Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster Cuts/Moves

Okay, WTF. The Chronicle now says that Tim Bulman was cut... but according to the main site, he's not. I'm guessing the Chronicle is wrong (gasp!), but if it's just a typo I wish they'd fix it.

There was still 1 more cut that needed to be made, maybe it was Bulamn?

Man, Colvin actually looked good and got a couple good pressures on the QB last night. This worries me even more about the D line and their ability get rush the passer.

Man, Colvin actually looked good and got a couple good pressures on the QB last night. This worries me even more about the D line and their ability get rush the passer.

yes, he did, but we needed him to get that or more pressure against the first teamers in the other 3 games of the preseason versus the 2nd and 3rd stringers last night.

I bet RS and GK had to really wrestle with cutting Colvin. I know I wish he had done what we thought he was going to do.

yes, he did, but we needed him to get that or more pressure against the first teamers in the other 3 games of the preseason versus the 2nd and 3rd stringers last night.

I bet RS and GK had to really wrestle with cutting Colvin. I know I wish he had done what we thought he was going to do.

FWIW ... LZ said Thompson had some explosion coming off the corner . He's also younger and faster ... if he ever plays .

I am hereby surprised that Colvin was cut. I'm guessing the coaches thought that he just was not a good fit at all for the 4-3. Losing Maddox also sucked.

There was still 1 more cut that needed to be made, maybe it was Bulamn?

The Texans said their final cut is being delayed until they continue to evaluate the injury to Brown's back and decide how much he can help the team.
So Brown still may be cut.

The DC has some guy named Cliff Washburn, an OLineman ?

he's a warm body at OL.
Remember Salaam is recovering from surgery and I think Chris White is nicked up. So they have two OL guys on the roster that are - for right now - non-functional. So when Salaam & White heal up (maybe before), look for one or two OL guys to be replaced by someone put on waivers by other teams.

The Texans said their final cut is being delayed until they continue to evaluate the injury to Brown's back and decide how much he can help the team.
So Brown still may be cut.
FWIW, McClain stated that Chris Brown would be cut. I guess they have to reach an injury settlement.

he's a warm body at OL.
Remember Salaam is recovering from surgery and I think Chris White is nicked up. So they have two OL guys on the roster that are - for right now - non-functional. So when Salaam & White heal up (maybe before), look for one or two OL guys to be replaced by someone put on waivers by other teams.

Washburn is roster #53 1/2.

They have 11 OL's on the roster now which is not normal. More to come.

Kubiak -

(on the tackle position situation with six players) “Yeah. We went a little heavy just like we just talked about. We went a little heavy on the offensive line. As you put a team together and you assess value and one position versus another position, we just felt like all those players at this point deserve to be on our team and give us a chance to go win and be competitive. If you look at our offensive tackle group, there’s a bunch of guys there, but (T) Ephraim’s (Salaam) been off for a little while with the knee. (T) Rashad (Butler) had a little bit of a shoulder deal yesterday. He’s going to be fine. All of the sudden you look like you’re heavy at a position, but injuries can take its toll on positions at certain times. I think a little bit of that has a little bit to do with it. Again, it’s just trying to get the best 53 guys at the end of the day.”

Sucks to see Fletcher and Walker get cut. You can't help but vote for Walker (even if you're like me and a sucker for "Wednesdays with Walker")..I was pulling for him OVER Brown. Moffitt was tough as well. Wish I could've seen more from him cause he seemed like someone who could've contributed.

But the bottom-line is this...we are getting to the point where we're cutting guys who'll play for other teams. It's a bitter-sweet feeling....but satisfying to know we're going where we want to be.

From HT.com

NAME----------POS.---HT.---WT.---COLLEGE
Jon Abbate......FB.....5-11...245...Wake Forest
Shane Boyd......QB......6-1...232...Kentucky
Alex Brink......QB......6-2...208...Washington St.
Kevis Coley.....LB......6-1...228...Southern Miss.
Rosevelt Colvin DE......6-3...250...Purdue
Glenn Earl.......S......6-1...215...Notre Dame
Greg Eslinger....C......6-3...292...Minnesota
Jamar Fletcher..CB.....5-10...180...Wisconsin
Darnell Jenkins WR.....5-10...188...Miami (Fla.)
Ryan Krause.....TE......6-3...244...Neb. - Omaha
Gabe Long.......DT......6-3...290...Utah
Anthony Maddox..DT......6-1...305...Delta St.
LeRon McCoy.....WR......6-1...219...Indiana (Pa.)
Ben Moffitt.....LB......6-2...245...South Florida
Jesse Nading....DE......6-5...258...Colorado St.
DerrickRoberson CB.....5-10...185...Rutgers
Marcel Shipp....RB.....5-11...224...Massachusetts
Mark Simmons....WR.....5-10...187...Kansas
Torrin Tucker....T......6-6...315...Southern Miss.
Darius Walker...RB.....5-11...205...Notre Dame
Dexter Wynn.....CB......5-9...175...Colorado St.

Thanks for the comprehensive list. I was disapointed with the Mofitt and Madox cuts. I'll be surprised if we've seen the last of Dariuos Walker. I'm stunned that Fletcher & Maddox were released. I think the roster is still in flux and will be well into September.

I think it was on ESPN that they were commenting on the Eagles and how they would likely be cutting this DE that was doing well in preseason with sacks etc. because they were so deep there with four other guys. That is the kind of guy I see Rick Smith bringing in the next day or two. If they can find a short yardage type RB I would think they would look at him also.

