Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster cuts

I'd be happy with most of that but I expect to see Manieri or Pemberton on there. And we HAVE to put Jeremiah Johnson on there.

Yeah you are right...

I really like the Cochran kid though...

I haven't seen a lot from Greenhouse but I know a lot of posters like him...I dunno...

Last edited:
What I would like to see (no particular order):

RB Jeremiah Johnson
QB John David Booty
LB Isaiah Greenhouse
DT Malcolm Sheppard
OT Steve Maneri
CB Mark Parson
OT Cole Pemberton
WR Bobby Williams

I guess Robinson is the biggest surprise from those cuts.

White also is a little bit of a surprise.

agreed. i thought deljuan did enough to make it. i wasnt really watching okam but i didnt really notice that big of an improvement that kubiak mentioned. he did get decent pressure on one play last night i guess

agreed. i thought deljuan did enough to make it. i wasnt really watching okam but i didnt really notice that big of an improvement that kubiak mentioned. he did get decent pressure on one play last night i guess

Okam has been a lot more active this preseason, I think. He was absorbing some blockers and chasing after plays pretty well. I think he looks much better than he did last year.

To me, Okam looks unblockable by one lineman...

I saw him rag doll the Center he was going against a couple of times...

As a matter of fact I think I'm gonna re-watch this game right now...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7186997.html

Interesting we cut down to 51. Got a couple spots left so throw out some names that you have seen cut from other rosters.

For me, DT Jay Alford from the Giants and CB Chevis Jackson from Atlanta could be possibilities. Also from the Giants, RB Andre Brown. As others have mentioned, RB Joque Bell from Buffalo could be an option. The Cardinals released LB Cody Brown who was a 2nd rounder in 09. Might take a flyer on him and see if he can rush from an end position like he did in college. Not sure how I feel about Leinart or any of the other possibilities at QB but I'm certainly not sold on Dan O either.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7186997.html

Interesting we cut down to 51. Got a couple spots left so throw out some names that you have seen cut from other rosters.

For me, DT Jay Alford from the Giants and CB Chevis Jackson from Atlanta could be possibilities. Also from the Giants, RB Andre Brown. As others have mentioned, RB Joque Bell from Buffalo could be an option. The Cardinals released LB Cody Brown who was a 2nd rounder in 09. Might take a flyer on him and see if he can rush from an end position like he did in college. Not sure how I feel about Leinart or any of the other possibilities at QB but I'm certainly not sold on Dan O either.

Been waiting for someone to bring this name up...
His party-boy rep has cost him big time. Maybe this is his wake up call ...like the one VY got a while back.
Thoughts?

Been waiting for someone to bring this name up...
His party-boy rep has cost him big time. Maybe this is his wake up call ...like the one VY got a while back.
Thoughts?

As I pointed out before, we don't want no friggin' Lefty!........with a bedroom competing with the weight room.

Biggest surprises: At times, the Texans touted running backs Jeremiah Johnson and Chris Henry. But they are both gone now, Johnson likely due at least in part to a toe injury. Veteran Derrick Ward gets the last running back spot, and the Texans will move forward with Arian Foster, Steve Slaton and Ward as they look for a big jump from their running game. Another player that got some early hype from Gary Kubiak, defensive tackle Malcolm Sheppard, didn’t stick.

No-brainers: Considering quality and draft status ahead of them, low-ranking depth chart guys were easy choices for the waiver wire: Receivers Bobby Williams and Derrick Townsel, offensive tackles Steve Maneri, Brett Helms and Cole Pemberton, defensive tackle Mitch Unrein, linebacker Will Patterson and cornerback Mark Parson. Perhaps we will see a few of them who did OK resurface on the practice squad.

What’s next: With the running back issue resolved, the Texans might not have too much waiver-wire surfing to do. They could upgrade over Jesse Nading at their final end spot. While they are quite young with their five cornerbacks, they seemed committed to them all, at least right now. While they put Kris Brown and Andre Davis on IR and Anthony Hill on PUP, they did not announce Brian Cushing is on the suspended-reserve list. So they might still be in line to gain one roster spot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/14683/houston-texans-cutdown-analysis

Here are some facts that for the past 24 hours I have been seeking high and low. They don't seem to be formally addressed in the CBA (unless I'm missing something). The one I was looking for, in particular, was how long is the process given from the time of declaration of waiver to the completion of the process.

