Rookie Mini-Camp

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 10, 2019.

1. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

If you're sitting on the bench, you're not filling anything other than a roster spot, you aren't filling a position. Picking up Kalil in FA does nothing to alter their worth as draft picks. As of now, Kalil is nothing more than Boselli 2.0, without having reached the Boselli potential.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Jason Peters, we have Julien Davenport. To behave as if we're on equal footing is a fool's errand. What you call short-sighted, I call prudent. We need a starter to protect Watson NOW, or he won't be around to protect when your big-upside LT is finally ready.

Does that make Dillard legit then...as he didn't make it past 22? :kitten:

The second OT doesn't usually last until #22, much less 23.
    Care to go back and chart how the second OT taken in the draft overall has fared? Has the third been better or worse? How have they looked as rookies?

Agreed, it's too early. Maybe Kalil makes a complete turnaround and is ready both physically and mentally Day 1. Maybe Davenport makes gigantic strides in year two. Maybe Tytus Howard is not only the real deal, but is ready to go Day 1. Maybe Scharping surprises everyone and displaces a starter by September.

If ANY of the above scenarios happen, I'd be almost giddy
    . If more than one happens (or God forbid, we actually have quality depth when needed), I'll be ecstatic. Those are some long odds though. Hell, at this point I'd be happy if our max protect percentage falls by 20% or more.

ArlingtonTexan likes this.
  2. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Interesting...If I had to pick one, I'd have said a speed rush.

infantrycak likes this.
  3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agree it's a long shot.

It's kinda sad that the Texans org has put themselves in this position.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  4. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yes, he said Clowney is either lazy or unathletic, and he's not unathletic.

39:25- questions his work ethic

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    JB likes this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Talking heads that probably never played organized football

CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I believe that everyone should listen to that part of the podcast to put it in context. Lazy was not ever mentioned. Work ethic was in the context of not putting effort in developing any more moves (expanding his repertoire) over a long period of time..........at the same time of seeking to be paid on the level of elite counterparts that have.

7. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Fair enough. He mentioned work ethic and was basically saying lack of work ethic is why he isn't an elite pass rusher. To me that means lazy but people can decide for themselves.

Personally I think he's not an elite pass rusher because it's hard to be one. Maybe there's something about his body or how he moves that prevents him from being elite in that area . But he's still very good at pass rushing.

HaveMercy likes this.
  8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't believe he was brought in to be an 'elite pass rusher' of the Miller/Mercilus type. His forte is a dominant run defender from the edge that also causes match-up nightmares and he is elite at that

HaveMercy likes this.
  9. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yep and maybe they don't want to pay him because it's a passing league now. Or maybe it really is just the knee. I don't think it's work ethic

CWTexansFan, HaveMercy and JB like this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't either...I think he would have been called out by JJ if not OB/Weaver/RAC if it was work ethic related...

He's been getting better yearly in the pass rush, perhaps this year he breaks into double digits

11. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Personally, it is quite brave to play with a knee like that.
    He either loves the game and wants to play or he is trying for that big pay day.
    Can't fault him for either.

ObsiWan and HaveMercy like this.
  12. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

If Howard goes on to be an all pro, we definitely didn't whiff on the pick.

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

This is certainly the hope. Usually it takes until second year however so let’s be patient. For now adjust offense to get rid of the ball faster and extra protection. Missed out on some good backs that could have helped balanced running attack. So probably use TE’s a lot finally.

But I remain worried about the corners and backend on D. Linebackers are poor in coverage too while most teams added speed and coverage skills at that position. Just worries the hell out of me, pinning so much on the pass rush.

CWTexansFan and HaveMercy like this.
  14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Sorry, I got confused with all the pronouns. I thought "they" referred to the Texans. The Texans, as you've stated has 4 three threads currently working to "fill the need" Kalil, Davenport, Howard/Sharping.

I agree, we need someone to play LT now. We should have traded up to 8 to get Williams. But we didn't. We should have signed a legit LT in FA... we didn't.

We could have gone BPA & cross our fingers through this season & try again next year, or draft a guy like Dillard or Howard & get them ready for next year.

Again, this is specifically taking into consideration the Eagles do not intend for Dillard to start this year.

Davenport is not Peter's. If Peters & Dillard are like Favre & Rodgers, then Davenport & Howard are Jackson & Wilson.

Position has to be filled. If plan A was out of reach, Williams, plan B is either a Davenport clone in round 4, all eggs in the Kahlil basket, or next year.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 8:29 PM
    steelbtexan and disaacks3 like this.
  15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

What if he doesn't become an All-Pro until his 2nd contract with his 2nd team?

steelbtexan and disaacks3 like this.
  16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Then it was Devlin

17. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

We haven't played a down of football and already calling the picks a fail. I think I will hold my judgement till i see the product on the field. For now, I am undecided whether this draft was good or bad.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

The homer in me has to think it was good until proven otherwise... or what's the point?

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and HaveMercy like this.
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Clowney doesn't have the bend around the edge that the elite pass rushers have.

HaveMercy likes this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Good post

Davenport/Howard are frick and fraco compared to Peters/Dillard.