Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rookie RB Slaton to get 1st team reps against Cowboys

Where did John McClain get that he was going to start? All Kubiak said was and I quote..

“I think he’s earned the right to get some reps with the first group,”....“We’re going to probably go three quarters this week with our first group. He’ll definitely become part of that.”

John McClain is definitely filling in the blanks on this one.

Where did John McClain get that he was going to start? All Kubiak said was and I quote..

You are absolutely correct and I'm sure McClain won't get publicy embarrassed as he should be if his statement turns out to be false.:tearup:

Well I saw the pork chop walking out of the dressing room with a pad and a pencil in his hands. Never heard the quotes he got first hand. just wondering where were you and your pad and pencil after the game ?

I really hope he does, I do like what I am seeing from Slaton, would love to see him get a chance to start against not only a first team but one of the better first team defenses in the league.

i didn't see anything that suggested that he would start either.

exactly.
getting reps with the ones does not equate to starting.
Brown will probably start. We'll probably see Slaton late 1st qtr/early 2nd. But that's just my SWAG.

Kubiak's comments leave no doubt we'll see Slaton early and often with the first team. "Starting" is a relative comment I guess. If he's in on the first third down on the first series, you could almost call that a start. If he's in at the starting tailback on 1st and 10, then that's saying something about Brown's status as well.

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing from this move (if he is in fact 'starting') is an 'oh boy, we sure caught lightniing in a bottle with our new rookie RB' or 'oh ****, we really can't count on anything from AG or CB this year and we're screwed again.' It's probably a combination of both with bias toward the latter.

I'd just hate to run this kid into the ground like we did DD. He needs a capable bigger body guy to help take some of the load. He could be a wonderful complementary back around here for a long time if played right.

McClain just said (on 610 radio) Kubiak said he'll get reps with first team and will play during first team time,,,not necessarily STARTER. He says he did not write the TITLE of the his article.

McClain just said (on 610 radio) Kubiak said he'll get reps with first team and will play during first team time,,,not necessarily STARTER. He says he did not write the TITLE of the his article.

And it appears that the Chron's website has been updated, as neither the headline, nor the article references anything about "Starting".

It's true that it's SOP for someone other than the reporter/columnist to write the headlines.

Reporters never write their own headlines. They have headline writers that do that. So, it appears someone jumped the gun. Nevertheless, we'll see Slaton with the first team quite often against a very good defense, and one running the same style as we'll see in week one. Let's see what the kid can do and go from there.

Kubiak's comments leave no doubt we'll see Slaton early and often with the first team. "Starting" is a relative comment I guess. If he's in on the first third down on the first series, you could almost call that a start. If he's in at the starting tailback on 1st and 10, then that's saying something about Brown's status as well.

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing from this move (if he is in fact 'starting') is an 'oh boy, we sure caught lightniing in a bottle with our new rookie RB' or 'oh ****, we really can't count on anything from AG or CB this year and we're screwed again.' It's probably a combination of both with bias toward the latter.

I'd just hate to run this kid into the ground like we did DD. He needs a capable bigger body guy to help take some of the load. He could be a wonderful complementary back around here for a long time if played right.

he's certainly getting the reps. one of the biggest surprises of the pre-season & has fast become the workhorse of the RB's so your concerns are justified, once again best option.

:specnatz:

On radio 610 MCClain just revealed that Green would not play the rest of the preseason.............that this is what the coaches told him they planned all along. They certainly never made that statement anywhere that I heard or for that matter anyone else heard. This seems like just another example of the Texans Two-Truth. And as aj previously wrote, if Green is on final roster, he gets his payload guaranteed. Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"

Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"
Or maybe pictures in Greens possession of Messrs. Kubiak or Smith in an uncomprosing situation with a female companion ?
Seriously, how can they keep Green and commit the cap for him without atleast one more test drive in preseason ?
But I'm getting real excited about Slaton. I just googled him and WOW, he had a prodigous career at WV with some pretty dang good measurebles in post season events like his proday. Some say he wasn't drafted higher because of his size, which implies durability issues ?
I see the guys a PA native, from Philly. He's gotta be pretty dang excited about the prospect of getting on the field vs the Steelers up there in the season opener.

Good to hear they are holding Green out. If we cut him this year it is mostly a wash. Next year is the year we cut bait as we get more goodness from a cap relief standpoint.

And as aj previously wrote, if Green is on final roster, he gets his payload guaranteed. Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"
Wouldn't the Texan need to reach an injury settlement with Green, thanks to that devastating groin injury? I don't know how much $$$ that would be, or the cap implications. It could be that Smith & Kubiak realize they're stuck with Green, and are trying to make the best of a bad situation.

BTW, did anyone see Michael Turner against the Colts? Wow. It would have nice to have had the cap room to go after him this past offseason.

According to Keith W's salary cap pages

Ahman is set to make in:
2008 - 3.8m in salary and 1.637m in bonus
2009 - 4.8m in salary and 2.037m in bonus

He does not have 2010 data published which is the year Green is signed through.

Morlon Greenwood's contract is where the savings are in the very near future.

Weaver's contract is flat out painful to look at, and is signed through 2010.

I have mixed emotions with Green. On the one hand, I completely agree with keeping him fresh and getting healed up for this season. On the other, I'm starting to feel that his spot is not safe at all. If we're at all wondering if he's going to make the team or not, don't baby him... I put him out there running and if he gets injured (again) then he gets injured. That's the only question I have about Green. Can he stay healthy or not? If the answer is no... get rid of him.