Re: NFL Waiver System.

According to the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), the waiver system is a procedure by which player contracts or “NFL rights” to players are made available by a club to other clubs in the League.

When a player is placed on waiver, the team holding the rights offers the contract to any of the 31 clubs, who either put in a claim for the contract or pass, or “waive” their right to the player’s services. The selection process during the season is based on the inverse of won-and-lost standing of that week, similar to the formula used to determine the NFL draft order. [As per KAISER TORO's post: This waiver wire order is reset on September 28th to reflect the current worst win/loss records in the league.]

Between July 4 and the conclusion of the regular season, the waiver system takes 24 hours to complete, whereas in the off-season, it’s 72 hours.

If all 31 teams pass on a player’s rights, his contract is officially terminated, and he becomes an unrestricted free agent regardless of the number of accrued seasons he has. However, if he’s picked up by a new team, his original contract details carries over to the team acquiring his rights; the exception being the signing bonus, which is the responsibility of the team that originally held the player’s rights.

All waivers are no recall and no withdrawal, meaning a team cannot change its mind once it makes its decision.

Further, if a team claims a player off waivers, the team releasing his rights is not entitled to any form of compensation, as is the case in free agency when a restricted free agent is signed to an offer sheet.

We ought to be getting answers on our questions of players like Joique Bell very soon.

General manager Rick Smith, coach Gary Kubiak, pro personnel director Brian Gardner and assistant pro personnel director Bobby Grier are meeting with the coaches and personnel department today to determine what players the Texans want to pursue.

They're going to evaluate quarterbacks, including Matt Leinart, linebackers, running backs, cornerbacks — any player they believe could help their team.

Waiver claims were placed Saturday. They find out who clears waivers and who's available to sign as free agents today.

The Texans have 51 players on what will be a 53-man roster. Expect them to make more than two changes to their roster this week.

If the Texans determine they're interested in a player like Leinart, they'll go after him. So will quite a few teams if we can believe what we're reading on the Internet.

Everybody figures Leinart will be reunited with Pete Carroll at Seattle. The Seahawks cut J.P. Losman. Charlie Whitehurst, their backup to Matt
Hasselbeck, didn't play well in preseason.

But CBSsports.com reports that Seattle isn't interested in Leinart.

I expect the Texans to check out Leinart and any quarterback they think might be able to help them.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/09/expect_the_texans_to_check_out.html

PFT reports regarding Texans interest in Leinart:

Meanwhile, and as Peter King reported on Saturday during our Notre Dame halftime segment, the Texans are interested. (We've confirmed that this is indeed the case.)

We've got enough problems to deal with, without bringing in a lefty backup with a chronic woody.

Why did we keep Orlovsky and cut Booty?

Because Kubiak figures no one will pick up Booty. We can stuff him onto the practice squad and continue working with him. That way, we effectively "keep" both guys.

If we cut Orlovsky, we don't have that option. We'd just have Booty.

Re: Peter King's comments about Leinart coming to Houston: King's a powerful media figure in the NFL, but in 2010 when he's not outright ignoring the Texans he's been far from flattering. I'd question anything he says about this team because I wonder how many are even interested in talking to him at this point.

His full tweet was: "Re my Leinart-to-Seattle bet: Let me add Houston to that. Give me Houston and Seattle, and you have the field."

Utter speculation.

Re: Peter King's comments about Leinart coming to Houston: King's a powerful media figure in the NFL, but in 2010 when he's not outright ignoring the Texans he's been far from flattering. I'd question anything he says about this team because I wonder how many are even interested in talking to him at this point.

His full tweet was: "Re my Leinart-to-Seattle bet: Let me add Houston to that. Give me Houston and Seattle, and you have the field."

Utter speculation.

Maybe its speculation .... But if he watched Orlavsky against the Buc's .... Hell , anyone who watched the Buc's game would speculate that the Texans were in the market for a QB.

I believe that Rhett Bomar was also released ..... anyone think he's worth taking a look at ?

Maybe its speculation .... But if he watched Orlavsky against the Buc's .... Hell , anyone who watched the Buc's game would speculate that the Texans were in the market for a QB.

