Roster Predictions after game 2

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by barrett, Aug 18, 2008.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I thought I'd go ahead and start a roster thread for this week. We've got a bit more insite after week two. There has been a definitive stir up at WR after Jacoby's contrasting performance to David Anderson. Butler seems to have staked his claim as the swing tackle. Where does this leave Salaam? Slaton has demanded playing time with the 1's and Green's inability to play ads even more questions not to mention some so-so play by Brown and Taylor. Walker didn't even get onto the field so the questions continue.

On the defensive side, all the excitement over Bulman has cooled as we watch him come off the line a second after everyone else. (ironic that he has our only sack thus far) Ol' man ND has made the biggest push as a pass rusher, Weaver is -sigh- just Weaver entrenched in mediocrity. All these mystery backup DL's are going to be hard to shake out. Backup LB's is a complete mystery as well. Colvin looks out to pasture, Thompson is finally getting healthy but he's hard to judge. Kubiak says he's still not %100. Adibi has been hurt and hasn't showed much. I don't see the young draft picks being too difficult to figure as they are investments but the veteran questions as well as the undrafted or late drafted standouts are where all the confusion lies.

All that said, here's my best stab at 53:

3QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd
    4RB: Green, Brown, Slayton, Taylor
    1FB: Leach
    4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener or Krause
    6WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones, Williams
    9OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye

1K: Brown
    1P: Turk
    1LS: Pittman

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Weaver, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Robinson
    6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Thompson, Bently, Adibi (i'm cutting colvin)
    5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins
    4S: Demps, Brown, Earl, Ferguson

PUP: Robinson
    IR: Weary
    PS: Barber, Harrison, Roberson, Nading, Coley, Brink, Walker & McCoy

disaacks3 likes this.
  2. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm pretty much in agreement with you except I think Harrison has to make the team at Safety- they need a speed and cover guy. I gotta believe we keep 5 WRs. Either Jacoby is gone, someone gets injured, or Harry goes to P.S.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I know there's only a limited number of spots but I think they'll fight their hardest to find spots for Colvin, Bulman, and maybe Walker. Who I would switch them with? idonno:

That's a good list though, there's going to be some tough cuts this year.

4. pittbull3

pittbull3 Veteran

I like your roster. I would think they will eventually go with 2 Qb's. That will open a roster sport for someone. Most likely Salaam, even though I don't feel we need him at this point. Butler is putting in work and so is Frye on the right side.:thisbig:

5. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

based on what i've seen from both Bulman and Colvin... I don't see it. Bulman is consistently late off the line, colvin is sort of trotting around out there... maybe I'm missing something but I don't see those guys making the team. I know we were all super excited when we signed Colvin but I ask you, what have you seen that suggests that he's making any kind of impact.

As for Walker, he didn't even get on the field last week.

6. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

3QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd
    4RB: Walker, Slayton, Taylor, Shipp
    1FB: Leach
    3TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener
    6WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones, Simmons
    10OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye, Salaam

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Weaver, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Robinson
    6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Thompson, Bently, Adibi
    5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins

PUP: Robinson
    IR: Weary
    PS: Barber, Harrison, Roberson, Nading, Coley, McCoy, Williams, Brink(maybe?)

The people in Red are the ones I'd put inactive each game (barring injury), the ones in purple are "choose from" for inactive duty.

7. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i'm not seeing simmons either. anyone that far down on the depth chart has to contribute on ST and he's not that guy. and how on earth does shipp make this team? you hate the glass backs huh?

8. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The competition at WR and on the OL is going to make this season's cuts tough. If we carry 6 WRs or 10 OL we lose some depth on defense. Even moreso if we carry both 6 WRs and 10 OL. There will be some tough cuts made, even moreso if we pick up someone from another team after their cutdowns.

9. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i'd say it'll be 6WR OR 10 OL but not both.

p.s. Kubiak reassured me today on 610 that Jones will probably stay in the mix so that tells me that it's 6WR as opposed to 10OL

10. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Glass can't play if they're broken. Williams has looked great on kickoffs, but he's not the only one who can do kickoffs, I kept Simmons over Williams because he could probably do kickoff coverage too (Jacoby will also probably have to kickoff coverage as well). I forgot to mention on my roster, Dreesen is the longsnapper, I'm pretty sure he took some reps in camp there. I've got everyone doubled up on defense (pre-inactives that is), and I took 3 inactives from the D and 3 from the O. Only ran with 3 TEs, we'll probably sub in Butler as an elligible reciever on some Goalline Packages. Also, on a recount I only have 52 players ... maybe add Harrison or Roberson on defense, that'll make 27 on offense, 24 on defense, 2 kickers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i won't debate those depth theories but i just don't see Shipp over either of the glass backs... it just doesn't make sense.

12. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Its more Walker over the glass backs, then anything to do with Shipp, other then I'm interested, and in blind faith I'm calling him to make the team. :p

13. 281

281 Hall of Fame

bulman is getting cut, and colvin is making the cut.

14. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

2QB: Schaub, Rosenfels
    3RB: Brown, Slaton, Walker
    2FB: Leach, Taylor
    4TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Bruener, Krause
    6WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones, Williams
    10OL: Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Brisiel, Winston, Butler, Studdard, White, Frye, Salaam

1LS: Pittman

8DL: Williams, Okoye, Johnson, Cochran, Okam, Kalu, Bulman, Robinson
    6LB: Diles, Ryans, Greenwood, Bentley, Thompson, Adibi
    5CB: Bennett, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Roberson

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  15. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I don't see the two spots being related.

I think the decision to be made is 6 WR or 6 CB (or 5 S.) I think the last spot is a dedicated ST position (gunner) and, given Kubiak's latest comments, I don't see how anyone but Williams wins that position. Of course, that can change over the next couple of weeks. But, I don't think it does

I think the decision between 9 or 10 OL is totally independent of the aforementioned decision. And, given our injury history, I think 10 OL is almost a lock. The only way I think they try and get by with 9 OL is if they feel they can slip someone like Studdard or Frye onto the PS.

16. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Do we really need 4 TEs? And, do we really need 10 OL?

Seems to me it would be beneficial to keep a 3rd QB and/or another safety like Harrison or Barber, and/or another DL like Colvin or Maddox.

With as much specialty that happens on defense, I'd hate to hamstring the defense just to be extra deep at TE... Besides, if we keep 10 linemen, what does Bruener do for us? Butler and Frye are both more nimble, athletic, and probably faster than he is at this point.

17. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

We can keep 10 OL, and 6 WRs, Just need to drop Pittman (Dreesen can longsnap ... right?) and carry 3 TEs, (or 2 and just have one of extra lineman come in as an elligible receiver on goalline). Would also free up 1-2 spots for the defense.

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't think you skimp on your long-snapper. I'm pretty sure he needs to be a guy that concentrates on that all season. And, you don't want him playing outside of ST, increasing the chances of injury. Dressen can do it in a pinch, which is great... But, no way they go into the season without a specialty deep snapper like Pittman.

19. KEYE SUX

KEYE SUX Veteran

I only saw Green on the sidelines saying he wasn't sure when he is coming back and that its a part of the game. I sure hope he at least dignifies us with wearing a mask and pointing a gun when he picks up his paycheck

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I don't think they'll keep 4 TEs. I don't think they did last year and since Miller left that's not been an injury plagued position [knock on wood]
    That's where your #6 WR or #10 OL guy comes from.
    I still believe that we'll keep 3 QBs. I believe Kubiak is grooming Boyd to be the backup when we deal Sage next year.
    just my :twocents: