Rookie wall

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamesBill, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JamesBill

JamesBill Veteran

It is a shame to see how JJ Watt has hit his rookie wall with a unbelievable dominating performance in Tenn and against the Bengals.

Rookie wall means that rookies always become All-Pro's late in the regular season and into the playoffs right?

2. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Just think how good he will be when he clears the wall.

:coffee:

3. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I think he's more likely to run through the wall, stop, go back, and pound the pieces into the ground.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

In all honesty, I think Watt hit the rookie wall around the time Mario got hurt. We didn't see or hear much from either Watt or Smith (or Jamison, or Mitchell).

Then Watt found something (spinach?) around the second Indy game. That's the game he started to take over (imo). Then Saturday you saw Watt, Smith, Mitchell all making noise.

So we're past the rookie wall thing, now we're working on the sophomore slump.

5. JamesBill

JamesBill Veteran

The insanity point for me was the Titans game. Couldn't believe it.

6. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The big fella is truly playing some great ball.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Dude has shoulders that make it look like the hanger is still inside the shirt he has on.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I think he hit the wall shortly after the pick then gathered himself, took it in & rest, as they say, is history :barman:

9. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Watt takes games off. He took off some games to be ready for the playoffs, should have drafted a high motor guy........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, totally kidding, love that guy. I was watching the game at a bar with a buddy, and a series before the pick 6 I told him what a bad ass Watt is, and then BAM he showed how bad he is!!!!

10. JamesBill

JamesBill Veteran

Also calling him a high motor guy at this point seems like a complete insult. He is a beast of a physical mismatch, who also happens to try as hard as he can every single play.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The ROOKIE WALL comes in the 2nd year.........that's why it's also referred to as THE SOPHOMORE SLUMP.

12. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

speaking of rookie walls. It appears to me that tate has hit a minor rookie wall, besides the start against the titans he seems ineffective when he's in now.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Not as I understand it. I always thought the rookie wall was where your rookies play their last college season, go to bowl games, keep working for Pro days and the combine, through OTA's and training camp, then start playing a season that's 5-6 games longer than they are used to. It varies but at some point they're just out of gas and need that off-season between their first and second year to recover.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  14. Luv_ya_blue

Luv_ya_blue 1%er

I sure hope that he hasn't been hangin' out at
    Cush's House of Pharmaceuticals!

:mariopalm:

The guy is an INSANE FREAK OF NATURE!!

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Technically you are definitely correct. Since we were speaking of Watts (tongue in cheek), I was making for the case that the season is over, and that if it occurs, it can carry onto the 2nd year.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Cushing's perspiration is a naturally occuring performance enhancing drug. Just being in the same locker room with him caused a wimpy little Clay Matthews to grow into that monster in Green Bay.

Nobody can say for certain what it will do to Watt. Just nobody add any gama radiation to the mix please.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The rookie wall thing is real, but it's not a cinch. By all accounts, Watt is a very hard worker, which is something lots of rookies aren't. How many times have we heard Kubiak say about some guy, "he needs to learn to be a pro"? Hasn't said that about Watt, to my knowledge. Also, staying in school the extra year tends to help, IMO. It also helps when the college player is going to bowl games, because that lengthens the season and acclimates the player to that workload.

Anyway, I think it's a combination of factors, and it's pretty evident that Watt is someone really special.

18. Joeycharp89

Joeycharp89 Veteran

I thought we were just referring to Watt as a wall. A very high wall that stops runners and blocks passers at the same time.

19. Section516

Section516 Warrior