I believe that Rhett Bomar was also released ..... anyone think he's worth taking a look at ?

hes been signed to the giants PS

Interesting couple of moves. Bummer about Maneri, he looked like he could turn into a pretty good LT with a season or two to pack on weight.

Jamar Wall is an interesting player. Liked him before the draft, I remember beerlover, badboy and I discussing him before going in another direction.

I dont know anything about Nixon, but I have a hard time believing that he is better than Isaiah Greenhouse, especially considering special teams value.

Interesting couple of moves. Bummer about Maneri, he looked like he could turn into a pretty good LT with a season or two to pack on weight.

Jamar Wall is an interesting player. Liked him before the draft, I remember beerlover, badboy and I discussing him before going in another direction.

I dont know anything about Nixon, but I have a hard time believing that he is better than Isaiah Greenhouse, especially considering special teams value.

Nixon has a great burst when he played for BYU at around 223 lbs.
I read that he's up to 240-242 lbs now.
I think he can be a good special team player, maybe!?!

Nixon has a great burst when he played for BYU at around 223 lbs.
I read that he's up to 240-242 lbs now.
I think he can be a good special team player, maybe!?!

I hope so. Nixon was never really on my radar, but that happens. In my opinion, the backup linebackers need to be good special teams guys. If Nixon cant do that, then he is useless.

Greenhouse is incredible at special teams. Seriously, the dude was a monster in college, and always around the action in the 2 preseason games I watched. Granted, he does not offer much in terms of actually playing linebacker, but as a 3rd string he would not see the field much there.

Still, I trust the coaching staff. Lets see how this turns out.

What is your opinion on Nixon over Greenhouse, while we are talking about it?

I hope so. Nixon was never really on my radar, but that happens. In my opinion, the backup linebackers need to be good special teams guys. If Nixon cant do that, then he is useless.

Greenhouse is incredible at special teams. Seriously, the dude was a monster in college, and always around the action in the 2 preseason games I watched. Granted, he does not offer much in terms of actually playing linebacker, but as a 3rd string he would not see the field much there.

Still, I trust the coaching staff. Lets see how this turns out.

What is your opinion on Nixon over Greenhouse, while we are talking about it?

I didn't follow Greenhouse prior to this year.
All I know is he showed some flashes in PS.

Nixon played well in the low 220s', but I don't know how much his speed is affected by the additional weight. He was a tweener oout of college. I liked him as a college player, but I was really hesitated about his translation to the pros.

This video claimed that he was at 230 in college (I think they just add some for "show").
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRhZCByOJYw

Maybe they can get him back to the low 220 and convert him to safety?
Honestly, I don't know!

Nixon played well in the low 220s', but I don't know how much his speed is affected by the additional weight. He was a tweener oout of college. I liked him as a college player, but I was really hesitated about his translation to the pros.

This video claimed that he was at 230 in college (I think they just add some for "show").

Honestly, I don't know!

Seems very athletic and quick. But very much like a tweener, and I worry that his speed wont be there twenty pounds heavier.

I don't know much about Nixon, but Greenhouse needs at least a yr. on the PS, he will turn out to be a great keeper, coming out of Northwestern ST. he was not a full time starter,hasn't played much and considered a bit raw/stiff , i'm sure being invited to the practice squad will give him time to develop into a good -solid LB.

I agree, Dixon seems very quick, how it translate to NFL speed remains to be seen, our LB situation opened this door for nixon, we have superior athletes on our PS, they just happen to play other positions.

Honestly, I don't know!

I think Greenhouse looked solid and expect him to be on the practice squad.

As for QB I want to throw in the name Patrick Ramsey, he was a backup in Denver a few years ago and he is a vet who should be a solid backup.

Because Kubiak figures no one will pick up Booty. We can stuff him onto the practice squad and continue working with him. That way, we effectively "keep" both guys.

If we cut Orlovsky, we don't have that option. We'd just have Booty.

So far it looks like Kubiak has given up the Booty

Dixon looks like a future WLB. He is quick to the ball and gets to top speed very quick. Like em.

Maybe he can become a "Troy Evans" on special team for us?

Yeah, I really like Greenhouse, too!
Our LB corp is rock solid. I cross my finger in hope that we can get by without Cushing for a few games. We just have to!

Gawd.... I want to beat the Colts so badly!

Back