Brown and Green remain, but Darius Walker is out? Sure Walker isn't Barry Sanders, but at least he did a hell of alot more than those 2 bumbs. I don't get it.

I think it was on ESPN that they were commenting on the Eagles and how they would likely be cutting this DE that was doing well in preseason with sacks etc. because they were so deep there with four other guys. That is the kind of guy I see Rick Smith bringing in the next day or two. If they can find a short yardage type RB I would think they would look at him also.
I'm guessing that guy might be Jerome McDougal, a DE who had 2.5 sacks in four pre-season game this year.
http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0022163

Former first-round pick of the Eagles, who most fans consider a bust so far in the nfl.

EDIT: Looks like the Eagles fans want to keep him around. Who knows, it's up to Reid though.

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=506937&st=20

Also, I hope Seattle cut Babin so we can bring him back! he was also a beast this pre-season.

Last edited:
Brown and Green remain, but Darius Walker is out? Sure Walker isn't Barry Sanders, but at least he did a hell of alot more than those 2 bumbs. I don't get it.

I think Brown is gone and they're going to try to find another, better guy on the waiver wire. I expect them to try to put Darius on the PS.

I'm surprised to see Darius Walker, Anthony Maddox, and Shane Boyd go. They'll probably bring back Alex Brink to the practice squad. Disappointed that the Roosevelt Colvin era didn't last long. I was really hoping that he and Mario Williams will give us a fierce pass rush. At this point all teams have to do is to double up on Mario and the rest is easy.

At this point all teams have to do is to double up on Mario and the rest is easy.

I would imagine that's how Tampa Bay fans felt about Leroy Selmon in the beginning of his carear. Not that I disagree with you, because I don't. We still need someone else on the opposite side of Mario to at least warrant attention.

The names in red make our practice squad...

Originally Posted by ObsiWan
From HT.com

The names in red make our practice squad...

Originally Posted by ObsiWan
From HT.com

No major (or even minor) disagreements, but a couple thoughts. You leave two spots available - I could envision Roberson being brought back, and if we do bring in a waiver wire player, and waive Washburn as a result, he could end up on the PS too.

Finally, I haven't a clue as to where things stand with Charles Spencer, but I know that Rick Smith specifically brought up the idea of him being back on our practice squad under the right circumstances.

No major (or even minor) disagreements, but a couple thoughts. You leave two spots available - I could envision Roberson being brought back, and if we do bring in a waiver wire player, and waive Washburn as a result, he could end up on the PS too.

Finally, I haven't a clue as to where things stand with Charles Spencer, but I know that Rick Smith specifically brought up the idea of him being back on our practice squad under the right circumstances.

I was thinking the same thing. He won't be good to go for awhile, but as opposed to the situation for him with other teams, we know what we have in him and what we don't........and he knows our system.

The bg question regarding Big Nasty is will he (can he?) get back into good enough shape?
If he can trim down a bit, I'd love to have him back.

Texans practice squad as of right now:

Signed LB Kevis Coley, WR Darnell Jenkins, DT Gabe Long, DE Jesse Nading, CB Derrick Roberson, WR Mark Simmons and RB Darius Walker to practice squad.

Only surprise, with one spot left available, is the absence of Alex Brink.

Texans practice squad as of right now:

Only surprise, with one spot left available, is the absence of Alex Brink.

I would be both suprised and rather miffed if they don't have a QB on the practice squad. History shows us we we should.

I would be both suprised and rather miffed if they don't have a QB on the practice squad. History shows us we we should.

With two more P/S spots open, I suspect one will be filled by a QB.
Maybe Brinks has his cellphone turned off
:D

I'm certain they'll have a QB on the practice squad, at least I hope so. To NOT do so is to ignore history. I don't think the Texans management is that stupid.

There's only one more spot available.........and let's not forget that the PS can be fluid over the next week......and possibly beyond.:)

you're right... I mis-counted.

now what's the rule?
If you sign someone off the waiver wire, you can stick them on your P/S; but if you sign them off someone else's P/S you have to list them among your 53?
...right?
:thinking:

Charles Spencer would have to prove he is doing something about his weight IMO, before we would think about taking him back.

Rumor has it that Charles Spencer's getting a looksee from the Jags. I suppose it's to fill in for the recent tragedy.

Free agent OL Charles Spencer is headed to Jacksonville Tuesday to take a physical for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Scout Rumor Central has confirmed.

Spencer, who was selected in the third round of the 2006 draft by the Houston Texans, will sign a contract with Jacksonville as long as he passes the team physical and likely will be placed on the practice squad.

Spencer, if he passes the physical, could be added to the active roster before Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans in lieu of the situation with backup OT Richard Collier who was shot and critically wounded Tuesday evening.

http://jac.scout.com/a.z?s=119&p=9&c=2&cid=785943&nid=3661751&fhn=1

After last year, I find it have to believe they are going without keeping a third QB. At least on the practice squad you'd think they would have one. Kubes and company have more faith in Schaub staying upright than I do.

Is it just me, or does anyone else love that we were able to keep ahold of LB Coley? I think this guy's got potential to play in the NFL eventually.

:texflag:

After the training camp he had I was shocked when they cut him.

Yeah, me too. Especially with Thompson and Adibi sidelined. Hopefully he'll stick around and be groomed like Diles was last season. Heck if those two don't get right, we might see Coley sooner rather than later.

:fans:

Back