our DL... but most people didn`t want to draft a DT high and prefered to sign one via FA. On the contrary lots of people wanted us to sign a G like Iupati or a C like that guy that went to Pittsburgh with the 1st round pick. Our running game was really bad, as were all 3d and short situations. Most people were hating on Myers, the Wade Smith signing was considered average at best. The departure of the injury ridden Pitts and the inconsistent play of our line as a whole was a major concern.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The left side for NE is really damn good .... but Brady's savy in the pocket has a lot to do with their OL overall.

Its nice to see the Texans OL getting some recognition. They had a real solid season both running and passing. Are they as good as advertised here ? Who knows ..... But its a far cry from watching comercials with HHWNBM lining up with no OL at all.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Heard an intersting stat earlier while watching the Browns & Packers ....

The Texans OL had the fewest holding penalties in the league last year with 12. The next fewest was the Packers with 16. Thats pretty impressive.

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

That is the kind of thing that helps keep drives alive. After turnover ratio, the lack of penalties is likely the next major state that dictates and translates into wins other than a lack of injuries which kind of trumps everything.

18. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I would disagree

Winston is like a tackle on roller skates he gets beat alot

Brown was suspend for 4 games last year and so far hes been subpar at best at pass protection agansit the elitle teams

Chris myers ..... No commet

Wade smith is one of fhe only line i think is acctually good and hes a free agent player

And has far has the other guard it seems like its musical chairs on the right side

Kimmy likes this.
  19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I couldn't find that game. NFLnetwork replayed the Ravens/Eagles game on Dish Network.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

The key to an O-line isn't nesisarily each guys skills, but rather how well they work together. That usually takes 3-4 years to become effective. That I think is what we are seeing. They are working well together and the sum of the parts are greater than the individual ones.