Now I understand the cap implications. It'd be great if he could be healthy this year and then release him next year but at this point, we're trying to find roster spots for as many other guys that have potential at every positions. Darius Walker is a guy I think should definitely make the squad as a backup and it'd be a shame to cut him just to have Green on IR by game 3 or 4 and Walker picked up by a nother team. Or get rid of DT Bulman or the young CB Roberson because that last spot is reserved for Green.

Walker is in the same boat as Green in the "what have you done for me lately" category as well. Walker did not get picked up by anyone last year and there are other Walker's out there.

However, I do believe Walker will make the roster with Taylor being cut.

Like last year I am optimistic about our offensive line getting incrementally better.

As far as roster spots are concerned. Bulman and Roberson need to beat out players at their respective positions unless they are proving to be special teams stars.

On radio 610 MCClain just revealed that Green would not play the rest of the preseason.............that this is what the coaches told him they planned all along. They certainly never made that statement anywhere that I heard or for that matter anyone else heard. This seems like just another example of the Texans Two-Truth. And as aj previously wrote, if Green is on final roster, he gets his payload guaranteed. Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"

I watched the live press conference on the official site yesterday. It was there that Kubiak first (at least I don't remember seeing it since the injury, but I've been out of town) revealed that Green would be out about three weeks. Like I said on my blog, I'm just going to go ahead and tack a "at least" on the front of that.

It's time to cut him, cap hit be damned. It's not reactionary or overreacting... it's time. He's done.

Green was a gamble that didn't pay off - **it happens.

Holding on to this guy isn't such a bad idea...for awhile until something better comes along. Once the cuts begin - I think that Green either gets better really fast or he will find himself a retired football player. His days are numbered - that much is apparent.

I really don't think that Kubiak will keep him on the active roster if he is just taking up space. These guys have a playoff goal about which they appear to be very very serious. If AG can't help them get there - they won't keep him around. Our running game isn't good enuf for us to be a rundown running back charitable organization...even though sometimes it looks that way.

I'm really liking Slaton. He reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. They have the same body type. Very close in weight and Slaton is just a few inches taller. If he turns out to be anything like Jones-Drew he will defiantly help create a run game for the Texans.

I'm really liking Slaton. He reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew. They have the same body type. Very close in weight and Slaton is just a few inches taller. If he turns out to be anything like Jones-Drew he will defiantly help create a run game for the Texans.

huh?

did MJD go on a diet this off-season and i missed it?

As far as roster spots are concerned. Bulman and Roberson need to beat out players at their respective positions unless they are proving to be special teams stars.

Bulman was a very good ST performer last year, and has the only sack this preseason - and it was a hustle sack, too. Roberson has played pretty well on ST thus far, but he has less of a chance to make the team than Bulman, though both may make it. The cut from 75 to 53 is going to be tough, no doubt.

Slaton has bulked up, but isn't quite up to MJD's size yet. Also, MJD has tree trunks for legs. Nonetheless, I feel the size issue is often overplayed.

Jones-Drew is everything in the NFL Reggie Bush was supposed to be, so I think its premature to rate Slaton that highly right now, though the early return are looking good.

Slaton is built more like Portis when he came into the league.

33-30468-F.jpg

610x.jpg

I was surprised how good he looked in the holes and taking hits while driving his legs.

Still needs to go against a 1st team defense and show he can sustain the poundings over a term, to comfort our concerns based on our history in the backfield, and shake past perception of his WVa career.

Wouldn't the Texan need to reach an injury settlement with Green, thanks to that devastating groin injury? I don't know how much $$$ that would be, or the cap implications. It could be that Smith & Kubiak realize they're stuck with Green, and are trying to make the best of a bad situation.

BTW, did anyone see Michael Turner against the Colts? Wow. It would have nice to have had the cap room to go after him this past offseason.

The way they have made it seem, just like AJ, he's really ready to go, but they want him to be "really healed and rested" before getting out there. If indeed, he is technically ready to go, then he does not fall into the settlement clause.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but in the Baldinger interview video when we practice with the Saints, he said that some heads around the league thought Slaton was the best back in the entire draft. You gotta remember the injury was the thing that hamper him in his senior year, but before that he was consider a first round pick and one of the top RB in NCAA.

i think you can finally change the title of this thread now that john Mcmuffin has corrected the headline on the website. he's not expected to start.

Where did John McClain get that he was going to start? All Kubiak said was and I quote...John McClain is definitely filling in the blanks on this one.
McCain didn't say he would start. In fact elsewhere he said he may not. The writers don't necessarily set the headlines.

Jones-Drew is everything in the NFL Reggie Bush was supposed to be, so I think its premature to rate Slaton that highly right now, though the early return are looking good.

That doesn't keep people from thinking about it though..:D

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

"Slaton has been regarded as at best a third-down back, due to his size. But why does it have to be that way? If he can move the chains, hold the ball, and avoid the injury bug, he could be a force. He’s got a nose for the end zone and a burst of speed that (unlike Reggie Bush) apparently is translating well to the NFL.

It’s still way too early to make comparisons. But wouldn’t it be the ultimate irony if it turns out that, two years after passing on Bush with the No. 1 overall pick, the Texans picked up in round three a guy who ends up being better than Bush?"

Not irony...Vindication...

:coffee:

Back