Rookie RB Slaton to get 1st team reps against Cowboys

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Corrosion, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

:fans:

Awesome. Can't wait to see what he does. If he lights it up, then we have our season starter.

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Where did John McClain get that he was going to start? All Kubiak said was and I quote..

John McClain is definitely filling in the blanks on this one.

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

5. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

You are absolutely correct and I'm sure McClain won't get publicy embarrassed as he should be if his statement turns out to be false.:tearup:

6. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well I saw the pork chop walking out of the dressing room with a pad and a pencil in his hands. Never heard the quotes he got first hand. just wondering where were you and your pad and pencil after the game ?

7. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

The main thing is he is proving to be much better than the draftniks thought he was going to be.

8. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i didn't see anything that suggested that he would start either.

9. Sideline

Sideline Hall of Fame

I really hope he does, I do like what I am seeing from Slaton, would love to see him get a chance to start against not only a first team but one of the better first team defenses in the league.

10. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

This just in...Texans will field a team next week vs. Cowboys.

-JM

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

exactly.
    getting reps with the ones does not equate to starting.
    Brown will probably start. We'll probably see Slaton late 1st qtr/early 2nd. But that's just my SWAG.

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Kubiak's comments leave no doubt we'll see Slaton early and often with the first team. "Starting" is a relative comment I guess. If he's in on the first third down on the first series, you could almost call that a start. If he's in at the starting tailback on 1st and 10, then that's saying something about Brown's status as well.

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing from this move (if he is in fact 'starting') is an 'oh boy, we sure caught lightniing in a bottle with our new rookie RB' or 'oh shit, we really can't count on anything from AG or CB this year and we're screwed again.' It's probably a combination of both with bias toward the latter.

I'd just hate to run this kid into the ground like we did DD. He needs a capable bigger body guy to help take some of the load. He could be a wonderful complementary back around here for a long time if played right.

13. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

McClain just said (on 610 radio) Kubiak said he'll get reps with first team and will play during first team time,,,not necessarily STARTER. He says he did not write the TITLE of the his article.

14. texan pride

texan pride Rookie

I was hoping this would happen! Time to see how good he really is. Come on Slaton, burn them Cowgirls!

15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

And it appears that the Chron's website has been updated, as neither the headline, nor the article references anything about "Starting".

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

It's true that it's SOP for someone other than the reporter/columnist to write the headlines.

17. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Reporters never write their own headlines. They have headline writers that do that. So, it appears someone jumped the gun. Nevertheless, we'll see Slaton with the first team quite often against a very good defense, and one running the same style as we'll see in week one. Let's see what the kid can do and go from there.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

he's certainly getting the reps. one of the biggest surprises of the pre-season & has fast become the workhorse of the RB's so your concerns are justified, once again best option.

:specnatz:

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

On radio 610 MCClain just revealed that Green would not play the rest of the preseason.............that this is what the coaches told him they planned all along. They certainly never made that statement anywhere that I heard or for that matter anyone else heard. This seems like just another example of the Texans Two-Truth. And as aj previously wrote, if Green is on final roster, he gets his payload guaranteed. Either the Texans have made the decision to cut Green or, can you say "STUPID?"

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Or maybe pictures in Greens possession of Messrs. Kubiak or Smith in an uncomprosing situation with a female companion ?
    Seriously, how can they keep Green and commit the cap for him without atleast one more test drive in preseason ?
    But I'm getting real excited about Slaton. I just googled him and WOW, he had a prodigous career at WV with some pretty dang good measurebles in post season events like his proday. Some say he wasn't drafted higher because of his size, which implies durability issues ?
    I see the guys a PA native, from Philly. He's gotta be pretty dang excited about the prospect of getting on the field vs the Steelers up there in the season opener.